Is a Schiit Modi 2 Uber + LYR 2 a worth while investment?

Darkmatter35

Okay so I am just thinking for the future right now; window shopping I guess you could say. I own a pair of AKG K712's with a O2 AMP/DAC combo and a set of M-audio AV40 speakers. I plan on purchasing a pair of Fidelio X2's and new speakers in the next couple years. Would upgrading to this AMP/DAC setup be noticeably different than running them on my O2 AMP/DAC? I know that it will make a difference but I wanna know if anyone can tell me how much. You guys have been such a great help these days!

The difference between the odac and the modi should be small. I think a Jotunheim is a better option, unless you wanted tubes.

Yes. But I might go for something like the Valhalla 2 to save a bit of money. And make that modi a modi multibit or a bifrost (possibly multibit).

I can attest to the Valhalla 2 being very good. However, its best with higher impedance headphones, which the K712 are not. But it should still be very good. 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I think it would be worth trying, at least.

What has you interested in the Lyr in particular?

I don't think I would recommend a hybrid tube amp for the X2's. Granted it is a while since I have tried them, but I don't think they are going to do well with a hybrid tube amp. I think a better idea would maybe be a SS amp that has a bit laid back sound to it and maybe a bit warm sounding. Something like a meier audio cores rock or jazz, or a schiit asgard 2 would probably be a better match, but then again this is mostly speculations.

A normal bifrost is quite good value, same with a modi 2 and modi 2m. You should be able to hear a difference between your ODAC and one of these DACs. Same with your O2 and one of the amps I recommended, but I do think it would be worth the try to get a lyr 2 or something like that and try it out with your headphones, it might be great.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

17 hours ago, elira said:

The difference between the odac and the modi should be small. I think a Jotunheim is a better option, unless you wanted tubes.

Heard tubes were better for mids

15 hours ago, spwath said:

Yes. But I might go for something like the Valhalla 2 to save a bit of money. And make that modi a modi multibit or a bifrost (possibly multibit).

I can attest to the Valhalla 2 being very good. However, its best with higher impedance headphones, which the K712 are not. But it should still be very good. 

Thanks for the input!

13 hours ago, SSL said:

I think it would be worth trying, at least.

What has you interested in the Lyr in particular?

Tubes, a nice O2 upgrade. but I don't know much about them

8 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I don't think I would recommend a hybrid tube amp for the X2's. Granted it is a while since I have tried them, but I don't think they are going to do well with a hybrid tube amp. I think a better idea would maybe be a SS amp that has a bit laid back sound to it and maybe a bit warm sounding. Something like a meier audio cores rock or jazz, or a schiit asgard 2 would probably be a better match, but then again this is mostly speculations.

A normal bifrost is quite good value, same with a modi 2 and modi 2m. You should be able to hear a difference between your ODAC and one of these DACs. Same with your O2 and one of the amps I recommended, but I do think it would be worth the try to get a lyr 2 or something like that and try it out with your headphones, it might be great.

Yeah looking at the Asgard 2 and the valhalla 2 now. Doing more research. Really just want a setup where I couldn't say that my amp/dac limits the performance of my headphones. At least to the point where I'm close to diminishing returns

1 minute ago, Darkmatter35 said:

That's an incredibly broad generalization and may not be true even most of the time. As has already been suggested, I'm not sure that the Lyr 2 would be the best pairing with the AKG - maybe, maybe not. It'll emphasize the warmth of the already warm K712, but it's not the most technically capable amp. It's all about delivering power and slam, which pairs better with some headphones than others.

Really just want a setup where I couldn't say that my amp/dac limits the performance of my headphones. At least to the point where I'm close to diminishing returns

I wouldn't recommend going about a high-end audio purchase with that as your goal. Your chief priority should be getting the sound that you want, and if you don't know what sound you want, then figuring it out.

1 hour ago, SSL said:

That's an incredibly broad generalization and may not be true even most of the time. As has already been suggested, I'm not sure that the Lyr 2 would be the best pairing with the AKG - maybe, maybe not. It'll emphasize the warmth of the already warm K712, but it's not the most technically capable amp. It's all about delivering power and slam, which pairs better with some headphones than others.

yeah tubes with K712's is not the best thing ever, there might be a none OTL tube amp that sounds great with them, but I haven't met it yet and I have tested the K712's quite a bit with a lot of different amps and DACs, I would personally get as "neutral"/analytical amp as I can get for them. That is where I think they really show what they are made of.

Then again that might just be me and LOVE for the very analytical sound and the "neutral" sound.

1 hour ago, Darkmatter35 said:

Thanks for the input!

