Asus gl702vm heat issues

Hello, so I'm looking for a gaming laptop with the new pascal gpus. I've found a few good options one in particular was the Asus ROG Strix GL702vm, it looks like a great laptop as it has an i7 6700 HQ, 16 GB of DDR4 Ram, 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM and a Gtx 1060 6GB. It has a 17.3 inch 1080p IPS panel but what's cool in this is that it has a GSYNC 75hz panel which is pretty attractive for someone like me who has a 768p 60hz panel. 

I was comparing it to the Lenovo Y520 which has an i7 7700HQ, 16 GB of DDR4 Ram, 1 TB HDD and a 128 GB SSD but it has a Gtx 1050 ti which has a noticeably lower performance than the Gtx 1060.

Now, the choice is obvious I should choose the Asus laptop however, it has heat issues like SERIOUS heat issues. CPU and GPU average at around 85 degrees for the GPU and 90 degrees for the CPU with sometimes the CPU rising to 100 degrees which is horrific and terrifying to see. Since I'll be using it for the next 4-5 years I need to be sure the hardware won't be affected by the heat generated by the laptop and that it will last me a good 4-5 years without any issues and with these heat problems it really doesn't look like it can handle that much heat specially I do live in a hot country. 

People said there are fixes you can do to this but they all involve unvolting the cpu which disables the turbo boost and has a significant dip in performance also since it's pretty expensive I'd like to have a laptop that's ready to be used out of the box and will last time a good 4-5 years.

Now there is the Lenovo Y720 with all the above + a gtx 1060 however the panel isn't Gsync, it's 15 inches and is locked at 60hz.

Basically I just need enlightenment on the Asus laptop if it's really that bad as they say and won't last 4-5 years if so, what other options do I have around this price point with the gtx 1060 since the difference between it and the 1050 ti is really significant.

Try undervolting CPU, if not try replacing thermal paste

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Try undervolting CPU, if not try replacing thermal paste

But that will decrease it's performance also replacing thermal paste is pretty advanced stuff don't you think? Anyways, how's your laptop doing as it's my second choice is it good for gaming etc.? I'm gonna check the review right now.

16 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

But that will decrease it's performance also replacing thermal paste is pretty advanced stuff don't you think? Anyways, how's your laptop doing as it's my second choice is it good for gaming etc.? I'm gonna check the review right now.

Slightly decrease but not too significant

Actually not that hard if you follow the guidelines

Umm don't expect playing most games at smooth framerates at ultra settings with 1050TI

Also i7+1050TI may have slightly higher temps since they output more heat

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Slightly decrease but not too significant

Actually not that hard if you follow the guidelines

Umm don't expect playing most games at smooth framerates at ultra settings with 1050TI

Also i7+1050TI may have slightly higher temps since they output more heat

So the Lenovo Y520 actually outputs more heat than the Asus Gl702vm? Weird..

8 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

So the Lenovo Y520 actually outputs more heat than the Asus Gl702vm? Weird..

I mean the i7+1050TI variant of Y520 will have higher temps than the temps in my review since mine has i5+1050

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/27/2017 at 3:58 PM, ZM Fong said:

I mean the i7+1050TI variant of Y520 will have higher temps than the temps in my review since mine has i5+1050

So right now I'm looking at the Y520 over the asus gl702vm since the Asus option has much much higher temperatures while idle or lite use and I need it to be able to place it on my lap for watching youtube videos. 

However I'm looking at the higher end of the Y520 specifically the one with the, i7 7700hq, 16 GB of DDR4 Ram, 1 TB hdd + 128 GB ssd and gtx 1050 ti.

How are the temperatures idle/lite use/heavy use (benchmarks gaming) and how is it so far? Have you been enjoying it? If you had the money and could go back in time would you buy the Asus gl702vm over it whilst knowing it gets hot?

Right now, I'm honestly dreaming about getting the Y720 but I can rarely find it and even when I do it's pretty pricey. I don't know if you'd know this but would it be a better choice than the Asus gl702vm?

On 5/27/2017 at 9:28 AM, DarthVader61425 said:

But that will decrease it's performance 

Undervolting doesn't affect performance - Undervolting and Underclocking are two different things.  Most laptops come with a stock bios setting that is assembled to make sure that ALL laptops work stable, no matter what the silicon lottery has to say.  Sometimes that is sending an overly generous amount of voltage to the CPU - My Alienware 13 R3, for instance, is stable on a -120mV undervolt.  This is the stock clock.

