Gui for C++

Sebastian Kurpiel

What's up guys,

I'm trying to convert an older terminal view project into something that is more visual appealing. My questions are; can you easily convert a project to a qt project and is qt the best IDE for this sort of project?

The github link: https://github.com/Kingyou123/Pokemon-Guessing-Game-Comp-271-2016, probably not the most effective way to make the game but it was for a data structure class.  Thanks for any info in advance! 

14 minutes ago, Sebastian Kurpiel said:

can you easily convert a project to a qt project

Depends. Qt prefers its own modules for a number of standard features.

14 minutes ago, Sebastian Kurpiel said:

and is qt the best IDE for this sort of project?

You're mixing two things here: The Qt Creator is an IDE for developing applications with the Qt framework which is a GUI library and probably what you mean when you say "IDE" (Integrated Development Environment, e.g. Visual Studio).

I, personally, do not like Qt as its licensing is too restrictive for me; for example, linking statically is not recommended. If I had to write a GUI application in C++ these days, I'd probably use C++/Tk or (for a more native look) Nana, but that's on you.

See also:

https://github.com/fffaraz/awesome-cpp#gui

Write in C.

From what I am reading, your question is trying to ask 'What is the best IDE to use to have an GUI in my application'?

Visual Studio

It depends on how tied the business logic is to the presentation logic. If the two are coupled tightly, it can be a little tricky.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be that hard to convert the application into a GUI based one using Qt. The business logic is done, now you're just working on the presentation stuff. As far as IDE goes, it's probably more of a matter of taste if anything.

8 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Depends. Qt prefers its own modules for a number of standard features.

You're mixing two things here: The Qt Creator is an IDE for developing applications with the Qt framework which is a GUI library and probably what you mean when you say "IDE" (Integrated Development Environment, e.g. Visual Studio).

I, personally, do not like Qt as its licensing is too restrictive for me; for example, linking statically is not recommended. If I had to write a GUI application in C++ these days, I'd probably use C++/Tk or (for a more native look) Nana, but that's on you.

See also:

https://github.com/fffaraz/awesome-cpp#gui

GNU LGPL 3 is too restrictive? His code is already on GitHub, so he wouldn't really have to do anything besides include the license with his code.

Open Source is not nearly the same thing as the LGPL or GitHub.

Write in C.

46 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

GNU LGPL 3 is too restrictive? His code is already on GitHub, so he wouldn't really have to do anything besides include the license with his code.

GPL only applies if you've touched the source code of GPL licensed code. If your software just makes calls to the GPL software, you are not required to license your software as GPL.

@Dat Guy is on point in this thread.

let me repeat what he said.

- IDE =/= GUI library

- Qt has a less permissive copyleft license rather than a do what you want open source license.

- tk is a badass gui library

- awesome-* lists on github almost always contain some great stuff (although sometime you have to sort through some crud to get to it)

I started using JUCE, would that be a mistake?

By IDE, I'm familiar with using android studio which has the design element so that's what I meant by ide.