Best Phone Blue Light Filter App?

Is there a blue light filter app on android that isn't just a brown filter?

the apps I've found simply make everything less blue, but that really ruins colors like black, making them more brown. it's not filtering blue light correctly.

are there any apps that actually do this correctly?

(My phone is an LG G4, not running nougat, so there's no built in option)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

nexus 6p user here i use twilight, works well enough for me.  

well, when you want to show a totally black screen, it shows a strange brown/orange tint

just check this by looking up pictures of black on google, and see that it isn't black.

I'm wondering if there's a way to filter out blue light not by putting a dumb filter over your entire screen.

windows 10 creators update has a mode which does this right

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Yup, twilight is the best you'll get without a custom ROM.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

dumb filter over your entire screen

that is what blue light filter is.......... i have no idea what window 10 does. 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that is what blue light filter is.......... i have no idea what window 10 does. 

AFAIK, it actually filters at a much lower software level, altering the actual blue levels of the pixels instead of just making them all more brown

this means that if you have a white background (R: 255 G: 255 B: 255) it might just take down the blue, leaving you with a properly adjusted image. (R: 255 G:255 B:Less Than 255) twilight and other apps do this pretty well with their filters though.

where true blue filtering shines, is blacks. (R: 0 G: 0 B: 0). a dumb filter would leave something like this (R: 50ish G: 50ish B: 0), because it doesn't lower blues, rather it lowers all colors, then bumps up red and green. a true filter would to this (R: 0 G: 0 B: 0) because it decreases from the blue value, which is already zero, so blacks are displayed correctly.

for some reason, it really bugs me when a black screen appears a "crusty poop" color instead of black.

8 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

Yup, twilight is the best you'll get without a custom ROM.

dammit.

guess i have to wait until forever for LG to release Nougat for the G4, and then for Verizon to put all their bloat in the update, and then, finally, if the universe doesn't die of heat death first, get nougat.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

guess i have to wait until forever for LG to release Nougat for the G4, and then for Verizon to put all their bloat in the update, and then, finally, if the universe doesn't die of heat death first, get nougat.

good old lgg4 boot loop will take care of that for you. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/03/class-action-lawsuit-targets-lg-over-legendary-g4-v10-bootloop-issues/

24 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Tell me about it...

My first LG G4 boot looped April 2016

My replacement LG G4 boot looped October 2016

My replacement replacement LG G4 is what I'm using now.

I'm already part of the class action lawsuit.

Desktop:

Laptop:

• 1 year later...

Rather than tweak your phone settings or get a 3rd party app, just get a physical blue light filter for android, whichever device you own they make it. Also this way you don't have to deal with sketchy 3rd party app permissions.