Yoga 720 - 2 PCIE lanes thunderbolt 3, what does it mean?

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
4 minutes ago, Gall Cohen said:

What is the impact of having only 2 PCIE lanes?

What does it change except having poor performance(Or being incapable at all) with external GPUs?

Thanks guys!

It's limited to 4 lanes of DisplayPort 1.2 (so 4K 60 Hz max) and 20 Gbit/s total throughput instead of 40 Gbit/s. Probably not advisable for external GPUs either.

What does it change except having poor performance(Or being incapable at all) with external GPUs?

Thanks guys!

4 minutes ago, Gall Cohen said:

Thanks guys!

It's limited to 4 lanes of DisplayPort 1.2 (so 4K 60 Hz max) and 20 Gbit/s total throughput instead of 40 Gbit/s. Probably not advisable for external GPUs either.

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Forgot to mention that the sole purpose of it's existence is to confuse and annoy consumers, as if they weren't confused enough already.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

17 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Oh OK, thanks! can't see myself plugging it into 2 4K screens\eGPU's anytime soon so It's a none-issue for me.

BTW, how is it different from thunderbolt 2 if it is capable of only 20 GB\S? is the USB-C connector that cause for it?

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what you using the port for?

in most cases no difference

Didn't think much about that uses, I am looking to buy it and wanted to know what it changes :)

18 minutes ago, Gall Cohen said:

Oh OK, thanks! can't see myself plugging it into 2 4K screens\eGPU's anytime soon so It's a none-issue for me.

BTW, how is it different from thunderbolt 2 if it is capable of only 20 GB\S? is the USB-C connector that cause for it?

It can act as a USB 3.1 port, which Thunderbolt 2 cannot do. Also it may be able to receive power and charge the laptop through there, if the laptop supports it.