Possible to have a bad CMOS bat. on a new board?

I never even considered this as an option until someone pointed it out to me. I have a brand new board (well, I bought it used but the original owner bought it new). 

I have been having intermittent trouble with the board resetting itself after the system is shut down, and now it is doing it without fail every single time. It lasted a week or so of being ok, and on installing a new GPU is where my issues started, i.e. after the PC was disconnected from the wall. On power up, the LEDs revert back to their default static red, and entering the BIOS says 'BIOS settings have been reset, press ok to continue.'

After a Reddit user mentioned CMOS, I did have a look at the battery, and it looked... well, not new, put it that way. It is definitely a little scratched up and worn. Is it possible that a bad battery went into the board on its initial manufacture? 

At first I thought it was an unstable OC, but reverting to stock does nowt either! 

Can send any more info if needed, but I'm almost convinced (as odd as it sounds) that the CMOS battery is to blame.

Many different parts can be made in the wrong way, be DOA or break quickly due to being a bad sample.

Your CMOS battery might be the just that in this case, it's possible.

Getting a new CMOS battery isn't expensive though, check which battery you need and go buy a new one. :)

i wouldnt say it's likely, but i defenately wouldnt call it impossible. for as much as CR2032's are proven technology at this point, batteries are batteries, and battery failures happen when you expect them least ;)

4 hours ago, MVPernula said:

Many different parts can be made in the wrong way, be DOA or break quickly due to being a bad sample.

Your CMOS battery might be the just that in this case, it's possible.

Getting a new CMOS battery isn't expensive though, check which battery you need and go buy a new one. :)

Hi

Ok, I swapped out the battery, and noticed something VERY suspect. In Corsair Link, it shows you a value called 'VBat.' I thought this was supposed to be around 3-3.3v (the battery I am using is 3.0v, although I have seen people say that only 3.3v will do). 

The readings says (for a new battery) 1.6v..!

If this is correct, then either I have had two dead batteries, or something is wrong with the CMOS 'cradle' (not sure how to refer to it)? 

I'm not even sure if I can rely on this software, as it is quite literally the first time I have ever seen VBat be reported in any software suite. Ever. 

What do you think? Motherboard back to Gigabyte? 

1 minute ago, RafflesTheThief said:

Hi

Ok, I swapped out the battery, and noticed something VERY suspect. In Corsair Link, it shows you a value called 'VBat.' I thought this was supposed to be around 3-3.3v (the battery I am using is 3.0v, although I have seen people say that only 3.3v will do). 

The readings says (for a new battery) 1.6v..!

If this is correct, then either I have had two dead batteries, or something is wrong with the CMOS 'cradle' (not sure how to refer to it)? 

I'm not even sure if I can rely on this software, as it is quite literally the first time I have ever seen VBat be reported in any software suite. Ever. 

What do you think? Motherboard back to Gigabyte? 

Uhh.. That's strange.

I'm afraid that's not my strongest subject.

Dont want to send you off information.

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

i wouldnt say it's likely, but i defenately wouldnt call it impossible. for as much as CR2032's are proven technology at this point, batteries are batteries, and battery failures happen when you expect them least ;)

Do you have a clue about this? :)

8 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Do you have a clue about this? :)

yes.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

yes.

Waiting with baited breath :D

Built many a PC, and this is first for me..!

Just now, RafflesTheThief said:

Waiting with baited breath :D

Built many a PC, and this is first for me..!

if you deal with batteries of vareous kinds often, you learn to expect random things of vareous kinds to happen often :D

Well you didn't say what board it is. If its a NOS Core 2 Quad board then yes, the battery could have died over the years.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430