Cray C916 (Supercomputer) scratch build - NAS case

HCP

Looks promising

i7 3770 | Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 | Kingston HyperX Blu 16 GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

Fractal Design Define R4 | Nexus RX-8500 850W | Asus P8Z68-V-PRO/GEN3 | 2 x Asus 24.1" PA248Q

“An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.” – Niels Bohr

can you please do a size compare? i cant understand how big it is >

Looks like an amazing idea.

Will follow your progress.

Good luck with the build!

I use i5-3470, 8GB kingston, SSD + 2x hdd, GTX 970

I cant wait to see the finished one.........

My youtube channel: itsMrN

awesome build never seen someone make there own NAS before!! keep it up!!

Current status, its messy due to wet sanding... But i´m gettin´ there

Hope to have all walls there tomorrow so i can start on the drive cages and stuff to hold all components :)

front5.jpg

Saw this on monsterpcmods too.. Really a unique case! Love the idea!

Would have been really if it would have been a little bigger and then with hot-swap in every little "compartment" :) not to say its not already really kewl! 

(Comming soon)

this isn't  computer this is a space ship. awesome build

definatly watching this space

Really starting to take shape, loving it.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Been lazy for a week now, but its time to get the top case done now :)

Here i am now, with some more rounded side panels.

Done some sanding as you can see on the case. After this its time for priming and a last sanding.

Things to do

- Drive cage inside

- Mounting points for motherboard and PSU

- Bottom part

- Rounded top part

Well, the walls gets glued now!

front6.jpg

I love seeing projects like this! best motivation... cant wait to see the end build

Well this is officially fricken awesome!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

• 2 months later...
Now i´m back to my real projects again :)

As the YAPP installing i needed to do some work to keep my hands busy.
Working on the round roof and some side panels.

Current status!

c10.jpg

Very glad to see this is still going. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Pretty good!

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Maybe i should notice that this current state is without any putty/bondo or any kind of sanding :)

Thats next step to get a perfect finish of the surface. Now its time to see how motherboard and PSU fits.

What do you guys think, a Asus C60m1 (amd c60 cpu) with 4gb ram, or a Intel E8600 on a Zotac board, also 4gb ram, for this puppy ?

Just going to run FreeBSD/OpenBSD and samba shares, nothing fancy. And a Apache+php+mysql server for some developement testing.

What do you guys think, a Asus C60m1 (amd c60 cpu) with 4gb ram, or a Intel E8600 on a Zotac board, also 4gb ram, for this puppy ?

Well, going by power usage I'd lean towards the AMD solution at the moment (allegedly ~9 W vs.

the Intel's 65 W), but I'm not an expert on either of the two, so maybe there are more important

things to consider between the two possibilities.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Can't wait, I love the craftsmanship in this! Have you thought about cooling? Or are you going to do what Apple did with the Thermal Core?

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

Simply wow!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Can't wait, I love the craftsmanship in this! Have you thought about cooling? Or are you going to do what Apple did with the Thermal Core?

Thanks, cooling i have a 120mm fan in front of the drives, one 140mm in the bottom and one in the top.

That little roof is spaced about 4mm and gives somewhat of a good exhaust for warm air.

Also the PSU have a fan blowing out one side.

When i put in all parts im gonna use a fancontroller with temp probes to check best config, bottom fan pushing in, top pulling out and the drive-fan also pushing in. But it isnt always theory works IRL :)

Loving all this, can't wait to see a finished product.

Are you going to take pics of the parts installs?

Production Control, Fish Keeper, Lover of Audio