Are TN panels really that bad

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Well, I can concede that with a high quality TN panel, viewing the display more or less head on, you can't tell if it's an IPS panel or a TN one. For example (totally stolen from www.tftcentral.co.uk )

ASUS ROG PG279Q (IPS display)

viewing.jpg

ASUS ROG PG258Q (TN display)

viewing_angles.jpg

However, it seems that TN panels are may have been relegated to either the bottom of the barrel or the top end. IPS is filling in the middle rather nicely. You can readily find 24" 1080p IPS monitors for under $150 USD.

So I'm just about to enter pc gaming so I've never owend a TN VA or a IPS panel IPS sounds nice but is expensive and when I want g sync 144hz 1080p tell me if I'm wrong but IPS seem impossible except at huge prices VA seems rare and well I'm wondering about TN panels so are their colors really that bad and are viewing angels really that much of a issue if I'm going to be sitting at it all day

2 minutes ago, Mastersam said:

So I'm just about to enter pc gaming so I've never owend a TN VA or a IPS panel IPS sounds nice but is expensive and when I want g sync 144hz 1080p tell me if I'm wrong but IPS seem impossible except at huge prices VA seems rare and well I'm wondering about TN panels so are their colors really that bad and are viewing angels really that much of a issue if I'm going to be sitting at it all day

No. i use a TN. you can adjust the colors to look fairly good. Its not a problem

1 minute ago, Mastersam said:

Pretty sure you have seen a TN panel as a LCD from a TV is also either one of those with TN being common on older models but speaking from experience TN panels are worse but are definitely doable and the only major flaw I personally have with them is the viewing angle but that is only a issue on laptops since they use hinges and tablets since the are often looked at from extreme angles. For normal PC use a TN is fine but a IPS would bring your viewing experience more to life.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

It varies massively by screen.  Some TNs are quite good and you'd never find yourself upset at the viewing angles.  You might even be fooled into thinking it's an IPS.  Some TNs are so bad that sitting directly in front of them, there is a massive band of distortion through the middle of the screen since the viewing angles are non-existent.  To see the effect I mean, look at the video where Linus checks out the new 240 Hz panel and views it from below.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

it depends on your needs, but if you get a good TN panel it's very acceptable for everyday use.

the catch is with "good". with IPS panels you're essentially "guaranteed" to be a bit higher up the color accuracy ladder, where TN panels can be REALLY shit, but if the manufacturer has half a brain cell can be quite decent as well.

It's mostly in laptops that TN panels are a no-go.

In a monitor you will be looking at it from the same angle pretty much. As for colors you will be fine if you are not doing anything that needs accurate colors

Just now, Christopher_ said:

It's mostly in laptops that TN panels are a no-go.

+1

laptop displays are generally shit. i cannot give a reason why, but when i'm shopping for laptops, you can just "see" if it has TN or IPS on the spec sheet, because the TN ones usually are that crap you can see it on whatever digital spec sheet showoff thing they have running on them.

Well, I can concede that with a high quality TN panel, viewing the display more or less head on, you can't tell if it's an IPS panel or a TN one. For example (totally stolen from www.tftcentral.co.uk )

ASUS ROG PG279Q (IPS display)

viewing.jpg

ASUS ROG PG258Q (TN display)

viewing_angles.jpg

However, it seems that TN panels are may have been relegated to either the bottom of the barrel or the top end. IPS is filling in the middle rather nicely. You can readily find 24" 1080p IPS monitors for under $150 USD.

A cheap IPS panel will at least look decent; a bad TN panel will look awful. You can get good TN panels, but they still won't look as nice as a good IPS panel. If possible, find a good panel review like on TFTCentral, Tom's Hardware, or Prad.