server hosting box?

hey guys i want to host my own sever that i made in html. i want to run it through my personal internet, however i don't want to make my main PC run 24/7 so i was wondering if there was a cheep little box i could buy to host my small sight 24/7 so i don't have to use a hosting service, is there a cheap way to do that? thanks for any help.

Craigslist>Computers>q6600 Systems. 

not joking, quad core, ddr2 is cheap and reliable. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Just now, Mohenjo said:

Craiglsit>Computers>q6600 Systems. 

not joking, quad core, ddr2 is cheap and reliable. 

Agreed. Zotac also has some mini pcs that are power efficient and have low power consumption for around $150. 

4 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

Agreed. Zotac also has some mini pcs that are power efficient and have low power consumption for around $150. 

what would be the limits of that i.e. how much traffic could it handle (im very new to web hosting/design iand i just want to make a sever for sharing info on a game im working on designing and i want people to be able to view it at anytime i.e. showing pics videos and news updates)

What kind of servers do you want to host? Gaming servers for 100+ players? A website for ~1 access a day? A storage server? A VPN server?

There is no sense in running a q6600 or an i5 2XXX or something similar 24/7 when all you want is a website or a vpn for a few people...

And if you tell me what kind of servers you want to host, I can add them to this guide :) 

13 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

What kind of servers do you want to host? Gaming servers for 100+ players? A website for ~1 access a day? A storage server? A VPN server?

There is no sense in running a q6600 or an i5 2XXX or something similar 24/7 when all you want is a website or a vpn for a few people...

And if you tell me what kind of servers you want to host, I can add them to this guide :) 

well i'm currently learning html5 ,css, and javascript. and i want to host a server(s) so people check my progress on a video game i'm working on, use it to submit assignments for a html5 class (in the form of web sight pages). and to host a sever where people can check a calendar i made for updates on a calendar. so i want to make like 3 web sights that are used for simple purposes with a max of like 20-30 people on any of them at a time.

(also it would be nice if i could upload files onto my server so people could download it from where ever however i don't know this would ramp up the cost of the server box thoe so its not necessary. it would work like a persional drop box cinda.)

5 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

well i'm currently learning html5 ,css, and javascript. and i want to host a server(s) so people check my progress on a video game i'm working on, use it to submit assignments for a html5 class (in the form of web sight pages). and to host a sever where people can check a calendar i made for updates on a calendar. so i want to make like 3 web sights that are used for simple purposes with a max of like 20-30 people on any of them at a time.

Ok, now fckn way you need a q6600... For that kind of thing pretty much any reasonable modern CPU will do... Just get the cheapest system you can get that has like USB 2.0 and SATA ports :D 

Are you interested in running them on Apache? If yes I'd quickly add a chapter to the guide I linked :) 

5 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Ok, now fckn way you need a q6600... For that kind of thing pretty much any reasonable modern CPU will do... Just get the cheapest system you can get that has like USB 2.0 and SATA ports :D 

Are you interested in running them on Apache? If yes I'd quickly add a chapter to the guide I linked :) 

Im very new to web hosting so i dont even know what apache is lol, all i know is i want to make a sight like this one http://heritagewarriors.shivtr.com/ in html5 not shivtr. (i made that sight for a friend for his church and i liked how it turned out so i want to make my own for the purposes i listed above but with html5) thanks for the help btw!

3 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

Im very new to web hosting so i dont even know what apache is lol, all i know is i want to make a sight like this one http://heritagewarriors.shivtr.com/ in html5 not shivtr. (i made that sight for a friend for his church and i liked how it turned out so i want to make my own for the purposes i listed above but with html5) thanks for the help btw!

