Bitcoin/Cryptocurrency Craze Wipes out AMD GPU Supply

These chaps say they have at least 10,000 cards mining in Iceland right now.

That's were most EU stock went :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Valentyn said:

These chaps say they have at least 10,000 cards mining in Iceland right now.

That's were most EU stock went :P

I wonder what happened to most of the older mass mining workplaces, like seriously, when the GPUs these guys are using now become inefficient compared to newer technologies, what do they do with them all?

I don't think I've ever seen an eBay listing for a couple thousand GPUs advertised as being ex-mining cards lol. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

10 minutes ago, DIV1D3 said:

I wonder what happened to most of the older mass mining workplaces, like seriously, when the GPUs these guys are using now become inefficient compared to newer technologies, what do they do with them all?

I don't think I've ever seen an eBay listing for a couple thousand GPUs advertised as being ex-mining cards lol. 

Most are likely sold off, although would you want a card that was so abused all of its existence? The poor PTSD alone. :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Most are likely sold off, although would you want a card that was so abused all of its existence? The poor PTSD alone. :P

That is why these bursts of popularity in Crypto Mining is so damaging to the used GPU market, not only are you polluting the pool of GPUs to select from (because people won't dare advertise their used GPUs as being ex-miners, they are assumed to be run at 100%, 24/7), but also degrading the overall prices of the used card market.

More Competition + Lower Quality Product = Reduced Prices for ALL

Not so good for buyers, and terrible for sellers. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

1 minute ago, DIV1D3 said:

That is why these bursts of popularity in Crypto Mining is so damaging to the used GPU market, not only are you polluting the pool of GPUs to select from (because people won't dare advertise their used GPUs as being ex-miners, they are assumed to be run at 100%, 24/7), but also degrading the overall prices of the used card market.

is that why lots of 280x's/7970s are so cheap used now and lots are easy and cheap to buy from GPU mining sites?

lots were advertised as ex-mining cards. 

it's not bad for the used market - it drives down prices and you can tell that it was used for mining by the age of the card. for example I've seen 3 months old 480s, asked the seller and he said it was running in an open air mining bench at 70 ish c while mining. why else would he be selling them? think about it. unless you're leaving the country or something, why.. 

idk

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

is that why lots of 280x's/7970s are so cheap used now and lots are easy and cheap to buy from GPU mining sites?

lots were advertised as ex-mining cards. 

it's not bad for the used market - it drives down prices and you can tell that it was used for mining by the age of the card. for example I've seen 3 months old 480s, asked the seller and he said it was running in an open air mining bench at 70 ish c while mining. why else would he be selling them? think about it. unless you're leaving the country or something, why.. 

If I was upgrading my components, I'd look to sell my old hardware. No use in keeping a 280X if you've just bought a GTX 1070 and have no other computer setups. 

As I mentioned, it's good for buyers, in some cases, but you'll have the off chance of buying a brutally used GPU that hasn't got a break since it was unboxed. For sellers, there's absolutely no upside, more competition which advertise for far less than average drastically reduces your returns. 

32 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

i know for a fact that my 290 was used for mining , and thats a ref card , running for over a year at 95c and still going strong (now on water :P )  

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

pretty , the 290 @ 1100mhz can make 30mh/s , id say a 290x shud be pretty much the same , thats like 4~5$ a day depending on the Course of eth

Chucked on NiceHash just to see how good it would be, so the two 290X's are doing $7.68 USD/day. Nice thing is mine are water cooled so I'll try some OC'ing soon :). Winter is also just getting cold and peak power of my system is about 800W so it'll be better to mine than run my heater lol.

Edit:

@Space Reptile

3% OC on a single card put it up to 7.81, 50% return on OC isn't bad at all.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Chucked on NiceHash just to see how good it would be, so the two 290X's are doing $7.68 USD/day. Nice thing is mine are water cooled so I'll try some OC'ing soon :). Winter is also just getting cold and peak power of my system is about 800W so it'll be better to mine than run my heater lol.

nice , i hope you have a wallet as thats like ~240$ /m :) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

nice , i hope you have a wallet as thats like ~240$ /m :) 

It's black and has way too many cards in it, lots of them long expired ;).

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's black and has way too many cards in it, lots of them long expired ;).

i mean a Bitcoin wallet (id reccomend paxful :ph34r:)

trust me im not payed by them to say this

PSU Tier list

5 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

i mean a Bitcoin wallet (id reccomend paxful :ph34r:)

trust me im not payed by them to say this

I might have been playing dumb lol.

Edit:

Up to 8.10/day btw.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I might have been playing dumb lol.

Edit:

Up to 8.10/day btw.

i thought so :P 

nice , thats quite some dosh

PSU Tier list

I remember when there was a demand for 7950s because of this craze back in the old days...which is just like a couple of years ago.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Mining question - How does it work? I mean does it take long before you get your first coin or something?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Just now, YoloSwag said:

Mining question - How does it work? I mean does it take long before you get your first coin or something?

You won't be getting it in whole coins, rather you get a fraction of a coin depending on how much you contributed to the pools progress (a group of miners). 

I mean, you could mine a crypto by yourself, but that's silly as it's the same amount of money/power but just more infrequent. 

Dunno about how quickly you can get it up and running, from what it seems nowadays it's really quick and as simple as downloading the miner and launching it. 

4 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

depends , usually you dont get payed in full coin but rather a microcoin ( a 1/1000th fraction) and it all depends on how much you make and what pool / Service you use , it can be daily , or could be every week

PSU Tier list

5 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

depends , usually you dont get payed in full coin but rather a microcoin ( a 1/1000th fraction) and it all depends on how much you make and what pool / Service you use , it can be daily , or could be every week

Dang, it sounds like some legit treasure hunting quest in a game where you need the fractions to make it complete.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

1 minute ago, YoloSwag said:

Dang, it sounds like some legit treasure hunting quest in a game where you need the fractions to make it complete.

haha not really all you do is to tell your pc to make Money and check on it every now and then :P 

then you wait for the weekly ping on your phone as you get your payout

PSU Tier list

Welp. Selling my shelved AMD GPUs then D:

I wonder how much I can get for my rx 480 xD

In all seriousness, I might just sell my dad's 290s and my mom's 280x, replace them with nvidia cards and still make a profit <__<

L.E.: HOLY HELL!

Just checked the usual retailers I buy from and there is literally no 400 or 500 series card in stock. Dayum

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

haha not really all you do is to tell your pc to make Money and check on it every now and then :P 

then you wait for the weekly ping on your phone as you get your payout

Sounds nice. How does the R5 1600 do? or you never use it to mine? does it take a month for a coin or more than?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Just now, YoloSwag said:

Sounds nice. How does the R5 1600 do? or you never use it to mine? does it take a month for a coin or more than?

my 1600 makes 1.00~1.10$ a day , i use a pool miner so i get fractions , a full coin would take me Close to a year w/ all my gear that is currently mining  

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Would take wayyyy more than a month to mine a full coin with a R5 1600, go check how much they are worth ;).

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Would take wayyyy more than a month to mine a full coin with a R5 1600, go check how much they are worth ;).

my 1600 makes 1.00~1.10$ a day , i use a pool miner so i get fractions , a full coin would take me Close to a year w/ all my gear that is currently mining  

Sounds bad. I'll have to think about a bunch of other stuff and some detailed cost-based analysis before jumping on the bandwagon. Thought it was easy.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler