Extremely bad speeds SSD

kurtinator177

87a7d5c2e2cd83a05cfcbd37cbdb3f1b.png

Extremely bad speeds on ssd recently causing windows to run like garbage  ,ahci is on,drive is plugged into a sata 3 controller ?!?!? :(

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

How full is the SSD?

31.2gb free of 111gb available

CrystalDiskInfo giving any SMART info?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1. SATA controller in IDE mode rather than AHCI
  2. 840 series are very old and full of issues - cell voltage drift is a major one

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

CrystalDiskInfo giving any SMART info?

e27a40cbd3879c848aec47178323cdb4.png

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:
  2. 840 series are very old and full of issues - cell voltage drift is a major one

yeah windows seems to think its in IDE... but bios is set to AHCi :/ 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

Not all 840's are bad, I've been rocking on mine, solid results. 

I strongly believe it's a driver issue, as Samsung released a patch for it, IIRC.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Just now, Foxxer said:

Not all 840's are bad, I've been rocking on mine, solid results. 

I strongly believe it's a driver issue, as Samsung released a patch for it, IIRC.

Samsung released a patch that reduces cells life dramatically, cell voltage drift was a problem that could not and cannot be fixed

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Samsung released a patch that reduces cells life dramatically, cell voltage drift was a problem that could not and cannot be fixed

Did Intel SSD's have the same issue and got fixed? 

I remember when they cost $390 for 120gb lel.

I found this; 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

23 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Does a regular file transfer (do a large file) or copy if you don't have another SSD to transfer to/from have it perform as expected?

The only other thing I can think of is the partition isn't 4K aligned. But that's an old problem.

What is 4k aligned?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

16deaa8461c6140fd7d0df7ba3c5e7e1.png

Ok so fresh install of all mobo drivers / updated bios /made 100% sure AHCI is working and did a firmware update on the drive and im now here is slightly better but still well under the write speeds of my Hdd's

3 hours ago, AstroBenny said:

What is 4k aligned?

Drives are divided into disks, tracks, and sectors. A disk the actual platter on a drive, tracks are the circles around the disk, and sectors are chunks in the track. Sectors were 512 bytes in size, which also includes some bytes for overhead, like information about the sector and error correction. A few years ago this was increased to 4096 bytes (or 4K) because it makes better use of the disk space. However, for compatibility reasons, drives can emulate the old 512 byte sector, even though the sectors are still 4K. For the purposes of compatibility, SSDs are also organized this way.

4K aligned means that the partition starts at the beginning of a 4K sector. If the partition was formatted from a 512 byte sector storage drive then is moved over to a 4K sector drive, then it's possible for the partition to start in the middle of a 4K sector. Which means it has to do extra operations to read or write out a 4K sector, reducing performance (for more info, see https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/align-partition.html)

But it's likely this isn't the problem, but if OP wants to verify:

• Open up Start Search and type in "msinfo32", it should pop up with "System Information"
  • Go to Components > Storage > Disks
  • For each partition, look for the "Partition Starting Offset". If this number is not wholly divisible by 4096, the partition is not 4K aligned.

It's not a very good model.  However, with 21MB/s 4K read speeds (a benchmark on an Amazon review shows 25MB/s, but it's luck of the draw) you should be getting pretty decent performance.  I'm guessing that there's something else slowing down your system.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, Foxxer said:

Did Intel SSD's have the same issue and got fixed? 

not that I recall

3 hours ago, kurtinator177 said:

Ok so fresh install of all mobo drivers / updated bios /made 100% sure AHCI is working and did a firmware update on the drive and im now here is slightly better but still well under the write speeds of my Hdd's

I would test that SSD on a Intel machine, just to be sure

as I said previously, AMD has kinda' shitty SATA controllers

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Drives are divided into disks, tracks, and sectors. A disk the actual platter on a drive, tracks are the circles around the disk, and sectors are chunks in the track. Sectors were 512 bytes in size, which also includes some bytes for overhead, like information about the sector and error correction. A few years ago this was increased to 4096 bytes (or 4K) because it makes better use of the disk space. However, for compatibility reasons, drives can emulate the old 512 byte sector, even though the sectors are still 4K. For the purposes of compatibility, SSDs are also organized this way.

4K aligned means that the partition starts at the beginning of a 4K sector. If the partition was formatted from a 512 byte sector storage drive then is moved over to a 4K sector drive, then it's possible for the partition to start in the middle of a 4K sector. Which means it has to do extra operations to read or write out a 4K sector, reducing performance (for more info, see https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/align-partition.html)

But it's likely this isn't the problem, but if OP wants to verify:

• Open up Start Search and type in "msinfo32", it should pop up with "System Information"
  • Go to Components > Storage > Disks
  • For each partition, look for the "Partition Starting Offset". If this number is not wholly divisible by 4096, the partition is not 4K aligned.

Thanks for info, really appreciated.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)