Is my Psu dying? PC wont boot,smelling burn

Go to solution Solved by wzrd,
7 minutes ago, GrandExchange said:

Hi all!
I woken up with my pc turned off, it was turned on idle while I went to sleep as I don't turn it off over night. When I tried to turn it on, it won't boot up. I tried to unplug the power cord and tried it again to be greeted with a single click sound from the psu.

I started taking it apart and clean it as it been a while, but when I tried to boot it up it still giving me same click noise from the psu. So I decided to test each component one by one, started by removing the GPU, and volva it starting to boot! So the gpu the issue? Which what I was thinking until I start smelling faint smell of burning electric coming from the psu.
The psu also refuse to boot if I try to attach this particular white head I don't know what it call but I will include a picture below.
Also the pictures of this psu that came with the computer prebuilt. I don't know what brand is it and it seem to be shaped to use with this computer only.
But yeah mainly if I plug in gpu = no boot, just click
Same with plug in the white head, with or without gpu
And burning smell if I detach both to let it boot.

My specs are
Nvidia gtx 780
Intel i7 4770k cpu
X2 croisar 8gb ram
120gb intel ssd
1tb western digital hd
500w 80 gold plus psu idk what brand 
Nzxt kraken x40 liquid cooling for the cpu
MSI 87I motherboard 

The pc is made by ibuypower Revolt R770
To be honest I regret the purchas because of the tiny cramped built of the case and lack of space for expansion. I would try to see if this is a opportunity to replace the case and others thing to make it a regular sized pc.

But first I want to find out which is the faulty part. My psu or gpu or the motherboard? And what is to replace and buy. I don't have a lot of money due to recent cancer treatment but as long as it under $200 or so.

Please help! I'd love to also get some recommendation on part to replace such as case and psu. Thank you all very much in advance!!

I'd be going to fry's electronics later but I'm not sure what to even do, considering idk if they sell these shuttle shaped psu or I'd I need to replace the case too for a proper psu.

Picture of the white thing and odd psu: http://imgur.com/a/EMRzh

How it look normally inside

IMG_9708.JPG

Unfortunately it sounds like your PSU has failed. The reason it still boots without the GPU, is because it is still able to provide enough power when the power draw of the GPU is removed, but it would likely fail quickly soon.

It is unlikely it has damaged any other components in the process. The only thing you really need to replace is the PSU itself. That PSU is standard server form factor, so you should have no trouble getting a new one.

Get one from a reputable brand. SeaSonic make excellent power supplies of this form factor. You should also contact iBuyPower and inform them, it may be still under warranty.

Don't attempt to turn your computer on with this power supply installed, as it may just cause damage.

3 minutes ago, quan289 said:

What PSU you tested with btw? But I have been suspecting that the GPU is at fault here. The VRM of the GPU had a parasitic short, continued to draw more and more power for the PSU, and cause the OCP of the power supply to shut off and prevent it from turning on. That would explain why the FSP 500w U1 PSU will POST the PC without a GPU, which open up the possibly that the PSU is fine too (the smell could simply be a smell from the factory, that got stronger because of the fan blowing it out of the PSU)

Did you contact IBP, btw? If you are going to send it to Fry's you could also ask them to see if they can test the PSU too (although they probably going to used a $10 PSU tester that doesn't really tell you anything).

It's a LEPA N500-SA

I cannot contact ibp because it's Sunday and for some reason their forum ceased to exist....

I took the psu with me as well so I'll let you guys know what happens later!

Fry's does have some sketchy reputation but sadly no better electronic service in my area.

6 hours ago, GrandExchange said:

Okay so all point to the psu. What do you mean by the 12v rail for pci e died? The plug in port for it on the mobo or just the wire on the psu? I'm sorry I'm not very familiar with pc. Thank you all for being patient with me. 

the components driving the 12V rail are dead somewhere, internaly in the PSU. probably a cap or IC that went poof from a minor current spike on the mains

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Okay. I came back fr fry's empty handed. They won't test my gpu and psu and doesn't even carry these 1U psu.

Does anyone know a good replacement for the psu online wise?  

I can't event test if the gpu are dead or not st this point and not sure I I'll need a new one too..

1 hour ago, GrandExchange said:

Okay. I came back fr fry's empty handed. They won't test my gpu and psu and doesn't even carry these 1U psu.

Does anyone know a good replacement for the psu online wise?  

I can't event test if the gpu are dead or not st this point and not sure I I'll need a new one too..

You did test the GPU across two different PSUs. While the LEPA N500-SA isn't particularly a good PSU, it should at least boot the GPU up. I still think the GPU shorted and the protection of the PSU is preventing it from turning on and exasperate the issue. Not turning on isn't an automatic sign of PSU failure but a working protection.

Anyways, 1U power supplies can be expensive. The Seasonic SS-500L1U for example is $99.99 but lacks the native connectivity to power a GTX 770 (requires a 6 pin and 8 pin PEG connector, where the PSU only has a single 6 pin). If the IBP Revolt R770 has an standard M-ITX form factor, you could get a new M-ITX case that support a standard ATX PSU that may be better connectivity for your needs. Well, if my suspicion is right about the GPU and you end up getting the GTX1060, then the Seasonic would work as there are 1060s that require only a single 6 pin connector.

1 hour ago, quan289 said:

You did test the GPU across two different PSUs. While the LEPA N500-SA isn't particularly a good PSU, it should at least boot the GPU up. I still think the GPU shorted and the protection of the PSU is preventing it from turning on and exasperate the issue. Not turning on isn't an automatic sign of PSU failure but a working protection.

Anyways, 1U power supplies can be expensive. The Seasonic SS-500L1U for example is $99.99 but lacks the native connectivity to power a GTX 770 (requires a 6 pin and 8 pin PEG connector, where the PSU only has a single 6 pin). If the IBP Revolt R770 has an standard M-ITX form factor, you could get a new M-ITX case that support a standard ATX PSU that may be better connectivity for your needs. Well, if my suspicion is right about the GPU and you end up getting the GTX1060, then the Seasonic would work as there are 1060s that require only a single 6 pin connector.

Yeah I think the gpu is gone..

Fry was asking 70 buck for a diagnosis so I dint do it.

Yeah the price of the SeaSonic 1U psu inst very appealing so I was wondering what I should do. I tried to see if the current motherboard would fit with mid tower case but these rep told me I'll need a new mobo.

So as far as keeping the case and everything else, if just need to order that $99 SeaSonic and a 1060? Should i get a 3gb or 6gb and what manufacturers do you recommend? I'd be using neweggs

I'm not sure what to do w this now...assuming dead gpu. I guess new paper weight