Tubes, a nice O2 upgrade. but I don't know much about them

Yeah looking at the Asgard 2 and the valhalla 2 now. Doing more research. Really just want a setup where I couldn't say that my amp/dac limits the performance of my headphones. At least to the point where I'm close to diminishing returns

with the Valhalla 2 I would recommend using 150 ohm or higher impedance headphones with it, it doesn't have a lot of power below 150 ohm and if I am 100% honest the sound below that 150 ohm mark I am talking about is a bit more "dull" (in lack of a better word), not worlds different but I noticed that the sound was a bit different. I tested this with DT 880 32 ohm and 250 ohm granted this might be because of the headphone. I think the Asgard 2 would be the better match, but only your own ears can decide what you think is the best.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 6/2/2017 at 11:13 AM, SSL said:

I wouldn't recommend going about a high-end audio purchase with that as your goal. Your chief priority should be getting the sound that you want, and if you don't know what sound you want, then figuring it out.

sorry I typed that comment fast. Meant to say that I had heard that tubes where good for mids. What would you say is a good option to deliver that "power and slam"? :P

On 6/2/2017 at 1:02 PM, Dackzy said:

yeah tubes with K712's is not the best thing ever, there might be a none OTL tube amp that sounds great with them, but I haven't met it yet and I have tested the K712's quite a bit with a lot of different amps and DACs, I would personally get as "neutral"/analytical amp as I can get for them. That is where I think they really show what they are made of.

Then again that might just be me and LOVE for the very analytical sound and the "neutral" sound.

with the Valhalla 2 I would recommend using 150 ohm or higher impedance headphones with it, it doesn't have a lot of power below 150 ohm and if I am 100% honest the sound below that 150 ohm mark I am talking about is a bit more "dull" (in lack of a better word), not worlds different but I noticed that the sound was a bit different. I tested this with DT 880 32 ohm and 250 ohm granted this might be because of the headphone. I think the Asgard 2 would be the better match, but only your own ears can decide what you think is the best.

Gosh I don't know what to pick haha. I love analytical sound too but I also love my punchy bass from my lower toned music. TBH i don't think I wanna deal with tubes just because of the whole "gamble" you get with every tube, if that's true or not. 

I think what I will do is purchase a quality amp and dac that can deliver the "power and slam", I really like that definition. Also I will upgrade to some larger speakers that can deliver punchy bass with emphasized mids. 

Any suggestions you guys? You all have been so great!

Lyr 2 with LISST tubes would be an option, as that would be more analytical. Asgard or Jotunheim would be more economical, though.

7 hours ago, Darkmatter35 said:

Gosh I don't know what to pick haha. I love analytical sound too but I also love my punchy bass from my lower toned music. TBH i don't think I wanna deal with tubes just because of the whole "gamble" you get with every tube, if that's true or not. 

I think what I will do is purchase a quality amp and dac that can deliver the "power and slam", I really like that definition. Also I will upgrade to some larger speakers that can deliver punchy bass with emphasized mids. 

Any suggestions you guys? You all have been so great!

TBH I would just get the new audio gd NFB 11.28. It will cost you 330$ + shipping and offers really good audio quality for the price, if you ask me then the OLD NFB 11 beats the JOTUNHEIM without sweating too much and the new one is just the old one with a few upgrades and a 25$ higher price tag. The biggest problem is that you have to wait quite a while before you get it.

I don't know what speakers I would recommend, just go to a local audio store and test everything.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

TBH I would just get the new audio gd NFB 11.28. It will cost you 330$ + shipping and offers really good audio quality for the price, if you ask me then the OLD NFB 11 beats the JOTUNHEIM without sweating too much and the new one is just the old one with a few upgrades and a 25$ higher price tag. The biggest problem is that you have to wait quite a while before you get it.

I don't know what speakers I would recommend, just go to a local audio store and test everything.

I don't think audio-gd products are the best choice considering how bad the S19 was.

1 minute ago, seduce_me said:

I don't think audio-gd products are the best choice considering how bad the S19 was.

their budget stuff is really good and I mean REALLY good. It is kinda weird, but the higher you go in their lineups the warmer the sound kinda gets.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Is this what you are talking about? 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Their product looks really diverse! More diverse than schitt products. Is there a reason behind this? It looks amazingly high quality

Is this what you are talking about? 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Their product looks really diverse! More diverse than schitt products. Is there a reason behind this? It looks amazingly high quality

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm that's the updated/upgraded version.

The biggest "problem" with them is that they test your product and "burn it in" and therefore there will be some scratches on it.

They make quite a few different types of products with a good range of different chips.