M.2 NVMe - M.2 slot & PCIe

Net3
Go to solution Solved by JoostinOnline,
3 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

NVMe 
"Good" : Faster (by a lot in small file transfers)

Not so. It's about the same as SATA drives (sometimes slower) when it comes to small file transfers. That's why people who "upgrade" from a SATA SSD to an NVMe one usually don't notice any improvements in performance.

With sequential speeds, NVMe kills it. 

1 minute ago, agent_x007 said:

Just read what I wrote earlier...
There was a link to test of NVMe drive in AHCI and NVMe mode in my post.
So, belive what you want.

Well I do believe that NVMe is faster, but idk in one video on YT I saw/heared on one channel (was it NCIX, Linus or ASUS I don't know, can't remember right now) that what he wrote for games. :v

1 hour ago, agent_x007 said:

Sequential speed on AHCI is bigger than you think :P
Comparison of NVMe drive in both AHCI and NVMe mode : LINK.

To me 15% reduction is a lot (considering you pay for NVMe).
But you are correct in not seeing much difference between them in OS drive application.

PS. Latest drivers can be downloaded from manufacturers websites. Not much different than AHCI drivers really.

Keep in mind - not all NVMe drives are equal, just as not all SSD's are equal.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

12 hours ago, Net3 said:

So WD Black NVMe M.2 SSD, would be good investment?

For content creation (saving/loading files to/from it specifically), absolutely.  For anything else, no.

12 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

Sequential speed on AHCI is bigger than you think :P
Comparison of NVMe drive in both AHCI and NVMe mode : LINK.

To me 15% reduction is a lot (considering you pay for NVMe).
But you are correct in not seeing much difference between them in OS drive application.

PS. Latest drivers can be downloaded from manufacturers websites. Not much different than AHCI drivers really.

When you said AHCI I was thinking via SATA.  That's usually what people mean.  Comparing modes isn't really necessary.  Obviously you'd enable NVMe if you have a drive capable of it.

When you look at an Intel 600p NVMe drive vs a Samsung 850 Evo SATA drive, you'll see significantly lower 4K read speeds, despite the Samsung one being cheaper.

I should mention that while 4K read speeds are a good measurement for how your OS will run, there are diminishing returns, especially when you get past 35MB/s.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

For content creation (saving/loading files to/from it specifically), absolutely.  For anything else, no.

When you said AHCI I was thinking via SATA.  That's usually what people mean.  Comparing modes isn't really necessary.  Obviously you'd enable NVMe if you have a drive capable of it.

When you look at an Intel 600p NVMe drive vs a Samsung 850 Evo SATA drive, you'll see significantly lower 4K read speeds, despite the Samsung one being cheaper.

I should mention that while 4K read speeds are a good measurement for how your OS will run, there are diminishing returns, especially when you get past 35MB/s.

So u are saying that I should use NVMe for OS and large files, while SATA SSD for games ? ^-^