Computer freezes when I try to shut it down?

slayerming2

When I press the shut down button it get's to this point.

http://imgur.com/a/qKnVU

And then freezes completely.

I had to manually hold the power button to turn it off a few times. This is a brand new computer so I'm a bit worried.. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

edit: I talked to a windows person, and they had me reinstall windows and it fixed it. But just now I shut it off and it froze again. 

I had to switch to day theme to read your post... can you give us more details about your pc?

derp

4 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

I had to switch to day theme to read your post... can you give us more details about your pc?

I got this gaming desktop on Thursday. Have mostly downloaded typical ninite programs and a few games, with a ton of mods for skyrim, fallout new vegas, and witcher 3. 

Specs below:

Intel Kaby Lake 7600k unlocked cpu

Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra Gaming RGB Motherboard

16 gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 ram, led lighted

NZXT X52 240mm Liquid CPU cooler, RGB lighting

M.2 SSD 128 gig

Western Digital Black 2 TB hard drive

650 watt 80+ rated modular power supply

Asus GTX 1080 Strix OC video card with RGB lighting

Corsair Crystal 570x RGB case, all upgraded fans, runs cool and quiet

Windows 10 pro installed and activated

2 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

I got this gaming desktop on Thursday. Have mostly downloaded typical ninite programs and a few games, with a ton of mods for skyrim, fallout new vegas, and witcher 3. 

Specs below:

Intel Kaby Lake 7600k unlocked cpu

Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra Gaming RGB Motherboard

16 gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 ram, led lighted

NZXT X52 240mm Liquid CPU cooler, RGB lighting

M.2 SSD 128 gig

Western Digital Black 2 TB hard drive

650 watt 80+ rated modular power supply

Asus GTX 1080 Strix OC video card with RGB lighting

Corsair Crystal 570x RGB case, all upgraded fans, runs cool and quiet

Windows 10 pro installed and activated

I assume when you say it freezes you are waiting over 5 minutes to make sure its not just stuck on something really slow right?

derp

4 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

I assume when you say it freezes you are waiting over 5 minutes to make sure its not just stuck on something really slow right?

Yeah, waited over an hour and sadly just stuck frozen. 

Honestly I say re-install Windows. Cause it looks like a problem with Windows, not the components.

Just now, Darth Revan said:

Honestly I say re-install Windows. Cause it looks like a problem with Windows, not the components.

Like a fresh install? Wouldn't that wipe all my files? Or does it? Not sure how to even do that. Do you have a link?

1 minute ago, slayerming2 said:

Like a fresh install? Wouldn't that wipe all my files? Or does it? Not sure how to even do that. Do you have a link?

Yes, a fresh install. It will wipe whatever data you had on your SSD, I presume that's where you installed Windows.

So this was a pre-build system or someone else installed Windows for you? Cause I don't quite get the last part.

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

Yes, a fresh install. It will wipe whatever data you had on your SSD, I presume that's where you installed Windows.

So this was a pre-build system or someone else installed Windows for you? Cause I don't quite get the last part.

I bought the computer from craglist. He reinstalled windows while I was there. 

Just now, slayerming2 said:

I bought the computer from craglist. He reinstalled windows while I was there. 

Ok, I see. Honestly I could walk step by step but it's more difficult in writing.

So easiest thing you can do is go on YouTube and just search for "How to install Windows 10" watch a couple of videos to get the idea of how to do it, once again I presume you never installed Windows ever. After understanding what you have to do, go for it.

Here's one:

Just one question I have. This is the only issue you have with the system? Everything else works no problem?

2 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

Ok, I see. Honestly I could walk step by step but it's more difficult in writing.

So easiest thing you can do is go on YouTube and just search for "How to install Windows 10" watch a couple of videos to get the idea of how to do it, once again I presume you never installed Windows ever. After understanding what you have to do, go for it.

