Vista download still available?

lonestar31
Go to solution Solved by Stevoisboss,
3 minutes ago, lonestar31 said:

I am not familiar with that.. How will that work? Can they still use if for internet and the like? 

Its the whole operating system except it will be watermarked in the bottom right saying to activate windows and you can't change the background. Internet will work fine and everything else pretty much. Google unactivated windows cons if you want to know more about it. It won't ever expire or anything.

I have an XPS desktop that I got from work without the HDDs. It has a Vista Ultimate OEM sticker on the side and I want to know if I can still use that to put Vista back on the computer. I want to give this to a family that is a bit down on their luck at the moment. Their computer just died and they cannot afford a new one, and they need it for the basics and the kids homework. Luckily they did backup all of the really important stuff like pictures and school projects. I would do a Kingiun  Windows 10 key but I am not in a fantastic financial position myself unfortunately, and I REALLY am not sure about that path either. I have replaced the missing HDD with an old one from my laptop and it should do the trick nicely if I can get an operating system on it. Any help would be appreciated. 

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

I think you could find it deep into the internet. But, it is not supported anymore, don't recommend getting it back.

I would install a linux distro such as Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu will work fine for Web Browsing and then you can install LibreOffice for free which is just like Microsoft Office. It will help with some performance. 

Edit: Fixed Grammar 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

2 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

I would install a linux distro such as Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu will work fine for Web Browsing and then you can install LibreOffice for free which is just like Microsoft Office. It will help with some performance. 

Edit: Fixed Grammar 

I was thinking of that, in fact I have Mint or Cinnamon on it now I think. Though I cant seem to get the USB WiFi dongle I have for it to work. Any suggestions ? 

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

4 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

Give them windows 10 unactivated. Just download windows media creation tool and put it on a thumbdrive. Boot off of it and when prompted to enter code put "I don't have a code"

I am not familiar with that.. How will that work? Can they still use if for internet and the like? 

3 minutes ago, lonestar31 said:

Its the whole operating system except it will be watermarked in the bottom right saying to activate windows and you can't change the background. Internet will work fine and everything else pretty much. Google unactivated windows cons if you want to know more about it. It won't ever expire or anything.

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

6 minutes ago, lonestar31 said:

I was thinking of that, in fact I have Mint or Cinnamon on it now I think. Though I cant seem to get the USB WiFi dongle I have for it to work. Any suggestions ? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hHdqqs/edimax-wireless-network-card-ew7811un

I got this to work out of the box on fedora and ubuntu without issues.

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

10 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

LibreOffice -snip- is just like Microsoft Office.

I wouldn't say that. Layout wise, it's almost exactly like MS Office 2003, it supports MS Office files, and it uses the same shortcuts (but those are virtually universal and have been for a LONG time). 

I doubt many people remember the ins and outs of MS Office 2003, and I'm willing to bet that those that do are either older than dirt, or work for someone who is. The rest of the world has since moved on. 2007 and forward, it's been the ribbon, and that's fresh in peoples' minds.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm not sure if it works with Vista, but you might be able to authenticate a Windows 10 install with that Vista key. I just did it last week with a Windows 7 key.

11 minutes ago, linkboy said:

I'm not sure if it works with Vista, but you might be able to authenticate a Windows 10 install with that Vista key. I just did it last week with a Windows 7 key.

No. You couldn't upgrade from Vista to 10 so you can't use a Vista key to make 10 work.

@lonestar31

Just google Windows Vista 64bit download. Get the iso. Put it on a disc or USB and install it. Use the key on the back of the computer. They can still use the latest version of Firefox as it still works on Vista. Other wise use a unlicensed 10.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

No. You couldn't upgrade from Vista to 10 so you can't use a Vista key to make 10 work.

@lonestar31

Just google Windows Vista 64bit download. Get the iso. Put it on a disc or USB and install it. Use the key on the back of the computer. They can still use the latest version of Firefox as it still works on Vista. Other wise use a unlicensed 10.

I wasn't sure, been a while since I messed with Vista.

3 hours ago, Stevoisboss said:

Good News! A family member gave them a computer to use so they wont need this one! But I think I will try this just to see how it works for the future. Thank you everyone for all your help!