Is my Psu dying? PC wont boot,smelling burn

Go to solution Solved by wzrd,
7 minutes ago, GrandExchange said:

Hi all!
I woken up with my pc turned off, it was turned on idle while I went to sleep as I don't turn it off over night. When I tried to turn it on, it won't boot up. I tried to unplug the power cord and tried it again to be greeted with a single click sound from the psu.

I started taking it apart and clean it as it been a while, but when I tried to boot it up it still giving me same click noise from the psu. So I decided to test each component one by one, started by removing the GPU, and volva it starting to boot! So the gpu the issue? Which what I was thinking until I start smelling faint smell of burning electric coming from the psu.
The psu also refuse to boot if I try to attach this particular white head I don't know what it call but I will include a picture below.
Also the pictures of this psu that came with the computer prebuilt. I don't know what brand is it and it seem to be shaped to use with this computer only.
But yeah mainly if I plug in gpu = no boot, just click
Same with plug in the white head, with or without gpu
And burning smell if I detach both to let it boot.

My specs are
Nvidia gtx 780
Intel i7 4770k cpu
X2 croisar 8gb ram
120gb intel ssd
1tb western digital hd
500w 80 gold plus psu idk what brand 
Nzxt kraken x40 liquid cooling for the cpu
MSI 87I motherboard 

The pc is made by ibuypower Revolt R770
To be honest I regret the purchas because of the tiny cramped built of the case and lack of space for expansion. I would try to see if this is a opportunity to replace the case and others thing to make it a regular sized pc.

But first I want to find out which is the faulty part. My psu or gpu or the motherboard? And what is to replace and buy. I don't have a lot of money due to recent cancer treatment but as long as it under $200 or so.

Please help! I'd love to also get some recommendation on part to replace such as case and psu. Thank you all very much in advance!!

I'd be going to fry's electronics later but I'm not sure what to even do, considering idk if they sell these shuttle shaped psu or I'd I need to replace the case too for a proper psu.

Picture of the white thing and odd psu: http://imgur.com/a/EMRzh

How it look normally inside

IMG_9708.JPG

Unfortunately it sounds like your PSU has failed. The reason it still boots without the GPU, is because it is still able to provide enough power when the power draw of the GPU is removed, but it would likely fail quickly soon.

It is unlikely it has damaged any other components in the process. The only thing you really need to replace is the PSU itself. That PSU is standard server form factor, so you should have no trouble getting a new one.

Get one from a reputable brand. SeaSonic make excellent power supplies of this form factor. You should also contact iBuyPower and inform them, it may be still under warranty.

Don't attempt to turn your computer on with this power supply installed, as it may just cause damage.

Hi all!
I woken up with my pc turned off, it was turned on idle while I went to sleep as I don't turn it off over night. When I tried to turn it on, it won't boot up. I tried to unplug the power cord and tried it again to be greeted with a single click sound from the psu.

I started taking it apart and clean it as it been a while, but when I tried to boot it up it still giving me same click noise from the psu. So I decided to test each component one by one, started by removing the GPU, and volva it starting to boot! So the gpu the issue? Which what I was thinking until I start smelling faint smell of burning electric coming from the psu.
The psu also refuse to boot if I try to attach this particular white head I don't know what it call but I will include a picture below.
Also the pictures of this psu that came with the computer prebuilt. I don't know what brand is it and it seem to be shaped to use with this computer only.

My specs are
Nvidia gtx 780
Intel i7 4770k cpu
X2 croisar 8gb ram
120gb intel ssd
1tb western digital hd
MSI 87I motherboard 

To be honest I regret the purchas because of the tiny cramped built of the case and lack of space for expansion. I would try to see if this is a opportunity to replace the case and others thing to make it a regular sized pc.

But first I want to find out which is the faulty part. My psu or gpu or the motherboard? And what is to replace and buy. I don't have a lot of money due to recent cancer treatment but as long as it under $200 or so.

Please help! I'd love to also get some recommendation on part to replace such as case and psu. Thank you all very much in advance!!

I'd be going to fry's electronics later but I'm not sure what to even do, considering idk if they sell these shuttle shaped psu or I'd I need to replace the case too for a proper psu.

IMG_9708.JPG

the "white PSU thing" is a power plug for a floppy drive (which you most certainly do not have, maybe it is used to power something else here).

If you have the chance to try it with another PSU that would make it easier. You do not have to put it inside the build, just put it next to this and plug everything inside it.

I'm pretty sure if your PSU is smelling like it's burning you shouldn't be trying to turn your PC back on man, if your components aren't already fried they probably might be at this point.

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

3 minutes ago, poker1059 said:

I'm pretty sure if your PSU is smelling like it's burning you shouldn't be trying to turn your PC back on man, if your components aren't already fried they probably might be at this point.

Oh no I turned it off instantly as soon as I hear the faint smell. I do have a regular 500w psu from a old pc but I wasn't sure if it good idea to plug it in to test the system. Everything was running when I turned off the pc due to the smell. Is there a way to tell or test if the parts was fried? 

