(you're my only hope)After installing gtx 1070 the computer won't post (black screen)

DeWun

specs:750 watt powersupply

motherboard: z87-g45 gaming

cpu: i5-4670k

old graphics card: r9 280x

-CPU fans are running 

-Seems like its starting though there is nothing but a black screen.

-Tried 3 different GFX cards and the iGPU (280x, 9600gt, 1070)

-Tried CMOS resetting

-Tried a HDMI cable

-Tried two different DVI cables

-Tried two monitors

Honestly do not know what to try anymore. Please help.

gpu is dead probs, contact your place of purchase or OEM

idk

Can you post with the old GPU?

What's the exact PSU model?

Did you short out something in the process?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, Droidbot said:

gpu is dead probs, contact your place of purchase or OEM

tried 3 different gpu's (in multiple pcie slots) and the igpu and none of them work. Wouldn't that imply that its probably not the gpu? 

Just now, DeWun said:

tried 3 different gpu's (in multiple pcie slots) and the igpu and none of them work. Wouldn't that imply that its probably not the gpu? 

ah, you didn't make that clear in your original post

what's your exact PSU model - either the mobo or the PSU has fucked up somewhere

idk

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Can you post with the old GPU?

What's the exact PSU model?

Did you short out something in the process?

-I can't post with the old gpu. 

-Corsair RM750 is the psu.

-I don't know, I could have but i don't think so since the rest of the motherboard seems to work (cpu fans and the sata ports (since the drives are starting))

10 minutes ago, DeWun said:

-CPU fans are running 

-Tried CMOS resetting

-Tried a HDMI cable

-Tried two monitors

try igpu

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

ah, you didn't make that clear in your original post

what's your exact PSU model - either the mobo or the PSU has fucked up somewhere

The PSU is the RM750 by corsair

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

try igpu

Already tried that

13 minutes ago, DeWun said:

-CPU fans are running 

-Tried CMOS resetting

-Tried a HDMI cable

-Tried two monitors

Did you clear the CMOS using the jumper, or by removing the battery? If you did so using the jumper, please try again using the battery.

Also try removing SATA cables from the motherboard and using the iGPU at the same time to ensure that the motherboard itself is the problem. If it POSTs without the drive, it's just a software issue which can sometimes happen when installing a new GPU from a different brand. In this case use a Windows recovery USB to boot in safe mode, and delete the AMD drivers.

If none of this works, it's possible that you damaged your motherboard in some way when installing the GPU, but this is unlikely. Do you remember if you did anything that might have damaged it when installing the GPU?

10 minutes ago, DeWun said:

bad cable or bad monitor?

3 minutes ago, wzrd said:

Did you clear the CMOS using the jumper, or by removing the battery? If you did so using the jumper, please try again using the battery.

Also try removing SATA cables from the motherboard and using the iGPU at the same time to ensure that the motherboard itself is the problem. If it POSTs without the drive, it's just a software issue which can sometimes happen when installing a new GPU from a different brand. In this case use a Windows recovery USB to boot in safe mode, and delete the AMD drivers.

If none of this works, it's possible that you damaged your motherboard in some way when installing the GPU, but this is unlikely. Do you remember if you did anything that might have damaged it when installing the GPU?

-I also tried removing the battery

-Just tried removing the SATA cables but that didn't work either

-I dont remember doing anything very harshly. I thought "maybe I damaged the pcie lanes" but I'm pretty sure the igpu would still work in that case.

7 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

bad cable or bad monitor?

Tried multiple cables and monitors

Just now, DeWun said:

-I also tried removing the battery

-Just tried removing the SATA cables but that didn't work either

-I dont remember doing anything very harshly. I thought "maybe I damaged the pcie lanes" but I'm pretty sure the igpu would still work in that case.

That's extremely odd. While it does sound like the motherboard has failed, it would be quite a coincidence if the motherboard were to fail at exactly the same time as you installed a new GPU. Do you have access to another Z87 compatible CPU you can use to test the motherboard?

