Fans pushing some air around radiator

I recently put together a custom water cooling loop (2 GPUs, CPU, 240mm and 360mm radiators). Because of the way my case is designed (Cooler Master - MasterCase Maker 5), I cannot attach the three 120mm front fans directly to the 360mm radiator. Instead, there is a metal mounting bracket in between the fans and the radiator, creating an air gap of about 5mm between the fans and the radiator. I noticed that there is much more air exhausting the 240mm rad at the top (where the fans are pressed against the radiator) than the 360mm rad at the front, and I suspect this is because of air being pushed around the radiator. Is there a product I can use to create a seal between the fans and the radiator (without resorting to something like duct tape)? Thanks in advance.

@aL_eX There is no product I'm aware of made specifically for this purpose, but I never had this issue with the Mastercase. You may be able to change the way you have the fans mounted slightly to eliminate this problem. I assume you're talking about the cooling bracket in the top of the case?

Not sure if it would work but there has been made rubber gaskets for this issue, I don't know if they would work in your situation though.

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

5 minutes ago, wzrd said:

@aL_eX There is no product I'm aware of made specifically for this purpose, but I never had this issue with the Mastercase. You may be able to change the way you have the fans mounted slightly to eliminate this problem. I assume you're talking about the cooling bracket in the top of the case?

Hopefully the pictures should give some reference as to what I mean. I'm not sure if I've simply muted everything badly, but I tried redoing it and got the same result

Photo 10-05-2017-2.jpeg

Photo 10-05-2017.jpeg

10 minutes ago, aL_eX said:

Hopefully the pictures should give some reference as to what I mean. I'm not sure if I've simply muted everything badly, but I tried redoing it and got the same result

Photo 10-05-2017-2.jpeg

Photo 10-05-2017.jpeg

Have you considered simply mounting your fans on the opposite side of the radiator, so that they are inside the case? That would be a surefire way to get around the problem.

I'm afraid I modded the Mastercase and never had this issue because I never ended up using the bracket. The problem you're having is probably down to slightly different mounting designs across different fans, rads and cases. I would try flipping the bracket around so it is between the fan and the case and the fans are directly mounted to the rad, or removing the bracket altogether.

If placing the fans on the other side of the radiator isn't feasible, you could use some form of tape to plug the gap (assuming a rubber gasket can't be found).

I can't quantify how much performance you'd be losing like this but if you can minimize the gap or close it in any way, you should expect some improvements.

---

Have you considered simply mounting your fans on the opposite side of the radiator, so that they are inside the case? That would be a surefire way to get around the problem.

I'm afraid I modded the Mastercase and never had this issue because I never ended up using the bracket. The problem you're having is probably down to slightly different mounting designs across different fans, rads and cases. I would try flipping the bracket around so it is between the fan and the case and the fans are directly mounted to the rad, or removing the bracket altogether.

If placing the fans on the other side of the radiator isn't feasible, you could use some form of tape to plug the gap (assuming a rubber gasket can't be found).

I can't quantify how much performance you'd be losing like this but if you can minimize the gap or close it in any way, you should expect some improvements.

I could put the fans inside the case, but they would be right up against the reservoir and I'm not sure if that will be a problem. I'll try doing a temporary seal with some sort of putty and see if it makes a difference, and look for a more long term solution of it does. Thanks for your suggestions.

I could put the fans inside the case, but they would be right up against the reservoir and I'm not sure if that will be a problem. I'll try doing a temporary seal with some sort of putty and see if it makes a difference, and look for a more long term solution of it does. Thanks for your suggestions.

It won't be. It wouldn't look as clean, but the reservoir won't block a significant amount of air flow. It might affect how the air travels through the case, but it won't affect air flow through the rad, it just might not look as clean.

No worries!

@aL_eX Had a closer look, sorry. You're installing them wrong - the bracket doesn't go between the fan and radiator, you mount them both to one side the same as any other case. The way you're doing it saves space but will compromise air flow the way you're describing.

Apart from makeshift methods you describe, the only way to fix it is mounting it in the way the bracket was designed for.

7 hours ago, aL_eX said:

It makes very little difference as long as the front panel is able to allow for free airflow, you can get gaskets such as these:

http://www.xs-pc.com/radiator-accessories/360mm-radiator-gasket

Best option performance-wise would be to just tape it airtight, but that could impact the aesthetics negatively. Even if you put a gasket like suggested, I think the gap would exist there just about the same, unless it was really thick and soft. You would need to make cuts to the rubber at the mounting spots where the radiator is against the metal, and glue thick enough pieces to the gap spots or something.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Black duct tape

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

19 hours ago, wzrd said:

@aL_eX Had a closer look, sorry. You're installing them wrong - the bracket doesn't go between the fan and radiator, you mount them both to one side the same as any other case. The way you're doing it saves space but will compromise air flow the way you're describing.

Apart from makeshift methods you describe, the only way to fix it is mounting it in the way the bracket was designed for.

11 hours ago, asand1 said:

I've just ordered three more fans for a push-pull configuration. I know that it normally wouldn't make much difference, but in this situation it should guide more of the air through the radiator instead of having it being lost through the gaps

41 minutes ago, aL_eX said:

I've just ordered three more fans for a push-pull configuration. I know that it normally wouldn't make much difference, but in this situation it should guide more of the air through the radiator instead of having it being lost through the gaps

It has its benefits for thicker rads with higher FPI, and in this situation definitely won't do you any harm if you don't mind spending money on it, but the gaskets @W-L mentioned might also be a good option - I honestly didn't even realise they existed.

20 hours ago, wzrd said:

It has its benefits for thicker rads with higher FPI, and in this situation definitely won't do you any harm if you don't mind spending money on it, but the gaskets @W-L mentioned might also be a good option - I honestly didn't even realise they existed.

Just installed the new fans. Temperatures once the loop has reached equilibrium are about 5ºC lower now, so it definitely made a difference.