Debating New Ryzen Build for Work from Home Virtualization/Tab hoarding and Occasionally Gaming

I just got a new job and will be moving to a very cheap place to live and figured I might reward myself with a fresh setup.

I am a work-from-home support/systems engineer and I like to have a system I can horribly abuse with VMs and a million tabs.

My desk currently has two machines connected with Synergy:

Linux Desktop:

Quirky SuperMicro ATX server board 

E5-2670 v1

128GB DDR3

LSI 9260 8i w/ 

2x SSDs in Raid 0

3x 3TB in Raid 1

(Cachecade is too expensive)

GTX 970

Gaming Rig:

2600k @ 4.2

32GB DDR3

2x850 EVO 500 in Raid 0

GTX 1070 (Currently gaming at medium settings 4k or 1440p High)

I was thinking of getting a Ryzen system as it would let me do the virtulization the best. It looks like I might even be able to put the 970 in the system and use AMD-Vi if the board will support it. My problem is I can't justify it if I get no real performance upgrade from this system from either of the other two. I don't mind spending some time to overclock on the new system but when I jump from the Xeon or the i7 to the Ryzen system, will I even notice the difference?

I was thinking of buying:

Gigabyte x370 k7 board

1700X(plan to be lazy on overclocking again)

64GB DDR4

Corsair H80i (GT or Extreme whatever they are calling it now)

2x850 EVO 500 (This will let me RAID 10 the 4 drives together with little CPU performance penalty, avoid scary RAID, and give me the boosted read performance from 4 drives.)

This keeps me around the $1500 budget, I might strip out the evos to save some coin waiting for an NVME drive.

I am just not sure it is worth it and I want you guys to talk me into or out of it.

PS. I have two of those Xeon processors and another 128GB of 16GB DIMMs. I had also thought about shelling out for an Asus workstation board (2011 v1) and a new case, but I have been cruising around Youtube and the web and I see reports that anything that is remotely single-threaded will suffer from the Xeon's low clock speed making it a poor match for the 1070.

My advice, swap the GPUs, sell the sandy bridge with the 970 in it and dual boot the server monster machine with Linux & Windows so you can do work and game on it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I mean, Virtualization loves cores and threads. Ryzen certainly has that, and not bad at gaming as well.

7 minutes ago, macintoshme said:

I just got a new job and will be moving to a very cheap place to live and figured I might reward myself with a fresh setup.

I am a work-from-home support/systems engineer and I like to have a system I can horribly abuse with VMs and a million tabs.

My desk currently has two machines connected with Synergy:

Linux Desktop:

Quirky SuperMicro ATX server board 

E5-2670 v1

128GB DDR3

LSI 9260 8i w/ 

2x SSDs in Raid 0

3x 3TB in Raid 1

(Cachecade is too expensive)

GTX 970

Gaming Rig:

2600k @ 4.2

32GB DDR3

2x850 EVO 500 in Raid 0

GTX 1070 (Currently gaming at medium settings 4k or 1440p High)

I was thinking of getting a Ryzen system as it would let me do the virtulization the best. It looks like I might even be able to put the 970 in the system and use AMD-Vi if the board will support it. My problem is I can't justify it if I get no real performance upgrade from this system from either of the other two. I don't mind spending some time to overclock on the new system but when I jump from the Xeon or the i7 to the Ryzen system, will I even notice the difference?

I was thinking of buying:

Gigabyte x370 k7 board

1700X(plan to be lazy on overclocking again)

64GB DDR3

Corsair H80i (GT or Extreme whatever they are calling it now)

2x850 EVO 500 (This will let me RAID 10 the 4 drives together with little CPU performance penalty, avoid scary RAID, and give me the boosted read performance from 4 drives.)

This keeps me around the $1500 budget, I might strip out the evos to save some coin waiting for an NVME drive.

I am just not sure it is worth it and I want you guys to talk me into or out of it.

PS. I have two of those Xeon processors and another 128GB of 16GB DIMMs. I had also thought about shelling out for an Asus workstation board (2011 v1) and a new case, but I have been cruising around Youtube and the web and I see reports that anything that is remotely single-threaded will suffer from the Xeon's low clock speed making it a poor match for the 1070.

My advice, your Ryzen motherboard is too Expensive. Why not getting a Crosshair or X370 Pro Carbon

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

My advice, swap the GPUs, sell the sandy bridge with the 970 in it and dual boot the server monster machine with Linux & Windows so you can do work and game on it.

You don't think the low clock on the Xeon will decimate single threaded games?

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

My advice, your Ryzen motherboard is too Expensive. Why not getting a Crosshair or X370 Pro Carbon

I am kind of a Gigabyte Ho. I found it for ~200 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-AORUS-FUSION-Type-C-Motherboard/dp/B06XF3R469/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495056703&sr=8-2&keywords=k7+gigabyte

Cheaper than the Hero.

I like the all black with option of RBG

My opinion, re-use what you can if it's decent enough and buy a 1700 and be better with OC'ing and use the included wraith cooler until  you even know if you need better cooling even... and get a b350 board unless you really need the extra OC features that you can't get on some b350 boards.

I re-used my case/ddr4/PSU/GPU as all good quality except the GPU but I don't game much on this anyway. Total build cost just £370 for the board and CPU. Then update stuff later if it even needs it,

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, macintoshme said:

You don't think the low clock on the Xeon will decimate single threaded games?

Not really, I mean sure the ARMA 3s & GTA Vs might suffer a little but for the large majority of games that Xeon will be more than fine.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, paddy-stone said:

My opinion, re-use what you can if it's decent enough and buy a 1700 and be better with OC'ing and use the included wraith cooler until  you even know if you need better cooling even... and get a b350 board unless you really need the extra OC features that you can't get on some b350 boards.

I re-used my case/ddr4/PSU/GPU as all good quality except the GPU but I don't game much on this anyway. Total build cost just £370 for the board and CPU. Then update stuff later if it even needs it,

I think I want the lanes and the sata from x370. The cooler isn't an issue. I wouldn't mind a better cooler on my current. I chose to use a horribly old case which I love, but it has me putting the CPU rad in the front blowing out (case has no 120mm built in). It kind of looks Mad Max in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, macintoshme said:

64GB DDR3

No ddr3 on ryzen

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

5 minutes ago, macintoshme said:

I think I want the lanes and the sata from x370. The cooler isn't an issue. I wouldn't mind a better cooler on my current. I chose to use a horribly old case which I love, but it has me putting the CPU rad in the front blowing out (case has no 120mm built in). It kind of looks Mad Max in my opinion.

No probs, just trying to save you some money if things aren't needed.  I will be buying an x370 when/if an itx board I like comes out, need better OC options than I have on this b350 at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

No ddr3 on ryzen

Yes, I assumed this was a typo.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini