All I did was change the HDMI cable...

Rix_77

Hi all,

I am looking for a solution or an answer as to why my monitor doesn't go into standby now I have changed the HDMI cable? It is the only change I have made.

I purchased a http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162381921348?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=461411165906&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT from eBay as they were a good price and

I needed a longer cable for the new room my PC is in.

It goes from my Gigabyte GTX960 WF OC 4GB card to my Samsung S22B350H Monitor.

However since swapping the cables, my monitor no longer goes into sleep mode when you power down the PC.

I have tried messing with the Windows Power plans, and updating drivers as suggested by Googling but no luck so far.

I know its only a little gripe as I can just turn off the monitor but how can a simple cable change can reduce the functionality I previously had?

Cheers in advance,

Rix

It will be a setting in your monitor, not your PC.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

20 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

It will be a setting in your monitor, not your PC.

I have been through all of the settings including resetting the entire the monitor & adjusted the PC / AV setting to no avail :(

7 minutes ago, Rix_77 said:

I have been through all of the settings including resetting the entire the monitor & adjusted the PC / AV setting to no avail :(

Does it still work with the other cable?

After a bit of digging, I've found a couple of things worth trying;

First, check your power options. I know you've already had a look, but just make sure the screen off time is correct and there are no wake timers. It might also be worth resetting the settings of the active plan as well, just to check.

Second, do you have anything beyond a keyboard and mouse plugged in? Sometimes a device can be keeping the PC awake.

If it keeps happening even with the PC off, is there a message saying no input? If there is, it's probably a setting in the monitor you might have overlooked regarding standby or power saving modes.

35 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Does it still work with the other cable?

Yes it does, though not with the new cable. I bought the new cable because I needed a longer one. When you turn the PC off, the monitor appears to go into standby mode, and then puts up a msg saying to check the input. I have checked all available settings on the monitor but there is nothing in there about power and it is on PC mode. The settings are all as they were with the old HDMI cable, which still turns the monitor off when the PC is shut down. I have read something about the monitor not receiving a msg from the PC to turn off which prompted me to check the drivers and the like but no solution there either.

Edited by Rix_77

1 hour ago, Rix_77 said:

Yes it does, though not with the new cable. I bought the new cable because I needed a longer one. When you turn the PC off, the monitor appears to go into standby mode, and then puts up a msg saying to check the input. I have checked all available settings on the monitor but there is nothing in there about power and it is on PC mode. The settings are all as they were with the old HDMI cable, which still turns the monitor off when the PC is shut down. I have read something about the monitor not receiving a msg from the PC to turn off which prompted me to check the drivers and the like but no solution there either.

I did read something about some cables not working well with new GPUs. I don't know much about it though, so it might be worth talking to wherever you bought it from.

This seems like an issue with the HDMI cable keep trying for reconnect with the monitor, maybe the HDMI isn't powering off and is staying active? Have you tried turning auto-detect off in your monitor settings?