Here's one:

Just one question I have. This is the only issue you have with the system? Everything else works no problem?

Oh lovely, thanks! Yeah that's the only problem. PC runs beautifully otherwise. Heck being talking to people on reddit, and apparently some others have had the same problem. But apparently they just manually hold down the power button to shut the computer down each time.

But isn't that bad for the pc!?

1 minute ago, slayerming2 said:

Oh lovely, thanks! Yeah that's the only problem. PC runs beautifully otherwise. Heck being talking to people on reddit, and apparently some others have had the same problem. But apparently they just manually hold down the power button to shut the computer down each time.

But isn't that bad for the pc!?

Let's start with the end. Holding down the power button is just forcing the system to shutdown, it doesn't do any damage, so don't worry.

Honestly just thought about this after telling you to re-install windows, but since you said that's the only problem. My guess is that some process that runs in the background refuses to close which cause windows to freeze.

So think about what you installed these days that might run in the background, and uninstall them or disabling them.

Example, maybe you installed itunes and that runs in the background. That was an example because I don't know what you installed. Check your task manager to see what's running so you can get a better understand. CTRL+Shift+ESC for that.

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

Let's start with the end. Holding down the power button is just forcing the system to shutdown, it doesn't do any damage, so don't worry.

Honestly just thought about this after telling you to re-install windows, but since you said that's the only problem. My guess is that some process that runs in the background refuses to close which cause windows to freeze.

So think about what you installed these days that might run in the background, and uninstall them or disabling them.

Example, maybe you installed itunes and that runs in the background. That was an example because I don't know what you installed. Check your task manager to see what's running so you can get a better understand. CTRL+Shift+ESC for that.

Okay, maybe I'm relying on ancient knowledge, but I remember like a decade ago... that people told me to never hold down the power button, even though I did it all the time, I thought it was always bad... Yeah idk.

Okay, the thing is one of the thing the microsoft people did was for me to restart the computer after I disabled all the apps running. I disabled all the programs and then tried to restart... The computer froze at the restart point..

IDK, if I can't fix it, do you still think it's worth reinstalling windows and losing all my files or just dealing with this for now and manually shutting down my computer from now on?

3 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

Okay, maybe I'm relying on ancient knowledge, but I remember like a decade ago... that people told me to never hold down the power button, even though I did it all the time, I thought it was always bad... Yeah idk.

Okay, the thing is one of the thing the microsoft people did was for me to restart the computer after I disabled all the apps running. I disabled all the programs and then tried to restart... The computer froze at the restart point..

IDK, if I can't fix it, do you still think it's worth reinstalling windows and losing all my files or just dealing with this for now and manually shutting down my computer from now on?

You can always make a copy of whatever files you have on your SSD. Your pictures, bookmarks, videos, whatever you have and after you re-install windows put them back. Since you have a SSD and HDD, save whatever you want from the SSD to the hard drive.

When you re-install Windows, you install it to the SSD not the HDD, thus whatever data is the HDD stays there.

Sorry if I seem to talk to you like you don't know these things, but I don't quite know your level of PC knowledge.

As for shutting down the system the old fashion way, honestly I'm a bit of an OCD and that will eventually drive me insane if I can't turn it off from Windows. :)

But that's just me, so you're free to do what you think works for you.

58 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

You can always make a copy of whatever files you have on your SSD. Your pictures, bookmarks, videos, whatever you have and after you re-install windows put them back. Since you have a SSD and HDD, save whatever you want from the SSD to the hard drive.

When you re-install Windows, you install it to the SSD not the HDD, thus whatever data is the HDD stays there.

Sorry if I seem to talk to you like you don't know these things, but I don't quite know your level of PC knowledge.

As for shutting down the system the old fashion way, honestly I'm a bit of an OCD and that will eventually drive me insane if I can't turn it off from Windows. :)

But that's just me, so you're free to do what you think works for you.

Okay thank you so much for all the information!