How bad is using stock cooler on i7-7700K? (I won't overclock)

MasterRaceMcqueen

For normal use like web browsing, it should work fine

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, MasterRaceMcqueen said:

Nah, it's fine if you won't overclock, but it doesn't look the best...

Just now, ZM Fong said:

and for gaming?

2 minutes ago, MasterRaceMcqueen said:

and for gaming?

I wouldn't recommend you to try that since it's still a high TDP CPU even when not OCed

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, Rekted said:

It'll hover around 70*C but the 7700k doesnt come with a stock cooler anyway

How do you know its temp if it doesn't come with one?

rip

It'll be hot, and loud, but it would work.

Unless you already have an intel stock cooler laying around though(as the K series dont include one) you'd be better buying one.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

12 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

I wouldn't recommend you to try that since it's still a high TDP CPU even when not OCed

As @JohnT pointed out there is no stock cooler at all with a 7700k, and stock coolers shouldn't be used, even for moderate use - there is a reason Intel don't include them. Please don't mislead the OP.

1 minute ago, wzrd said:

As @JohnT pointed out there is no stock cooler at all with a 7700k, and stock coolers shouldn't be used, even for moderate use - there is a reason Intel don't include them. Please don't mislead the OP.

I assume OP has a spare stock cooler, I didn't mislead him, please listen to my explanation first before making any conclusion

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

@MasterRaceMcqueen To expand on my earlier post, even a completely stock 7700K will clime into the 50s and 60s quickly just in the BIOS.

I often use a stock cooler to test the 7700Ks I order in, but this is as far as I would take it. If you try to use a 7700K with a stock cooler, it will overheat to the point that it throttles very quickly, and end up behaving like a lower end CPU, not to mention you won't be able to overclock it, defeating the point of buying a K CPU with an unlocked multiplier anyway.

As everyone who actually owns one will tell you, it really won't fly - the 7700K is a very hot chip.

14 minutes ago, MasterRaceMcqueen said:

The i7-7700 would be better if you definitely won't overclock your CPU.  The i7-7700 comes with a stock cooler whereas the i7-7700K does not come with a stock cooler. If you use a stock cooler you will almost certainly see thermal throttling unless you underclock and undervolt your CPU. Even then the TDP of the i7-7700K is pretty high so you really should throw on a cooler like the hyper 212 EVO. Cooling is not somewhere to take shortcuts.