In fact, when I undervolted performance INCREASED because I now had more thermal headroom to bump up the turbo boost time.

1 hour ago, CerberusLabrat said:

Undervolting doesn't affect performance - Undervolting and Underclocking are two different things.  Most laptops come with a stock bios setting that is assembled to make sure that ALL laptops work stable, no matter what the silicon lottery has to say.  Sometimes that is sending an overly generous amount of voltage to the CPU - My Alienware 13 R3, for instance, is stable on a -120mV undervolt.  This is the stock clock.

In fact, when I undervolted performance INCREASED because I now had more thermal headroom to bump up the turbo boost time.

Okay, 1: How much was the impact on temps after undervolting like how many degrees (preferably in Celsius) did it go down after doing so.

2: What happens if I undervolt it too much and my pc crashes what do I do then? 

3: Is undervolting my CPU enough? Because undervolting my gpu seems to complicated.

Just now, DarthVader61425 said:

Okay, 1: How much was the impact on temps after undervolting like how many degrees (preferably in Celsius) did it go down after doing so.

2: What happens if I undervolt it too much and my pc crashes what do I do then? 

3: Is undervolting my CPU enough? Because undervolting my gpu seems to complicated.

1. my 120mV undervolt took my computer from 82C at load to 67C at load

2. Intel XTU will automatically reset your settings to default on the next boot.  Dial back your undervolt by 10mV and try again.

3. I am only familiar with undervolting CPUs.  Can't help you all that much on the GPU front right now.

1. my 120mV undervolt took my computer from 82C at load to 67C at load

2. Intel XTU will automatically reset your settings to default on the next boot.  Dial back your undervolt by 10mV and try again.

3. I am only familiar with undervolting CPUs.  Can't help you all that much on the GPU front right now.

Okay thanks a lot for your help. One last thing, so do you recommend the Asus gl702vm over the Lenovo Legion Y520 because of the better graphics card? Since if VR becomes more affordable in the future I'll have a VR ready pc ready to go? It's temps can go up to 100 degrees on the cpu from some benchmarks I saw but most people say it goes from high 80's to mid 90's if I undervolt it there should be a decrease in temps but it'll probably only be to high 70's to mid 80's and I want to use it for 4-5 years without frying my CPU. So what do you suggest?

The games I play right now are Minecraft but I'm gonna start using it with shaders which tends to make it go down to depending on the shaders 60 fps but in the future I plan to play games that are really intensive both CPU and GPU like Battlefield 1 etc.

Mid 80s should be fine on the CPU...uncomfortable for your thighs, probably.  But the CPU will be fine. 

Have you looked at other 1060 laptops like the Alienware 13 R3, the Asus GL502VM, the MSI GS63VR, etc?  I've heard the GL702VM is not equal to the GL502VM on a quality standpoint.

Mid 80s should be fine on the CPU...uncomfortable for your thighs, probably.  But the CPU will be fine. 

Have you looked at other 1060 laptops like the Alienware 13 R3, the Asus GL502VM, the MSI GS63VR, etc?  I've heard the GL702VM is not equal to the GL502VM on a quality standpoint.

Yeah but I'm really controlled with what the shops in my country have to offer since I can't order online. Don't think we have MSI maybe Alienware but those tend to be like 2000$ here which is pretty absurd. 

Is the Asus GL502VM better in terms of cooling? Because I was watching Dave Lee's review on both of them and one user commented "Why would you have heat in the title of the GL702VM review but not the GL502VM when the GL502VM gets hotter" and this was believable because the GL702VM is bigger since it's a 17 inch and has a third fan. 

If the Asus GL502VM is better in terms of cooling then I'll try and see if I can find it. Anyways I won't be gaming on my lap I'll just be watching yt but still the idle temps of the Asus GL702VM are 50-60 degrees which is pretty hot and that's without youtube.

Also the reason I'm confused between which has better cooling in terms of Asus is because one video is in Fahrenheit and the other in Celsius.

I've been looking at the Y720 but I don't know if it's in the shops in my country and it's probably really expensive. 

