Urgent, need help! Mobo, cpu issue?

Go to solution Solved by XR6,
2 minutes ago, MarcusLauk said:

Yes, it seems like my original psu shorts out and instantly shuts when the 24 pin is connected, i can start every other circuit without it shutting off. I can audibly hear the fuse shut on and off. I think the 24 pin cable is the culprit since it shorts the psu without being connected to a motherboard. 

I agree. Try replacing the 24 pin cable and see if it actually is the issue though (it has to be, but you never know). 

Your PSU isn't the problem as you've verified it's working fine and from what you've said it seems to work without a fault.

Hello, i have issues with my pc. The screen just went black and it tried to reboot. I am greeted to constant bootloops and the motherboard error a2. I have reseated all my cables and i have tested my ssd on another computer and it still works. I am even using a different psu to see if it was the issue, but still no fix. I have also tried moving my ram sticks around to no result. 

My specs are:

Intel core i7 3770k

Z77 msi mpower mobo

16gb dominator platinum 

Gtx 970 strix

The A2 code means it's having trouble detecting or reading drives. Do you have multiple drives connected?

Have you just built it? It usually happens when you've got multiple internal drives connected to the PC and you haven't got an OS installed so the motherboard freaks out.

Have you tried other SATA cables? Your current hard drive data cables might be shot too. (It is possible)

Hope this helped :P

Just now, 1kv said:

The A2 code means it's having trouble detecting or reading drives. Do you have multiple drives connected?

Have you just built it? It usually happens when you've got multiple internal drives connected to the PC and you haven't got an OS installed so the motherboard freaks out.

Have you tried other SATA cables? Your current hard drive data cables might be shot too. (It is possible)

Hope this helped :P

I have one ssd, and one hdd. Right now i am trying to boot from the ssd work W10 installed, i will try another cable. 

Just now, MarcusLauk said:

I have one ssd, and one hdd. Right now i am trying to boot from the ssd work W10 installed, i will try another cable. 

Alright. Seems as if it's not too many drives so you should be fine on the drive subject.. 

If it fixes your problem, let me know.

I would unplug the HDD, so your only option for booting is the SSD. That way you can make sure that your mobo is not trying to boot to the HDD. What is your drive boot order?

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Alright. Seems as if it's not too many drives so you should be fine on the drive subject.. 

If it fixes your problem, let me know.

Just tried different cable and different port. Still stuck. 

1 minute ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

I would unplug the HDD, so your only option for booting is the SSD. That way you can make sure that your mobo is not trying to boot to the HDD. What is your drive boot order?

I am only using the ssd now, I'm not sure about the boot order rn. 

1 minute ago, MarcusLauk said:

Just tried different cable and different port. Still stuck. 

That's really strange. Sometimes things as simple as things plugged into your USB port can disturb the BIOS during startup, especially label printers and scanners.

Is anything plugged into your USB ports? I assume not, but it doesn't hurt to try :/

I am only using the ssd now, I'm not sure about the boot order rn. 

Alright, I would just make sure that the SSD is #1 in the boot order when you plug back in the HDD.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

That's really strange. Sometimes things as simple as things plugged into your USB port can disturb the BIOS during startup, especially label printers and scanners.

The only usb device plugged in is my keyboard at the moment, i will try booting with it unplugged. 

The only usb device plugged in is my keyboard at the moment, i will try booting with it unplugged. 

Is your bios up to date?

Okay. I don't think a keyboard would disrupt the BIOS but computers are unpredictable :|

Also is your PC recently built or was it built over a year ago?

Just now, 1kv said:

Also is your PC recently built or was it built over a year ago?

3-4 years old and i just got met with d7 error. It sometimes keeps randomly shutting on and off before getting to the boot error. 

I know this issue, the A2 then D7 error. Most of the cases I've seen are involving the 3770k.

Try clearing the CMOS.

Just now, 1kv said:

I know this issue, the A2 then D7 error. Most of the cases I've seen are involving the 3770k.

Try clearing the CMOS.

How do i clear the cmos? Never done that before

3 minutes ago, MarcusLauk said:

How do i clear the cmos? Never done that before

There should be a button on the back of the motherboard, and press it.

There's also this handy page too with the same mobo, CPU and the same problem as you too: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=168051.0

You can read along with that if you want

15 minutes ago, 1kv said:

There should be a button on the back of the motherboard, and press it.

There's also this handy page too with the same mobo, CPU and the same problem as you too: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=168051.0

You can read along with that if you want

I read that this guy has some similar issues, I'm afraid my other psu have killed the sata bus, i have a ax860i from corsair. It got a self test button or Jumpstart. It shuts of only when the 24 pin is connected to the psu. It doesn't have to be connected to a pc at all. 

I read that this guy has some similar issues, I'm afraid my other psu have killed the sata bus, i have a ax860i from corsair. It got a self test button or Jumpstart. It shuts of only when the 24 pin is connected to the psu. It doesn't have to be connected to a pc at all. 

Oh, that explains the A2 error then [as I mentioned previously, the a2 code means it cannot read or detect one or more drive(s)]

4 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Oh, that explains the A2 error then [as I mentioned previously, the a2 code means it cannot read or detect one or more drive(s)]

Yes, it seems like my original psu shorts out and instantly shuts when the 24 pin is connected, i can start every other circuit without it shutting off. I can audibly hear the fuse shut on and off. I think the 24 pin cable is the culprit since it shorts the psu without being connected to a motherboard. 

2 minutes ago, MarcusLauk said:

I agree. Try replacing the 24 pin cable and see if it actually is the issue though (it has to be, but you never know). 

Your PSU isn't the problem as you've verified it's working fine and from what you've said it seems to work without a fault.

Just now, 1kv said:

I don't have a spare 24pin for my psu sadly, so it will be hard. My psu has a 10 year warranty, god knows what that covers. Im really not sure what to do at this point. 

Try to find a cheap one on the Internet if you can. I'm pretty stuck too, so yeah :|

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Try to find a cheap one on the Internet if you can. I'm pretty stuck too, so yeah :|

Something we can least appreciate is my janky testbench i had to set up under my desk hahaha. 

1495225540045-71267945.jpg