How do I remove dried thermal paste.

Go to solution Solved by Syfter,

Washing machine 

So my old pc (another one not the dell that I just made a post in troubleshoot section about ( pls help) ) this one is a LGA775 PC that I personally killed with viruses as a kid. And now that Im taking them all apart out of curiosity I found that the CPU's thermal paste has dried. How do I remove it?

1 minute ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

So my old pc (another one not the dell that I just made a post in troubleshoot section about ( pls help) ) this one is a LGA775 PC that I personally killed with viruses as a kid. And now that Im taking them all apart out of curiosity I found that the CPU's thermal paste has dried. How do I remove it?

Alcohol wipes works for me.

4 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Normally works really well just might take some time and effort

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

5 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

70% or more concentration is recommended

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, unholyprfection said:

Normally works really well just might take some time and effort

I found it quite fast.

Washing machine 

Snowblind: i7 7700K | Corsair H100i V2 | EVGA 1070 SC | Aorus Gaming K7 |16GB Corsair Vengence 3200Mhz | MX300 275GB M.2 | WD Blue 1TB | NZXT S340 Elite (White)

3 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I found it quite fast.

It can be. All depends how long the compound has been there and what type it was.

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

1 minute ago, unholyprfection said:

It can be. All depends how long the compound has been there and what type it was.

Fite me m8

5 minutes ago, MrOutlawTV said:

Washing machine 

It's interesting to learn other ways of doing stuff. How much washing powder/ capsules should I use?

Arctic silver thermal compound remover is the bees knees. But it is expensive.

Just now, Factory OC said:

Fite me m8

It's interesting to learn other ways of doing stuff. How much washing powder/ capsules should I use?

Lets go. My 1080 is warmed up and ready to max out the csgo frames cus u no i got dem fliks m8 :P

7 minutes ago, MrOutlawTV said:

Washing machine 

I prefigure just putting the whole motherboard with the CPU in the dish washer  and running it on the pots and pans setting. 

I mean who has time to take a coffee filter or paper towel with a bit of  Isopropyl alcohol to clean thermal past  

Lets go. My 1080 is warmed up and ready to max out the csgo frames cus u no i got dem fliks m8 :P

Ohh m8 gt redy 2 gt fkd bruu

Noscoping 640 degreeees biatch...

Wanna tutch my Quadru crd?

Ohh m8 gt redy 2 gt fkd bruu

Noscoping 640 degreeees biatch...

Wanna tutch my Quadru crd?

Quadru crd? My Quantum Computer got that beat. and 640 degrees, I was doing 1280's before I was even conceived m8
gt rkt scrandy

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

I prefigure just putting the whole motherboard with the CPU in the dish washer  and running it on the pots and pans setting. 

I mean who has time to take a coffee filter or paper towel with a bit of  Isopropyl alcohol to clean thermal past  

Just break out the dremel, and cut the tops off of everything. No need to clean those metal shavings after either, those will increase the speed of your computer.

Quadru crd? My Quantum Computer got that beat. and 640 degrees, I was doing 1280's before I was even conceived m8
gt rkt scrandy

Quantum? Bru, ya runing CS:GO at low? Try duing 2560 degreas no scope eies closud.

gt srekt nuub

Quantum? Bru, ya runing CS:GO at low? Try duing 2560 degreas no scope eies closud.

gt srekt nuub

bra I know your moves before you make them #Illuminati #lordGaben

bra I know your moves before you make them #Illuminati #lordGaben

I'm not even gonna fite anymore, need to take a crap...

I usually use a high-pressure water hose. Cleans everything right off and gets rid of the dust too!

I'm not even gonna fite anymore, need to take a crap...

Want to play battle $hits?

5 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

I usually use a high-pressure water hose. Cleans everything right off and gets rid of the dust too!

I think I'll just take the washing machine route.

I use isopropyl alcohol on some paper towel.  You can use alcohol wipes (they're basically isopropyl alcohol at 70%+ purity, distilled water and perfume) or lcd screen cleaning solutions (they're also mainly isopropyl alcohol plus some antistatic/dust repellant substance in very low amount and water and perfume)

Sanitary alcohol also works, but make sure it evaporates completely before you put the heatsink back or apply paste.  Relatively high alcohol vodka also works.

Acetone also works, as will other solvents (lighter fluid, gasoline etc)

43 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

A video is up on float plane looking at all the different things you can use. I think it will be up on youtube in a day or 2

A video is up on float plane looking at all the different things you can use. I think it will be up on youtube in a day or 2

Wait floatplane donators get early access?