Delided CPU? opinions

so i recently was looking into upgrading my cpu and seen a good deal on a delided i7 and figured id fish for your guys opinions. the guy is claiming it runs cooler was hoping some of you would have personal experience good or bad.

Don't have personal experience, but delidded CPUs, if done properly do run cooler.  Do you have any more details about the i7 (model, price, etc.)?

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Delidded CPU's aren't bad, I popped the top on mine and I'm loving it, but there has been a huge uptick in the amount of unexperienced people trying to delid since there are now tools that make it very easy.  I'd be very careful to make sure you aren't buying one that has been superglued back together or been fried due to poor liquid metal TIM application or something like that. 

Also Thread moved to CPU's Motherboards and Memory

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

11 minutes ago, Lynxxifer said:

so i recently was looking into upgrading my cpu and seen a good deal on a delided i7 and figured id fish for your guys opinions. the guy is claiming it runs cooler was hoping some of you would have personal experience good or bad.

They run cooler, clock higher and require less voltage then they did prior to delid. 

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

Don't have personal experience, but delidded CPUs, if done properly do run cooler.  Do you have any more details about the i7 (model, price, etc.)?

1 hour ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Delidded CPU's aren't bad, I popped the top on mine and I'm loving it, but there has been a huge uptick in the amount of unexperienced people trying to delid since there are now tools that make it very easy.  I'd be very careful to make sure you aren't buying one that has been superglued back together or been fried due to poor liquid metal TIM application or something like that. 

Also Thread moved to CPU's Motherboards and Memory

if i buy it i can just instal my cpu cooler as i normally would with the thermal paste?

8 minutes ago, Lynxxifer said:

if i buy it i can just instal my cpu cooler as i normally would with the thermal paste?

Yes, if you buy the tool, you can correctly delid the CPU.  Then, once you're done replacing the stock TIM with the paste or liquid metal of your choice, you will need to decide if you're going to free float the IHS or reseal it.  I recommend that you reseal it so that it installs exactly like a stock CPU does. 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Yes, if you buy the tool, you can correctly delid the CPU.  Then, once you're done replacing the stock TIM with the paste or liquid metal of your choice, you will need to decide if you're going to free float the IHS or reseal it.  I recommend that you reseal it so that it installs exactly like a stock CPU does. 

I think he's buying it already delidded though, ideally it would already be properly delidded and resealed but hard to tell.

12 minutes ago, Lynxxifer said:

See above^ but without knowing the exact situation I can't say.  If it was properly delidded (with good LM) and resealed then you should be able to use it just like a regular CPU.  

If it is sold without the IHS attached then you'll need to get a good liquid metal TIM (coolabs/conductanaut/phobyaLM) and apply to the die.  You'll then either have to reseal the IHS or just simply float it on the die while you clamp it down and be careful next time you take it out.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I think he's buying it already delidded though, ideally it would already be properly delidded and resealed but hard to tell.

You're right.  I forgot what he already stated in the OP.  I'm bouncing all over the place tonight.  xD

How are you liking that 1080 Ti?  See, I'm doing it again.  Haha

6 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

See above^ but without knowing the exact situation I can't say.  If it was properly delidded (with good LM) and resealed then you should be able to use it just like a regular CPU.  

If it is sold without the IHS attached then you'll need to get a good liquid metal TIM (coolabs/conductanaut/phobyaLM) and apply to the die.  You'll then either have to reseal the IHS or just simply float it on the die while you clamp it down and be careful next time you take it out.

he said he has a dye attached.

8 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

IMG_5356.PNG

12 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You're right.  I forgot what he already stated in the OP.  I'm bouncing all over the place tonight.  xD

How are you liking that 1080 Ti?  See, I'm doing it again.  Haha

happens to me all the time xD

I'm bloody loving it!  Would be nice if Watercool would get the blacktop blocks done already, really wasn't planning on waiting this long to get her underwater but it's given me some time to think of more ways to spend money on my loop at the same time

8 minutes ago, Lynxxifer said:

he said he has a dye attached.

6 minutes ago, Lynxxifer said:

Spoiler

IMG_5356.PNG

If the IHS is attached then you should be alright ASSUMING they did a good job applying TIM, I'd also be asking what they used to attach the IHS with.  If it was me I would open it up to check, a good LM application should not require any new TIM as it should still be liquid.  The photo is of a freshly delidded CPU so if it is in that state then you'll need to clean both surfaces and apply TIM/install.

It should also be said that delidding voids Intel's warranty