Need help with audio technica ath-im02 IEMS

tuunade98

Im just wondering would a samsung galaxy s7(non-edge) be sufficient for these iems? Ive been doing a lot of reading and a lot of people say to get the ideal audio from these iems, it is best to plug them into a source with <1ohms. The only source that i have that meets that requirement is a schiit magni 2 + schiit modi 2 uber, which i believe is just much too powerful for iems, correct me if im wrong. 

The S7 is not ideal as it has almost 6 ohms of output impedance, so the better source by far would be the Magni 2.  And no, the Magni 2 is not too powerful, it has a low gain mode and you just need to be careful with the volume pot.

Try testing between the Magni 2 and the S7, theoretically the S7's output should be brighter, as in the lower frequencies the IM02's impedance drops down to as low as 16 ohms.  It shouldn't be that bad though, between my iPhone 6S (~4 ohm) and the 7's dongle (<1ohm), the dongle just had a little more bass extension.

Now if it had >10 ohm output impedance, thats when I would say to throw away that shitty source xD

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

thanks, I see you have the ad2000x. I too have the ad2000x and LOVE IT!! anyway... if i wanted something more portable then the schiit 2 stack for my im02 iEMS, what would you recommend? I prefer something under 100AUD and was looking at the fiio a1, http://www.minidisc.com.au/head-amps-dacs/headphone-amps-dacs/portable-amps-dacs/fiio-a1-portable-headphone-amplifier-p-1100950.html

I hope it is okay to link stuff here, but any other recommendations will be welcomed as well. 

Edit: I'm really uncomfortable with plugging the iems into my schiit stack. Rather not have to be "careful", the iems cost me 339aud. Would hate for something bad to happen. What did you mean by dongle pomfinator? please advise me with something with more of your wiseness. 

Actually, do you have the Exynos or the Snapdragon version? They have different audio solutions, and the Exynos version has no output impedance measurement available publicly.

Just whatever you do, do the listening tests first.  No point in buying something that might be pointless.  Even if you were to buy something, I would just save up and go for a Dragonfly Black.

Speakers - KEF LSX

3 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

Actually, do you have the Exynos or the Snapdragon version? They have different audio solutions, and the Exynos version has no output impedance measurement available publicly.

Just whatever you do, do the listening tests first.  No point in buying something that might be pointless.  Even if you were to buy something, I would just save up and go for a Dragonfly Black.

to be honest im not sure what i have. I dont have an edge i just got the normal s7. By dragonfly black, do you mean this? http://www.minidisc.com.au/head-amps-dacs/headphone-amps-dacs/portable-amps-dacs/audioquest-dragonfly-12-usb-digitalaudio-converter-p-1100805.html
don't i need an amp, not a dac? because im under the impression that I just need something with an output impedance of <1ohms. 

EDIT: and dam that is too expensiiiveee.. i was hoping i would never really need a dac/amp when i bought the schiit. I only just started getting into IEMs, gawd the audio world is my cancer.. tooooo much money.

38 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

Edit: I'm really uncomfortable with plugging the iems into my schiit stack. Rather not have to be "careful", the iems cost me 339aud. Would hate for something bad to happen. What did you mean by dongle pomfinator? please advise me with something with more of your wiseness. 

Don't be a pussy.  Go forth and listen!

The iPhone 7 dongle is the thing that allows people to use wired headphones with it. It, unlike most phones has a near zero output impedance.

14 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

don't i need an amp, not a dac? because im under the impression that I just need something with an output impedance of <1ohms. 

You don't need a near zero output impedance.  Like I said, listen first, you might not even be able to tell the difference.

Speakers - KEF LSX

no nono nnono, im a pussy. Im not a bank thank you very much. but anyway yes i will listen first with my s7 and my ipad and see how it goes. but nooo i dont think imma bother with my schiit stack when it comes to the iems. 

6 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

no nono nnono, im a pussy. Im not a bank thank you very much. but anyway yes i will listen first with my s7 and my ipad and see how it goes. but nooo i dont think imma bother with my schiit stack when it comes to the iems. 

I'm serious, don't be scared.  They are not going to break, you aren't going to turn it up all the way like a retard right?  If I can plug mine into my Asgard 2 no problemo, you can do it on your Magni 2.

You will go deaf before you destroy them, I guarantee you.

Speakers - KEF LSX