Ubuntu Gnome crashing on display management

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

Install the proprietary nvidia drivers. Unfortunately, amd and nvidia gpu drivers for linux are garbage, so it may not fix the problem.

Hi. I'm currently running Ubuntu Gnome on my laptop with no problems during neither installation or daily use, however I tried to install it on my desktop yesterday. What happened is that it recognizes my second monitor as my main, and then thinks my primary monitor is on the opposite side of what it actually is. So naturally I tried to configure this in the display settings, but when I apply the settings which fix this situation, either my primary or secondary monitor stops recognizing the computer. It says no signal and then refuses to display anything. The monitor which doesn't stop working just displays the desktop wallpaper and the cursor. However, I can't open any programs or activities panel. Starting a terminal doesn't work either.

My specs are:

Intel 4770k

GTX 780 

Asus VI formula

2x8GB RAM

43 minutes ago, inGameToasted said:

Hi. I'm currently running Ubuntu Gnome on my laptop with no problems during neither installation or daily use, however I tried to install it on my desktop yesterday. What happened is that it recognizes my second monitor as my main, and then thinks my primary monitor is on the opposite side of what it actually is. So naturally I tried to configure this in the display settings, but when I apply the settings which fix this situation, either my primary or secondary monitor stops recognizing the computer. It says no signal and then refuses to display anything. The monitor which doesn't stop working just displays the desktop wallpaper and the cursor. However, I can't open any programs or activities panel. Starting a terminal doesn't work either.

My specs are:

Intel 4770k

GTX 780 

Asus VI formula

2x8GB RAM

Try reinstalling it again or there might be a driver you need to install/reinstall for the GTX

Install the proprietary nvidia drivers. Unfortunately, amd and nvidia gpu drivers for linux are garbage, so it may not fix the problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thanks. It was using a non-proprietary driver instead of the latest Nvidia driver which was what made it crash. Just had to install the latest one and select it from the drivers panel. :)