Hello guys. This is my first ever post on the LMG forums and it is on a totally unexpected incident.

I am from Malaysia and I recently bought a MSI GE62 laptop. It has been about a month since I bought it.

A few hours ago, I was working on my projects when I realised the laptop was low on power so I decided to plug it in. Once I plugged it in, I noticed that my laptop wasn't charging. Instead, there was a red cross on the battery icon when I checked it on the task bar.

I tried unplugging the adapter and plugging it in again and once I plugged it in, the laptop reached 5 percent battery life and just simply died. 

I tried charging the laptop but no lights will turn on. There are no signs of life at all. I am pretty bummed and frustrated by this incident as the MSI reps told me it could take as long as 3 weeks to get it fixed. 

I suspect the battery died and somehow the mobo got fried. I am not sure. You guys have any idea?

[removed]

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Is the electricity in Malaysia stable? Could have been undervoltage or overvoltage. Killed the battery and then kiled the motherboard. I'm not sure about Malasyian laws but I'm pretty sure you can get it replaced through the original seller

Probably battery died. Try remove the battery (you need to disassemble it), plugged in the power adapter and see whether it can be turned on or not

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 3:36 PM, erzz said:

Is the electricity in Malaysia stable? Could have been undervoltage or overvoltage. Killed the battery and then kiled the motherboard. I'm not sure about Malasyian laws but I'm pretty sure you can get it replaced through the original seller

Yes.. the electricity has been super unstable lately.

And I can confirm that the battery died first and I assume the mobo died next as the laptop had no sign of life whatsoever.

I sent it into the service center. Would take a few weeks. This is ridiculous..

It has barely been a month since I got it.

18 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Probably battery died. Try remove the battery (you need to disassemble it), plugged in the power adapter and see whether it can be turned on or not

It still has a warranty though and disassembly voids the warranty so I decided to send it in. 

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Sierra Fox said:

might be the power adapter has died instead. if it wasn't charging this is the likely culprit 

Well I doubt. First, the battery started to show a X Mark which means it needs replacing if I am not mistaken then subsequently the whole laptop died.

2 hours ago, _mdssakthi_ said:

It still has a warranty though and disassembly voids the warranty so I decided to send it in. 

That's why I hate buying MSI laptops. Once opened inside the warranty voided. And QC issues too.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

21 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

That's why I hate buying MSI laptops. Once opened inside the warranty voided. And QC issues too.

But their products were good tho.

I loved it. 

The only thing was the battery life which sucked quite a bit. 4hrs isn't that long.

6 minutes ago, _mdssakthi_ said:

I loved it. 

The only thing was the battery life which sucked quite a bit. 4hrs isn't that long.

Only their high end products are quite well-built. MSI laptops are often overpriced here.
Gaming laptops usually have suck battery life so no need to worry about that

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, _mdssakthi_ said:

Yes.. the electricity has been super unstable lately.

And I can confirm that the battery died first and I assume the mobo died next as the laptop had no sign of life whatsoever.

I sent it into the service center. Would take a few weeks. This is ridiculous..

It has barely been a month since I got it.

Get a surge protector and something to monitor input and output voltage.

It seems the adapter got fried. 

Sending it for warranty anyways. I don't think using 3rd party adapters is a good idea at all.

On 05/15/2017 at 5:27 AM, _mdssakthi_ said:

I loved it. 

Undervolt and force iGPU when not gaming. Also,  use Windows power settings, not the null in app. I have a GS73. Extended battery quite a but by limiting software and power consumption.