Is it safe to game? (CPU temps)

Okay, so I have a 4790k (not overclcoked but 4.4 GHz turbo boost across all cores) with a CM 212 EVO - which is a pretty underpowered cooler for this CPU, I guess.

Now, currently in the UK the weather is ridiculously hot and having 3 monitors, a PS4 and a PC running makes the room even hotter. Right now my idle CPU temps are 45oc - 50oc, they are usually 32 - 35oc when the weather is normal.

Is it still safe to game or wouldn't you recommend it?

Load temps?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

you'll know when it's too hot because your computer with throttle to keep below TJmax, and shutdown when it hits TJmax.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Yeah those temps are pretty much normal for a hot day i would say if the temps peak at 70c it will be ok. 

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You are fine up to about 90*C ... what voltage do you use?

Stock auto voltages.

Goes to about 1.23v on load and 0.800v idle. I know I could probably undevolt it but I can't be bothered to mess with that.

4 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

you'll know when it's too hot because your computer with throttle to keep below TJmax, and shutdown when it hits TJmax.

Alright, so nothing will go up in flames, right? lol

it'll be fine. 

it will throttle and save itself before anything bad will happen, 90c doesn't come easy so it probably won't even throttle.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

Just now, Celios said:

Stock auto voltages.

Goes to about 1.23v on load and 0.800v idle. I know I could probably undevolt it but I can't be bothered to mess with that.

1.23V is not stock, that's what your motherboard gives the CPU if you use adaptive voltage, and it overcompensates most of the time. If you increase the CPU clock the voltage will rise as well, increasing temperature quite a bit.

If your 4790k is a half decent then you should be able to handle 4.4GHz at 1.18-1.2V without any issues. (when you set manual voltage)

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1.23V is not stock, that's what your motherboard gives the CPU if you use adaptive voltage, and it overcompensates most of the time. If you increase the CPU clock the voltage will rise as well, increasing temperature quite a bit.

If your 4790k is a half decent then you should be able to handle 4.4GHz at 1.18-1.2V without any issues. (when you set manual voltage)

No, 1.040v is the stock, but since "ASUS Multicore Enhancement" is enabled (by defualt) it puts all cores to 4.4GHz, instead of just 4.2 GHz Intel Turbo Boost. Intel Turbo Boost only does 4.4 GHz on a single core but ASUS MCE does it on all 4 cores. Adaptive voltage isn't enabled, it's set to auto, trust me.

EDIT: I understand I could get better temps by setting a manual voltage with C-states enabled for idle voltage, but I'd rather not mess around, I have better things to spend my time on.

Just now, Celios said:

No, 1.040v is the stock, but since "ASUS Multicore Enhancement" is enabled (by defualt) it puts all cores to 4.4GHz, instead of just 4.2 GHz Intel Turbo Boost.. Intel Turbo Boost only does 4.4 GHz on a single core but ASUS MCE does it on all 4 cores. Adaptive voltage isn't enabled, it's set to auto, trust me.

All right, it's just that every motherboard does this differently.

My Gigabyte board also uses turbo for all cores but it makes the voltage to go to almost 1.3V at 3.9GHz, I can do 4.6GHz at 1.3V with manual overclocking.

Just now, WereCat said:

All right, it's just that every motherboard does this differently.

My Gigabyte board also uses turbo for all cores but it makes the voltage to go to almost 1.3V at 3.9GHz, I can do 4.6GHz at 1.3V with manual overclocking.

Yeah, I edited the post. I fully understand I could probably get like 4.5 or 4.6 with 1.2v but it won't really benefit me and I'd rather spend my time on other things.

As long as you are under 90 is should be fine, but i do not recommend running at 90 all the time