7 minutes ago, GrandExchange said:

Hi all!

My specs are
Nvidia gtx 780
Intel i7 4770k cpu
X2 croisar 8gb ram
120gb intel ssd
1tb western digital hd
MSI 87I motherboard 

IMG_9708.JPG

Unfortunately it sounds like your PSU has failed. The reason it still boots without the GPU, is because it is still able to provide enough power when the power draw of the GPU is removed, but it would likely fail quickly soon.

It is unlikely it has damaged any other components in the process. The only thing you really need to replace is the PSU itself. That PSU is standard server form factor, so you should have no trouble getting a new one.

Get one from a reputable brand. SeaSonic make excellent power supplies of this form factor. You should also contact iBuyPower and inform them, it may be still under warranty.

Don't attempt to turn your computer on with this power supply installed, as it may just cause damage.

7 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

the "white PSU thing" is a power plug for a floppy drive (which you most certainly do not have, maybe it is used to power something else here).

If you have the chance to try it with another PSU that would make it easier. You do not have to put it inside the build, just put it next to this and plug everything inside it.

I do have a old 500w psu from a old pc but Im not sure if it the same thing as this particular long psu. Should I use it to test?

1 minute ago, GrandExchange said:

I do have a old 500w psu from a old pc but Im not sure if it the same thing as this particular long psu. Should I use it to test?

yes you can try that

PSU is done for, im guessing the 12V rail for PCI-e power died. the white thing seems to be a proprietairy powerconnector that likely does nothing more then ensure that you cant use any other PSU with the motherboard

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, wzrd said:

Thank you ! I'd be looking out for these when I go to fry's in a bit. Now I'm just extremely concerned about the whole fried part thing. I can't afford to replace all the parts. What can you do to tell if the psu has damaged anything?

1 minute ago, GrandExchange said:

Thank you ! I'd be looking out for these when I go to fry's in a bit. Now I'm just extremely concerned about the whole fried part thing. I can't afford to replace all the parts. What can you do to tell if the psu has damaged anything?

test the PC with your old PSU

Just now, GrandExchange said:

Unfortunately you can't without testing them, but it's highly unlikely that it has.

There are many overcurrent and overvoltage protections build into both PSUs and other components, so it's highly unlikely that any of the components were damaged. The PSU will usually stop outputting power and turn itself off before it actually fries anything. It has happened, but it's extremely rare, so I wouldn't worry about it.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

PSU is done for, im guessing the 12V rail for PCI-e power died. the white thing seems to be a proprietairy powerconnector that likely does nothing more then ensure that you cant use any other PSU with the motherboard

Okay so all point to the psu. What do you mean by the 12v rail for pci e died? The plug in port for it on the mobo or just the wire on the psu? I'm sorry I'm not very familiar with pc. Thank you all for being patient with me. 

2 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

test the PC with your old PSU

I'd do that right away. Thank you

2 minutes ago, GrandExchange said:

What do you mean by the 12v rail for pci e died? The plug in port for it on the mobo or just the wire on the psu? I'm sorry I'm not very familiar with pc.

Probably contacts/electronics inside the PSU, which power the wires which provice 12 volt. (yellow wires)

3 minutes ago, wzrd said:

Unfortunately you can't without testing them, but it's highly unlikely that it has.

There are many overcurrent and overvoltage protections build into both PSUs and other components, so it's highly unlikely that any of the components were damaged. The PSU will usually stop outputting power and turn itself off before it actually fries anything. It has happened, but it's extremely rare, so I wouldn't worry about it.

That is very interesting. TIL! and relieving. Thank you for your answer.

That is very interesting. TIL! and relieving. Thank you for your answer.

No worries. The form factor you are looking for is 1U by the looks of things. But measure it - if you can get a normal form factor PSU in there, then feel free to just use that. There is no real difference for a consumer PC between form factors, outside of the physical one.

In future, at least putting your PC to sleep when you're not using it will extend the lifespan of the PSU significantly - consumer grade PSUs aren't really designed for 24/7 operation.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Many power supply today has a relay in the PSU that switch on (going from +5VSB load to 5V load) when you turn on your computer. That's where that sound may be coming from.

There's one thing. Your system powers on without a GPU, and yet can't turned on with it plugged in? Usually, it shouldn't prevent it booting up as there isn't really much of a load on the GPU, unless something is wrong. If that's the case, it sounds like to me a protection is setting off because of your GPU, where if the GPU itself had failed and cause a parasitic power draw due to a short, it may have tripped one of the OCP (over current protection) like it was design to do.

So the question is, is that smell always been there and you only just noticed it because of this whole ordeal? If a power supply smells out of the box, that's probably a factory smell from workers smoking all the time (there was a review complaining about this on the Corsair CXM review lol). Either way, see if you can get it sent in for warranty (I'm pretty sure it got a 3 year warranty)

44 minutes ago, quan289 said:

Many power supply today has a relay in the PSU that switch on (going from +5VSB load to 5V load) when you turn on your computer. That's where that sound may be coming from.