Ok, I'll add Apache to the guide :D

Something like this  https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Quad-Core-Graphics-Barebones-ZBOX-CI323NANO-U/dp/B0179S50UU?th=1

or even cheaper just get something like a Pi with a USB hdd

And i'd just install my favorite flavour of linux with an lighttpd (or apache) / php7-fpm / mariadb / phpmysql stack (im guessing you're going to be using some dynamic language like php in conjunction with html5?)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

5 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Something like this  https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Quad-Core-Graphics-Barebones-ZBOX-CI323NANO-U/dp/B0179S50UU?th=1

or even cheaper just get something like a Pi with a USB hdd

And i'd just install my favorite flavour of linux with an lighttpd (or apache) / php7-fpm / mariadb / phpmysql stack (im guessing you're going to be using some dynamic language like php in conjunction with html5?)

wouldn't it need ram for it to work?

4 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

hosting something yourself and using php is dangerous... there are so many ways of attacking via php... Not that there are many other options out there, but something as simple as search bar or a login field could potentially give someone your root password if you don't protect yourself against script injections... And that is hard, even the big ones don't get it right all the time

1 minute ago, ChalkChalkson said:

That is pretty expensive for hosting a website for 2 dozen people

That is a way better idea

so what is the cheapest way to do what i want? (i want it to have a semi large storage so i can upload game files to it and also download them)

12 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

wouldn't it need ram for it to work?

All of these type of SFF boxes don't include ram or hdd.

11 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

hosting something yourself and using php is dangerous... there are so many ways of attacking via php... Not that there are many other options out there, but something as simple as search bar or a login field could potentially give someone your root password if you don't protect yourself against script injections... And that is hard, even the big ones don't get it right all the time

The same could be said for many server side scripting languages - but to learn webdev you should be learning some sort of server side dynamic code (php, asp/.net, java, etc...) which is a requirement for any sort of advanced website design. You cant rely on html, css and markup languages (html5/jquery/ajax/etc...)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

For a light  html website even with some php and a simple mysql database, any computer would do. You could go with something old like a Core2Duo and it would be enough.

Also look in web hosting forums, they often sell older hardware for very cheap

Here's some example : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1646072

Supermicro X8DTL-IF | 2x Intel Xeon E5620 2.4GHz 4C/8T | 24GB DDR3 | 2x 500GB HDD | 3ware 9690SA-4I 4 SAS/SATA | IPMI: Winbond WPCM450 BMC 2.0 KVM|LAN – $145.00 – 14 servers

shipping probably extra, discounts for local pickup (NJ, USA)

Supermicro X7DWU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad Core 5430 | 16Gb | w/o HDD | Supermicro SIMSO+ 2.0 - $30.00
Supermicro X7DBR-E | 2x Intel Xeon L5410 2.33GHz | 32Gb | w/o HDD | Supermicro SIMSO+ 2.0 - $30.00
Supermicro X7DBR-e | 2x Intel Xeon E5450 3.00 GHz | 16Gb | w/o HDD | Supermicro SIMSOP 2.0 - $30.00

local pickup only (but maybe mail the guy and offer to pay 50$ for shipping or something like that and it may be a good deal)

These servers are cheap because they're somewhat noisy (they often have loud fans because you don't care about noise in a rack) and the processors are low performance for the amount of energy they use. But at less than 200$ (or steal at $30+shipping+ a hdd+maybe a pci/pci-e video card) they're very good value.

Here's another ad (older, from February but considering quantity they may still be available)

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1629085

dual core processor server hardware for sale. These are located in Denver (80202) & Chicago (60607). Local pick up can be arranged or provide your own label or we can provide with a shipping quote. Minimum buying quantity has been set to 2. Payment via verified PayPal or ACH bank transfer.

SuperMicro 502L-200B 1U Chassis
Supermicro X7SPE-HF-D525 Board
Intel Atom D525 Dual Core Processor with HT
4 GIG RAM
1 * Seagate Barracuda 500 HDD

- $60 ea (15+ available)

If you offer a bit more they may be willing to only sell you once (for example offer 100$ including shipping for 1 server, could be enough)

These atoms would be lower performance but fairly silent and may be friendlier to your ears.

1 hour ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

so what is the cheapest way to do what i want? (i want it to have a semi large storage so i can upload game files to it and also download them)

technically yes, but I'd strongly advise you towards a proper system, get a cheap used PC with at least 4 Sata ports