What is your favourite LINUX desktop environment?

What is your favourite desktop environment?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite desktop environment?

• GNOME 3
    • KDE
    • XFCE
    • Cinnamon
    • MATE
    • Unity
    • LXQt
    • Other (Please specify below)

What is your favourite desktop environment?

I only use console when managing linux, as I only use linux for server or headless IOT.

the only x environment i used frequently is lxde from raspbian.

budgie from solus, its the os I'm using just now and it's very nice. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I didn't like KDE until 2016 when I tried KDE neon because Kubuntu seemed buggy the last 2-3 times I tried it, but now I'm a fan. I'm using OpenSUSE Tumbleweed right now. KDE is stable, fast, pretty and highly customizable.

The first DE I used was Cinnamon, and I loved it- but now find myself mostly using i3wm.

I love Unity. I hate Gnome with a passion because the UX is simply TERRIBLE. How needs 3 top panels when you can fit all the information neatly onto 1 global one. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

I do want to say that I waffle on this one. Half the time, I'm using i3, the other half I'm using KDE. It depends on what I'm doing and what environment I'm in. i3 generally is quicker for really serious work, for me.

I swap back and forth between i3wm and MATE most of the time. MATE is light enough that I can do quite a fair share of things without lag on this old laptop. But if I want to do some coding or scripting of any kind I use i3wm since my IDE fits in better with my overall theme. Plus, hotkeys are so much quicker.

1 hour ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

the 2 people who voted unity why

I actually liked Unity, but moved away from it due to the lack of configuration options. I use a Unity-like layout for KDE.

Gnome 3 is my favorite by far. It takes a bit of getting used to, but i can't deny that it's become a really efficient layout for me once I adapted to all the changes.

Sway (i3 for Wayland) is a close second.

And then Liri (formerly Hawaii) is my third.

I use i3 on Arch.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I enjoy using i3 and have fun setting it up but I just don't have as much time to tinker as I used to and now I am always just on gnome3 because it just does everything I need to keep my head above water with 0 fussing about. Media keys, multi-monitor, decent screen dimmer/saver, rudimentary window arrangements. I generally am working in tmux/screen anyway so its not a huge deal to have an f11ed browser in one workspace and a terminal in another.

I have never found an adequate lock screen in all of my travels through the DE's though, either flashes of the desktop on wake or simply insecure (I think one unlocked by switching to a different tty and back... wtf)

I like unity, its a very sexy environment. It's main drawback though is that it hides too much.  I'm currently trying Cinnamon which is ok but I'm not in love, I'll probably change it at some point and try something else.

On the rare occasion I do use a gui for linux, im a big fan of XFCE and MATE.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

When I first started I was big on Mate, then I switched to Peppermint, then Mint with their Cinnamon desktop, but when I went to Arch I tried Gnome and really enjoy it. KDE was cool but I am not big in to fully customizing the desktop, Gnome gave me just enough to be happy with what I have. I like the account integration, the tweak tools (like the newer twitch tool that shows when a streamer is streaming), it just seems to fit what I need. I do a lot with social media, web development, and programming and it just seems to do what I need it to do. 

I3wm. Very low resource usage and highly customizable. 

i3wm (actually i3-gaps) with polybar. currently on Ubuntu (server version), but maybe switch to Arch when I switch to virtual setup

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

• 2 years later...

I use gnome3 but my favourite plugin comes from KDE. Its the GS Connect plugin that connects my phone to my desktop so I can send/recieve text/calls and get notifications.