You are correct in assuming the iGPU should still work, so I wouldn't assume damaged PCIe lanes are the culprit.

All signs point to the motherboard being the issue, but as I said it would be one hell of a coincidence. Just to double check, all relevant PSU cables are plugged in, yes? 8/4 pin EPS, 24 pin ATX, etc?

1 minute ago, wzrd said:

That's extremely odd. While it does sound like the motherboard has failed, it would be quite a coincidence if the motherboard were to fail at exactly the same time as you installed a new GPU. Do you have access to another Z87 compatible CPU you can use to test the motherboard?

You are correct in assuming the iGPU should still work, so I wouldn't assume damaged PCIe lanes are the culprit.

All signs point to the motherboard being the issue, but as I said it would be one hell of a coincidence. Just to double check, all relevant PSU cables are plugged in, yes? 8/4 pin EPS, 24 pin ATX, etc?

I dont have another z87 compatible cpu.

I didn't remove any motherboard cables when installing the new gpu so I assume everything is still connected correctly. 

1 minute ago, DeWun said:

I didn't remove any motherboard cables when installing the new gpu so I assume everything is still connected correctly. 

Honestly, it sounds like the motherboard is the problem. It's one hell of a coincidence, but the only thing that makes sense is this situation. Whether you damaged it installing the GPU, or whether it just coincidentally failed is anyone's guess.

Did you take anti-static precautions, etc, when installing the GPU?

If there is a decent tech repair shop near you, it could be worth asking them if they have a Z87 CPU you can use to test the board. But you have done a pretty good job of eliminating everything else as a source of error, so I can't see how it could be anything else.

It's highly unlikely that the RAM is the cause, but have you tried using only one DIMM, and seeing if you can get it to post at least? It's very unlikely this is the cause, but it could be a good idea to eliminate it as a source of error anyway.

2 minutes ago, wzrd said:

Honestly, it sounds like the motherboard is the problem. It's one hell of a coincidence, but the only thing that makes sense is this situation. Whether you damaged it installing the GPU, or whether it just coincidentally failed is anyone's guess.

Did you take anti-static precautions, etc, when installing the GPU?

If there is a decent tech repair shop near you, it could be worth asking them if they have a Z87 CPU you can use to test the board. But you have done a pretty good job of eliminating everything else as a source of error, so I can't see how it could be anything else.

It's highly unlikely that the RAM is the cause, but have you tried using only one DIMM, and seeing if you can get it to post at least? It's very unlikely this is the cause, but it could be a good idea to eliminate it as a source of error anyway.

""Did you take anti-static precautions, etc, when installing the gpu" : no but would that destroy the whole system if i just touched the gfx card?

- I feel like my cpu failing when installing a new videocard would be very unlikely and there are very few if any tech shops near.

-I can still try (ram sticks thing) that but I doubt it will work (I'll try it)

Just now, DeWun said:

""Did you take anti-static precautions, etc, when installing the gpu" : no but would that destroy the whole system if i just touched the gfx card?

- I feel like my cpu failing when installing a new videocard would be very unlikely and there are very few if any tech shops near.

-I can still try (ram sticks thing) that but I doubt it will work (I'll try it)

It's highly highly unlikely, but a remote possibility. It's possible you damaged the motherboard, but this wouldn't extend to any other components in all likelihood. Did you unplug the power from the back of the PC?

I said your motherboard is likely the problem, not the CPU. But you would need a second CPU to test the motherboard, is what I'm saying.

As I said, I doubt it as well, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, DeWun said:

Please try disconnecting ALL PSU cables and removing the RAM, the GPU, and all drives (SSD or HDD)

Then, carefully insert a single RAM module, making sure it's 100% correctly inserted.

Then, connect the motherboard PSU connectors, and connect the monitor directly to the iGPU output. See if that posts. Note: Leave the GPU and all drives disconnected from both PSU and data.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)