There's one thing. Your system powers on without a GPU, and yet can't turned on with it plugged in? Usually, it shouldn't prevent it booting up as there isn't really much of a load on the GPU, unless something is wrong. If that's the case, it sounds like to me a protection is setting off because of your GPU, where if the GPU itself had failed and cause a parasitic power draw due to a short, it may have tripped one of the OCP (over current protection) like it was design to do.

So the question is, is that smell always been there and you only just noticed it because of this whole ordeal? If a power supply smells out of the box, that's probably a factory smell from workers smoking all the time (there was a review complaining about this on the Corsair CXM review lol). Either way, see if you can get it sent in for warranty (I'm pretty sure it got a 3 year warranty)

Okay I finished testing the pc with the old psu. The thing also refuse to boot with the gpu plugged in. So I think the gpu is dead as well? 

It boot up smooth as soon as I disconnect the gpu....so in conclusion it seem is that my psu is burning an gpu is dead ..

I guess I should be looking for a 1060 with the new psu ?

Oh, the smell is very new, I never smell anything from this pc. I actually purchased it in 2013 so I'm sure it no longer have any warranty.

58 minutes ago, wzrd said:

No worries. The form factor you are looking for is 1U by the looks of things. But measure it - if you can get a normal form factor PSU in there, then feel free to just use that. There is no real difference for a consumer PC between form factors, outside of the physical one.

In future, at least putting your PC to sleep when you're not using it will extend the lifespan of the PSU significantly - consumer grade PSUs aren't really designed for 24/7 operation.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

I'd be doing that from now on, unfortunately I think the lesson come at the cost of my gpu as well as it fail to boot with the old psu I have....

I'm glad to know these psu is easy to find though.

thank you so much for everything.

I wonder if the psu took out the gpu or vice versa...psu smell burn and gpu is dead. What can you do with a shorted gpu in this case? Toss it away? 

It was extremely expensive back in 2013..sigh

10 minutes ago, GrandExchange said:

I'd be doing that from now on, unfortunately I think the lesson come at the cost of my gpu as well as it fail to boot with the old psu I have....

I'm glad to know these psu is easy to find though.

thank you so much for everything.

You were very unlikely if that did indeed happen. But it's also possible that the PSU is just no longer capable of running the GPU, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Even if you can't find one in a store, you will find one online very easily. No problem.

6 minutes ago, wzrd said:

You were very unlikely if that did indeed happen. But it's also possible that the PSU is just no longer capable of running the GPU, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Even if you can't find one in a store, you will find one online very easily. No problem.

You're right. Perhaps I can try bring the gpu to fry's...I don't know if they willing to test it on their system to see if it really dead or not

You're right. Perhaps I can try bring the gpu to fry's...I don't know if they willing to test it on their system to see if it really dead or not

They might do, wouldn't do any harm to ask!

1 minute ago, wzrd said:

They might do, wouldn't do any harm to ask!

Indeed!! For how much it costed me I'd go an extra mile if it meant not having to replace it. Id never consider another compact built though...it's a nightmade to do anything with it..lesson learned

I'd be heading to fry's now.

Thank you and everyone else for the help...I waited 8 hours on toms hardware and reddit without a single reply but everyone here was extremely helpful and quick to help! ^_^

Indeed!! For how much it costed me I'd go an extra mile if it meant not having to replace it. Id never consider another compact built though...it's a nightmade to do anything with it..lesson learned

I'd be heading to fry's now.

Thank you and everyone else for the help...I waited 8 hours on toms hardware and reddit without a single reply but everyone here was extremely helpful and quick to help! ^_^

If you don't need to move the system, bigger cases generally allow for better air flow and easier maintenance, as well as being more resistant to dust, so it is something to consider if you're building in future.

Let us know how you get on with it!

38 minutes ago, GrandExchange said:

Okay I finished testing the pc with the old psu. The thing also refuse to boot with the gpu plugged in. So I think the gpu is dead as well? 

It boot up smooth as soon as I disconnect the gpu....so in conclusion it seem is that my psu is burning an gpu is dead ..

I guess I should be looking for a 1060 with the new psu ?

Oh, the smell is very new, I never smell anything from this pc. I actually purchased it in 2013 so I'm sure it no longer have any warranty.

What PSU you'd tested with btw? But I have been suspecting that the GPU is at fault here. The VRM of the GPU had a parasitic short, continued to draw more and more power for the PSU, and cause the OCP of the power supply to shut off and prevent it from turning on. That would explain why the FSP 500w 1U PSU will POST the PC without a GPU, which open up the possibly that the PSU is fine too (the smell could simply be from the factory, that got stronger because of the fan blowing it out of the PSU)

Did you contact IBP, btw? If you are going to send it to Fry's to test the GPU, you could also ask them to see if they can test the PSU too (although they probably going to used a $10 PSU tester that doesn't really tell you anything as you need to test it under load).