Some settings are managed by your organisation

Tilaron

My computer had a funny turn about an hour ago, the action centre suddenly lit up telling me my user control somethingorother (the thing that controls pop-ups whenever you use .exes etc.) had been changed/disabled... it hadn't, but this made me think "Oh no muh datas" so I ran windows defender, it found no problems, neither did malwarebytes. However, windows defender was now saying real-time protection was disabled, which malwarebytes shouldn't affect (and I don't leave malwarebytes running anyway because it can be incredibly annoying sometimes). So I tried to reenable it and that's when I saw the message that is the title of this thread with the little slider greyed out in the off position. The attached picture was taken AFTER I had tried several fixes to remove this message (including the telemetry fix, changing domain settings, several registry 'fixes' (some registry keys weren't even there for me)) and it was in the group policy editor I was able to force real-time protection back on.

But still I'm stuck with this message and the normal way to enable/disable real-time protection is unavailable. It seems a lot of people have had this message with other parts of windows (lock screen, changing updates) and have found ways to fix it, but unfortunately I seem to be in a minority without a working fix.

Soooooo ... anyone here like mysteries? I'm stumped.

I'm on Win10 Pro, version 1607, build 14393.1066, 64-bit.

Untitled.png

I only touched the real-time protection setting after getting nowhere with any other fixes. I had this message before I started trying to solve it, but before today I'd never had this message before. I also haven't had a windows update for about a week.

13 minutes ago, Tilaron said:

I only touched the real-time protection setting after getting nowhere with any other fixes. I had this message before I started trying to solve it, but before today I'd never had this message before. I also haven't had a windows update for about a week.

ugh this again, i still don't know, random machines on my fleet keep coming back with this insulting shit-eating message. All my machines have local administrator accounts, they are only used by techies from my company who have been briefed on what they are allowed to do on my machines. Yet they keep showing up.

Please someone if you have the answer, enlighten me, i keep just re-imaging these machines every time they show up and it wastes way too much of my time

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

ok i worked it out, apparently i was just shit at googling before.

"i can insult my own google usage on LTT right ?"

Turns out this message appears when you have Diagnostic & Usage Data set to "Basic"

Change it to Enhanced and the message goes away.

So essentially, microsoft are after our data, and will make our OS ugly if we don't give it to them, thanks 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

21 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

ok i worked it out, apparently i was just shit at googling before.

"i can insult my own google usage on LTT right ?"

Turns out this message appears when you have Diagnostic & Usage Data set to "Basic"

Change it to Enhanced and the message goes away.

So essentially, microsoft are after our data, and will make our OS ugly if we don't give it to them, thanks 

I tried this, rebooted, message was still there. There's a fix that involves switching it to full & back to basic which didn't work for me, and I'd rather keep the privacy settings as tight as possible. UGh.