Good Mini-ITX cases for a pfSense builds

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Hi LTT Forum,

I watched Linus's recent video on Mini-ITX cases and it got me thinking, which Mini-ITX case would be best for a pfSense router?

Obviously the priorities of this build would be slightly different, for example a more subtle case would be nice as well as no need to have the PCI-E slot separated from the rest of the case as there is no GPU etc.

Any case recommendations would be great!

Thanks,

Amageing

Amageing

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The hardware is pretty irrelevant, just a standard Mini-ITX motherboard and a PCI-E network card. And I was thinking more a stand alone case rather than rack mounted. Something which which can sit in a living room etc.

Thanks,

Amageing

2 minutes ago, Amageing said:

The hardware is pretty irrelevant, just a standard Mini-ITX motherboard and a PCI-E network card. And I was thinking more a stand alone case rather than rack mounted. Something which which can sit in a living room etc.

Thanks,

What specs?

Do you need a network card?

how about this? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QqtCmG/antec-case-isk110vesa

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What specs?

Do you need a network card?

how about this? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QqtCmG/antec-case-isk110vesa

Yeah I've got an idea of what I'm going to build within it. Preferably room for a large hard drive so I can double it up as a NAS. But yeah I'm just going to get an Intel gigabit network card along with 2-4GB of RAM and a 1.5-2GHz processor.

Just need to find a decent case really as I haven't built a small form factor PC before.

Amageing

Just now, Amageing said:

Yeah I've got an idea of what I'm going to build within it. Preferably room for a large hard drive so I can double it up as a NAS. But yeah I'm just going to get an Intel gigabit network card along with 2-4GB of RAM and a 1.5-2GHz processor.

Just need to find a decent case really as I haven't built a small form factor PC before.

don't make your router your nas, make that a seprate box, or install something like esxi or proxmox and use vms

Why not get a premade mini pc, much lower power.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

don't make your router your nas, make that a seprate box, or install something like esxi or proxmox and use vms

Why not get a premade mini pc, much lower power.

I was trying to kill two birds with one stone but if it makes more sense to split the devices that that Intel box you linked eairler looks good :)

Amageing

1 minute ago, Amageing said:

I was trying to kill two birds with one stone but if it makes more sense to split the devices that that Intel box you linked eairler looks good :)

budget?

how about something like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352041

Then put a basic b250 board in there with the pentium g4560 and 8gb of ram, install proxmox on a usb drives, use a hdd storage, and run your router in a vm.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

budget?

how about something like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352041

Then put a basic b250 board in there with the pentium g4560 and 8gb of ram, install proxmox on a usb drives, use a hdd storage, and run your router in a vm.

Looking between £200-£300. And yeah not a bad idea! Although preferably a smaller case.

Amageing