33 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

How are the temperatures idle/lite use/heavy use (benchmarks gaming) and how is it so far? Have you been enjoying it?

So far so good. Temps are excellent IMO

35 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

Right now, I'm honestly dreaming about getting the Y720 but I can rarely find it and even when I do it's pretty pricey. I don't know if you'd know this but would it be a better choice than the Asus gl702vm?

You can go for other laptops with GTX 1060 GPU inside. Make sure to check their reviews before buying.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

Is the Asus GL502VM better in terms of cooling? Because I was watching Dave Lee's review on both of them and one user commented "Why would you have heat in the title of the GL702VM review but not the GL502VM when the GL502VM gets hotter" and this was believable because the GL702VM is bigger since it's a 17 inch and has a third fan. 

They both run hot.  The 'quality' in the GL502VM is build quality I believe - just how solid it feels and holds together.  I keep specifying GL502VM because I've been told (by @Pendragon among many others) that the GL502VM is great but the GL502VS is a turd.  He would probably be more familiar with the GL702 quality vs. the GL502. 

They both run hot.  The 'quality' in the GL502VM is build quality I believe - just how solid it feels and holds together.  I keep specifying GL502VM because I've been told (by @Pendragon among many others) that the GL502VM is great but the GL502VS is a turd.  He would probably be more familiar with the GL702 quality vs. the GL502. 

Okay, again sorry for asking so many questions but as you can see so far only 2 people have responded to my thread and I am genuinely worried about which laptop to get.

When I undervolt too much will it restart by itself or do I have to restart? If it doesn't restart itself how do I notice I undervolted too much.

Also could I put the Asus gl702vm on my lap while watching youtube without burning my legs? Idle temps could be anywhere from 40-60 so maybe add 10 when watching yt is it still comfortable to use or? 

If you undervolt too much it will shut off on it's own and then reboot with the stock settings. On Alienware 13s you can just start at a 100mV undervolt and then just got 5mV at a time from there until it crashes.  Then dial back 10mV and stress test it for 5 minutes to make sure it's stable.

Since I don't know Asus and I can't check Reddit right now (blocked), I would just start at 0 and do -5mV at a time (again, do this until it crashes, then just dial back 10mV and stress test)

If you undervolt too much it will shut off on it's own and then reboot with the stock settings. On Alienware 13s you can just start at a 100mV undervolt and then just got 5mV at a time from there until it crashes.  Then dial back 10mV and stress test it for 5 minutes to make sure it's stable.

Since I don't know Asus and I can't check Reddit right now (blocked), I would just start at 0 and do -5mV at a time (again, do this until it crashes, then just dial back 10mV and stress test)

Okay I heard from some people that the Asus gl702vm can go anywhere from -100mV to -150mV I would've wished that I didn't have to download an app to stress it and stuff but it is what it is. Anyways, hopefully I find a better laptop with a gtx 1060 since a lot of people say they've returned the Asus gl702vm due to heat issues, please let me know if you know anyone with the same laptop and if you know how it is for them so far in terms of temps etc.

4 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

Okay I heard from some people that the Asus gl702vm can go anywhere from -100mV to -150mV I would've wished that I didn't have to download an app to stress it and stuff but it is what it is. Anyways, hopefully I find a better laptop with a gtx 1060 since a lot of people say they've returned the Asus gl702vm due to heat issues, please let me know if you know anyone with the same laptop and if you know how it is for them so far in terms of temps etc.

Intel XTU (the app you will need to undervolt it anyway) has a built in stress test.  Just use that.

9 hours ago, DarthVader61425 said:

You cannot undervolt GPUs. Unless there is some next gen custom Prema custom bios. But no. You can't. 

On 5/27/2017 at 9:59 AM, DarthVader61425 said:

Hello, so I'm looking for a gaming laptop with the new pascal gpus. I've found a few good options one in particular was the Asus ROG Strix GL702vm, it looks like a great laptop as it has an i7 6700 HQ, 16 GB of DDR4 Ram, 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM and a Gtx 1060 6GB. It has a 17.3 inch 1080p IPS panel but what's cool in this is that it has a GSYNC 75hz panel which is pretty attractive for someone like me who has a 768p 60hz panel. 

Dude why are you getting this laptop. What's your budget? Where are you?

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p