How to locally test Html and CSS?

Go to solution Solved by Hazy125,

Save your file as whatever.html then open the file in your web browser. Just double click it and it'll probably open automatically 

After I finished my course at CodeCademy (they pissed me off afterward; telling me the one that I just did is replaced with a new one), I wondered what I should do now. I don't have a server for a website, so how do I locally test Html and CSS code. Notepad++ has a "run" function, but I can't run 2 different files. Can someone please help me?

Save your file as whatever.html then open the file in your web browser. Just double click it and it'll probably open automatically 

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

1 minute ago, Hazy125 said:

So do I just link the CSS file to run with the .html file?

Just now, Factory OC said:

Yep. As long as the path to your css file is correct in your html, it will load your css file as well

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Dont be pissed off when they replaced the assignment with an other one. Only better to make that one too.

Repeating sometimes helps to learn

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

Just now, Hazy125 said:

Yep. As long as the path to your css file is correct in your html, it will load your css file as well

Thank you so much for the fast reply. Hope you enjoy your day or night further.

1 minute ago, Cruorzy said:

Dont be pissed off when they replaced the assignment with an other one. Only better to make that one too.

Repeating sometimes helps to learn

I have to say, the new version looks better implemented. I may take certain pieces of the course (just not <p></p>, please no <p></p>). Thanks for the motivation. 

2 hours ago, Factory OC said:

2 hours ago, Hazy125 said:

remember that you want relative links so if the css is in a folder called style then link to style/style.css and not c:/users/user/documents/style/style.css

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Next step for local development would be to setup a Webserver, you do not need it for now but maybe for later when you implement some server side language for example.

Wamp - Is a bundle of software that is easy to setup and understand, once setup you can go to http://localhost and see your website locally served by a webserver called Apache.

3 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

remember that you want relative links so if the css is in a folder called style then link to style/style.css and not c:/users/user/documents/style/style.css

Are you a mind reader? I was just going to ask that question. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

Next step for local development would be to setup a Webserver, you do not need it for now but maybe for later when you implement some server side language for example.

Wamp - Is a bundle of software that is easy to setup and understand, once setup you can go to http://localhost and see your website locally served by a webserver called Apache.

Thank you. I wanted to ask what this localhost thing on CodeCademy is. 

27 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Are you a mind reader? I was just going to ask that question. Thank you.

It's a problem some people have when first starting out, seemed fitting to post it just in case :P

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

50 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Thank you. I wanted to ask what this localhost thing on CodeCademy is.

Well your webserver will run on your own pc and your pc has a Loopback address.

The IPv4 Loopback address is 127.0.0.1 and localhost is the alias to that address given in your host file as default (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts)

In simple words when you type Localhost your PC will find on the first level op DNS that localhost has an ip address of 127.0.0.1

Then does a request to your own Network card (since it is a loopback address) It is a HTTP request which is most of the time Port 80 and as default Apache runs on port 80.

So it forwards it to Apache, that handles the request and just send the expected data to you.