Custom MATX Case (Project Deadshot)

I have been working on designing my own custom computer case for a while now because i couldn't find anything online that would fit my needs. The idea here is to be able to fit high end parts in the smallest volume possible, while not sacrificing cable management or cooling. The case materials would be a combination of a frame made of steel square tubing (various sizes), 3D printed joints, and a combination of laser-cut aluminum panels and tempered glass. If the project goes as planned, I might start making a few to sell.

The project started out of the desire to have a PC that I could use as a media center and gaming rig for my living room. MY friends and I took some old DDR2 parts and a Intel Core 2 Duo and shoved them in an old gutted amp. We liked the form factor so much I figured i'd take a swing at making a legit version.

This version of the case is designed to fit an MATX motherboard, full size GPU, ATX PSU, and is built for air cooling at this point.

I find myself running out of ideas on what else I need to add or how I can improve the design so any advice would be much appreciated.

I will be posting a populated version later.

* These are 3D .pdf renders and will need to be opened in Adobe Reader DC.

MATX Render.pdf

MATX photo.PNG

Looks really good! That's something I would be interested in buying if it was an actual case on the market! Good job!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

woah, i didn't know you could do that in pdf. Looks great though!

Looks awesome, Only thing i would change drop all three of the small fans, Presuming they 90/80mm ones. They are horrible loud and barely move any air. You would be better off just doing vents above the IO pannel and that the "Top" 120/140mm fan push over the CPU and out the back, it'll be enough airflow easily, Also I'd flip the PSU over as they suck in air from the fan and push it out the back, flipping it would let it draw hot air away from the GPU and shove it out the back, combo that with the large fan infront of the GPU and you'll have great airflow :) 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Personally I think it looks just like a normal case on it's side nothing special apart from being a bit short. And I second the fan suggestion. 

Just now, KazerTheKeen said:

Personally I think it looks just like a normal case on it's side nothing special apart from being a bit short. And I second the fan suggestion. 

kind agree there, a smaller case would be a Itx mb and a PCIe raiser card get it a bit long, but super flat. Do the hdd+SSD underside. do all wood except a tinted glass top looking down onto the now flat GPU and motherboard. 

than RGB the crap out of it :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

22 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

woah, i didn't know you could do that in pdf. Looks great though!

im mad at you. i was super excited for your description. :'( 

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

13 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

im mad at you. i was super excited for your description. :'( 

I'm planning on putting something funny/witty in there but I haven't thought of anything yet

Thanks for the advice guys.

Some updated pictures of the suggested edits. Anybody got an idea of a simple way to attach the side panels to the frame? My current plan was to see how well using pop rivets would work. I don't think screws would work because the metal isn't thick enough to get a thread in. The top and bottom panels will be attached by a 3D-printed slot system. Another problem is how to make the graphics card or otherwise mount to the rear panel, any ideas?

I am also still working on designing a front IO panel with two USB 3.0 type A ports and power switch, as well as a wiring shield for the power supply.

* I used some models found on GrabCAD for the hard drives, PSU, and fans, for the sake of time and accuracy.

Micro LTT Edit Shot 2.PNG

Micro LTT Edit Shot 1.PNG

Micro LTT Edit Shot 3.PNG

Micro LTT edited.pdf

Spoiler
5 hours ago, lil_blooty said:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Some updated pictures of the suggested edits. Anybody got an idea of a simple way to attach the side panels to the frame? My current plan was to see how well using pop rivets would work. I don't think screws would work because the metal isn't thick enough to get a thread in. The top and bottom panels will be attached by a 3D-printed slot system. Another problem is how to make the graphics card or otherwise mount to the rear panel, any ideas?

I am also still working on designing a front IO panel with two USB 3.0 type A ports and power switch, as well as a wiring shield for the power supply.

* I used some models found on GrabCAD for the hard drives, PSU, and fans, for the sake of time and accuracy.

Micro LTT Edit Shot 2.PNG

Micro LTT Edit Shot 1.PNG

Micro LTT Edit Shot 3.PNG

Micro LTT edited.pdf

What program are you using for the design?

1 hour ago, EminentSun said:
  Reveal hidden contents

What program are you using for the design?

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2017 (Student Edition)