How does Synergy transfer Files between PC?

Go to solution Solved by desertcomputer,
6 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

Synergy, the one keyboard and mouse solution can drag and drop files on different PC with different OS, so how does it do it? Through the LAN? so the transfer will be slower if the connection is WiFi instead of ethernet cable? Just a curious thought.

Pretty much, Im pretty sure they are still using TCP to transmit data through lan, maybe UDP in their new update with encryption for more reliability maybe.  I don't really use it as much as now, due to the fact I never really use my laptop on my main desk anymore. 

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

that's why it is called "F M".  Friggin' Magic.

Not magic ... 

Synergy, the one keyboard and mouse solution can drag and drop files on different PC with different OS, so how does it do it? Through the LAN? so the transfer will be slower if the connection is WiFi instead of ethernet cable? Just a curious thought.

It just does?!

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

6 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

Pretty much, Im pretty sure they are still using TCP to transmit data through lan, maybe UDP in their new update with encryption for more reliability maybe.  I don't really use it as much as now, due to the fact I never really use my laptop on my main desk anymore. 

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

that's why it is called "F M".  Friggin' Magic.

Not magic ... 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

Not magic ... 

Finally someone with a serious answer, Then if it has a Gigabyte network(with all supporting hardware like SSD) it would also transfer faster is what i assume? it is quite cool to transfer files on different OS in the blink of an eye, because USB3.0 really takes time when transferring huge files.

you can answer your question by capture network packets with something like wireshark

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

you can answer your question by capture network packets with something like wireshark

I dont have synergy yet

You probably mean gigabit network card using regular ethernet cable, which means data flows between computers at up to 125 MB/s . In contrast the maximum usb 3.0 speed is 5 gbps or about 600 MB/s.

If you have something big like 50-100 GB to transfer, in theory it would be faster to plug an external ssd on a usb 3.0 port, copy data on it, then connect the usb 3.0 drive to the other computer and copy the files to the local drive. It should be faster than 125 MB/s sustained between computers.

Wireless network cards have half the advertised speed in either direction, so for example if the wireless card says it can do 866 mbps, that means in either direction it can do only about 400 mbps or about 50 MB/s (ideal case, usually would be around 40 MB/s)

For smaller quantities or if you're lazy, copying over the network is fast and easy.

Duh, naturally when you drag a file from one computer to another computer, some software on one computer connects to the software on the other computer (synergy runs on both pcs in background) and the programs exchange data packets and transfer the file.

There's no guarantee the transfer would be super fast, because the transfer could be intentionally slowed down or it could be encrypted for safety. IN particular in the case of remote software products like TeamViewer or VNC software (tightvnc, realvnc etc) , file transfers have also low priority over the stream of data that sends user screen refreshes, mouse movement, key presses in the other direction.

You can always transfer files between two computers super fast, no need to use sinergy for that. Just share the folder with file and you can then simply access the share folder on the other computer and drag it to the local hard drive on that computer.  The file would be transferred reasonably fast, most likely much faster.

I personally prefer to install a FTP server software on one computer and i set up an account which allows users to access any file from the computer once they use the password for that account.

So on another computer, I can simply start a ftp client application, connect to my computer (a simple bookmark in the menu, a click) and drag files over and the client software can transfer multiple files simultaneously in order to use the maximum connection speed between computers. It's certainly much faster than using network share and i don't have to share the folder and unshare the folder every time, but it's not as "stupid easy" as dragging a file across computers.  It requires extra steps like starting the ftp client application and going to the folder i want to copy and dragging it to the local hard drive.

38 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

Finally someone with a serious answer, Then if it has a Gigabyte network(with all supporting hardware like SSD) it would also transfer faster is what i assume? it is quite cool to transfer files on different OS in the blink of an eye, because USB3.0 really takes time when transferring huge files.

It should first transfer to system ram than your SSD ram and than the dies. It also depends if it alot of smaller files it would take longer, but usually one big files takes faster. USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 should be faster than gigabyte if both drives support 3.0 speeds but most don't. 

Magical Pineapples