ATH-M50X DAC/AMP Solution

Cyanide
Go to solution Solved by Dackzy,

if you must buy one get a fulla 2.

The onboard sound on my Z97 PC Mate is abysmal. It only has enough power to run a pair of ATH-M50X barely and I desire a cleaner/louder sound, any suggestions? 

Just now, Himommies said:

Budget?

$100 and under

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

lol the price paid for cheaping out on the mobo. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

lol the price paid for cheaping out on the mobo. 

I just needed it to work man but I guess you're right xD

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

You post this response like once a day :) 

20 minutes ago, JohnT said:

You post this response like once a day :) 

well what can I say, most people look for something in this price range and the fulla 2 is good when you have low impedance headphones. If it is high impedance then I would probably tell them to get the monoprice desktop amp

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 hours ago, Dackzy said:

well what can I say, most people look for something in this price range and the fulla 2 is good when you have low impedance headphones. If it is high impedance then I would probably tell them to get the monoprice desktop amp

Yup I hear you. I'm thinking about picking one up myself for my 770's. I came across a few threads talking about how the Micca OriGen (which I use) has a lower grade DAC in it. I probably won't even notice a difference... but I gots dat upgrade bug.

Just now, JohnT said:

Yup I hear you. I'm thinking about picking one up myself for my 770's. I came across a few threads talking about how the Micca OriGen (which I use) has a lower grade DAC in it. I probably won't even notice a difference... but I gots dat upgrade bug.

TBH wait with DAC amp upgrade until you can get the very good stuff, but yeah the 770's are nice. They might be the only beyer headphones I can recommend.... 

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

TBH wait with DAC amp upgrade until you can get the very good stuff, but yeah the 770's are nice. They might be the only beyer headphones I can recommend.... 

I use an Emotiva XDA-2 at home. It is beyond impressive, but it's huge. The newer/smaller model is a wee bit too expensive even for me (plus it doesn't have 1/4 inch jacks)

The Schiity stack was on my short list also for my work setup. What amp/dac combo (or separates) do you recommend for a comfortable sized desk?

3 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I use an Emotiva XDA-2 at home. It is beyond impressive, but it's huge. The newer/smaller model is a wee bit too expensive even for me (plus it doesn't have 1/4 inch jacks)

The Schiity stack was on my short list also for my work setup. What amp/dac combo (or separates) do you recommend for a comfortable sized desk?

depends on what budget you have. For 305$ you can get an Audio-gd NFB 11, but that takes a while to arrive since they only make it when people order it and it is a small business. For 200$ a Schiit stack 2 is quite nice. There are more options I can think of but those really start at 500$ and goes to 1200$ :D

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

depends on what budget you have. For 305$ you can get an Audio-gd NFB 11, but that takes a while to arrive since they only make it when people order it and it is a small business. For 200$ a Schiit stack 2 is quite nice. There are more options I can think of but those really start at 500$ and goes to 1200$ :D

If it was for my theater, then I would have no issues spending this kind of money. I'm not quite as intrigued by headphones... 

17 minutes ago, JohnT said:

If it was for my theater, then I would have no issues spending this kind of money. I'm not quite as intrigued by headphones... 

yeah.. I am upgrading my headphone setup first and then my speaker setup since I use headphones the most, so I think this is the smarter move for me. But yeah I understand you.