Is it a good idea to buy a used older graphics card?

so i have a very small budget and if im buying brand new card i can buy something like a gt 740 which i think is not worth the money. for the same amount i can get a gtx 660 or maybe even a 750ti but im held back because of having no warranty issue. the last time i spent my money on something expensive was a used xbox 360 but it broke in like 6 months time.i just dont want something like that happening again. my question is will a used gpu like a gtx 660 run for at least 1 and half years period?

Buying used there's no way to know how long it's going to last once you get hold of it, depends if the card was overclocked, how often it was used(light gaming vs bitcoin mining or w/e the gpu equivalent is for example)

On a tight budget it is the better option in most cases though.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

its general ok to buy used things like gpus and processors but used psus are a bit of a different story imo. just dont pat to much for anything and you can usualy save alot of money

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

About used, ask the owner and test it first. I recommend doing that because never know what situation the GPU will be

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

On 5/4/2017 at 2:43 PM, Ordinarily_Greater said:

About used, ask the owner and test it first. I recommend doing that because never know what situation the GPU will be

yes i can go to his place and see how it works for myself. what should i check when i get there.probably with the gpu, there would be something like MSI afterburner or some GPU tweak software installed with it when drivers were put.i can use this to see what temperature the card is running at. what other things should i be checking when i get there? and also what is the safe temperature for a galaxy gtx 660 and a gtx 750ti?

On 5/4/2017 at 2:20 PM, Megah3rtz said:

Between the two, choose the 750 Ti. And yes, it is worth it. 

isnt the 660 more powerful? i checked user benchmark website and compared the two and according to that the 660 was well ahead. dis there any other card from the amd side that i can buy for similar price of a used 750ti 

Definitely worth it, especially if you find a GPU with high end custom cooler (MSI, Asus...) tthat will have better longevity. I bought my GTX 670 DirectCUII in 2014 (2012 GPU) for 100€ and I'm still getting value from it. Buying something comparable at the time (so, custom GTX 960) would've cost me more than twice the price.

Even when taking power efficiency into account, the improvements are not that important to justify the price difference. Even now the GTX 670 still compares with a 1050 Ti for a much lower price.

[Insert smart comment here]

On 5/4/2017 at 4:47 AM, RKRiley said:

Buying used there's no way to know how long it's going to last once you get hold of it, depends if the card was overclocked, how often it was used(light gaming vs bitcoin mining or w/e the gpu equivalent is for example)

On a tight budget it is the better option in most cases though.

All the things you mentioned are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to a used GPU.

---

Look for a deal. If you're looking for a new sub 100 dollar GPU I'd go for the new RX 550 or the upcoming GT 1030.

2 hours ago, Shammikit said:

isnt the 660 more powerful? i checked user benchmark website and compared the two and according to that the 660 was well ahead. dis there any other card from the amd side that i can buy for similar price of a used 750ti 

I own a 660, my brother owns a 750Ti, same processor (FX 6300.) even with my processor being clocked higher than his, he still outperforms me by 2-5FPS constantly in most titles. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

11 hours ago, PrimeSonic said:

All the things you mentioned are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to a used GPU.

Not really, if it's been heavily overclocked and run at high temps or used for whatever the bitcoin mining equivalent is, it'll generally have a shorter lifespan. That's common knowledge. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

17 hours ago, Hunter-97-G said:

Look for a deal. If you're looking for a new sub 100 dollar GPU I'd go for the new RX 550 or the upcoming GT 1030.

i was planning for the RX 550 as well but it turns out to be a bit slower than the gtx 750ti in majority of the titles. and the RX 550 in our country is stupidly priced. its seriously not a budget graphics card in our country.and importing one from a site like amazon is not an option as well because the shipping costs are more than the product itself! so will have to settle for a used gpu

On 5/5/2017 at 8:08 PM, Shammikit said:

yes i can go to his place and see how it works for myself. what should i check when i get there.probably with the gpu, there would be something like MSI afterburner or some GPU tweak software installed with it when drivers were put.i can use this to see what temperature the card is running at. what other things should i be checking when i get there? and also what is the safe temperature for a galaxy gtx 660 and a gtx 750ti?

70°C and below 

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

On 5/4/2017 at 1:44 AM, Shammikit said:

so i have a very small budget and if im buying brand new card i can buy something like a gt 740 which i think is not worth the money. for the same amount i can get a gtx 660 or maybe even a 750ti but im held back because of having no warranty issue. the last time i spent my money on something expensive was a used xbox 360 but it broke in like 6 months time.i just dont want something like that happening again. my question is will a used gpu like a gtx 660 run for at least 1 and half years period?

im sorry but either way you arent going to game on those cards. youre better off saving up a bit more and running on your igpu intul you have around 100 dollars. thats where the good used items start to appear 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 hours ago, rrubberr said:

I've never had issues with used computer parts, and most of my used parts are much older than that. Just use some common sense when looking at listings.

Is this a steal of deal? R9 270 for $108

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :