Is Counter-Strike losing its fame now?

DemonicHeart

I've noticed for a while that counterstrike isn't as popular as before.

maybe people are finally getting bored of it..

but as it seems, PLAYERUNKNOWN BATTLEGROUNDS is running the show now.. been second top streamed game for three days in a row..

normally it will fluctuate.. but its been second consistently. maybe because its 'new' or people really like it..

personally i like the game, i bought it and i play it every day. even before i go to work.. i leave home at 7:25am..

i play it from 6am till i have to leave lol.. fun times

the deaths scare me.. all u hear is a very loud noise which will trigger you to jump.. I LOVE IT..

I want the game to be pushed further.. maybe the makers of the game joins forces with a popular company like Rockstar who makes GTA..

by doing that they will get help and resources such as more servers for better online play and help fixing bugs ex...

P.S: This is the first game i don't mind bugs .. it makes it funny.. more so when streaming.. makes me laugh like wtf lol

4 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I think CS started a decline ~2 years ago

True...the only time I see it get higher in streams is for tournaments 

on the note of pub g, i dont think that it would do the game any good joining forces with a big dev team, it would take something away from the game. At the moment the devs are a few guys who truly care about the game, that would change if they were to work with a big organisation.

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I think CS started a decline ~2 years ago

Dota 2 too. Active players dropped massively

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

also, bare in mind that summit usually has 20,000 viewers and he is streaming pub g which makes a massive difference to the viewer count on twitch 

I just hate how they decided to change the negev.. that gun was the best and if you could spray control with that then you could easily win with it. but they decided to make it some stupid spray control weapon with horrible accuracy when you first start shooting it.

Just now, Fungal said:

I just hate how they decided to change the negev.. that gun was the best and if you could spray control with that then you could easily win with it. but they decided to make it some stupid spray control weapon with horrible accuracy when you first start shooting it.

You're not a very high rank are you....

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Just now, Rupe said:

You're not a very high rank are you....

i was mg2 and used the nova, r8, and negev if that answers your question

3 minutes ago, mainac said:

also, bare in mind that summit usually has 20,000 viewers and he is streaming pub g which makes a massive difference to the viewer count on twitch 

He don't always play the game..for example now

2 minutes ago, Fungal said:

i was mg2 and used the nova, r8, and negev if that answers your question

The negev was worse than the M4 and AK and was overpriced, one would only buy it as a troll.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

2 minutes ago, Rupe said:

The negev was worse than the M4 and AK and was overpriced, one would only buy it as a troll.

The negev isn't that bad as long as you can control the spray short to mid range. It's a trolling weapon but that was the fun of it. 

It might be losing popularity with streamers, but I don't see it losing popularity within the competitive and casual circles. Keep in mind CS as a whole is almost 17 years old, and it's more popular now than it ever was between 1.6 and Source.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

8 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

It might be losing popularity with streamers, but I don't see it losing popularity within the competitive and casual circles. Keep in mind CS as a whole is almost 17 years old, and it's more popular now than it ever was between 1.6 and Source.

Thats what i said.. most of the time when its within the top streams is when there's a tournament 

Every now and then somebody comes out saying CS GO is diying or some stuff like that.

I think Playerunknowns Battlegrounds will maybe rock for the next 6 months, but then a new game will come out and "steal the scene".

CS and other Esports games are stable platform and will basically last forever.

8 hours ago, DemonicHeart said:

Thats what i said.. most of the time when its within the top streams is when there's a tournament 

I wouldn't say that something is loosing fame if it drops from #1 spot. Just opened Twitch and its #1 now. I think the top 5 of Twitch has been about same from launch of Overwatch. If some of those would drop from top 5 or even top 10, then we could talk about people loosing interest in streams.

But to actually compare whole scene, you'd need to compare average players for daily basis and amount/interest of tournaments. Just with Steam's player counters, Dota 2 has (atm) over 500k players. CSGO has 180k and PLAYERUNKNOWNS _only_ 70k. Are there even tournaments/esports factor for it and does it matter, idk.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

PUBG seems like H1Z1 clone to me... Even though I don't own either of them, I don't really like battle royale type of games. Tried it a few times in Arma 3 and it was horrible, mainly because I died pretty fast and I had to reconnect every time to the server. CS:GO will surely have a rather large player-base for at least a few years. In the meantime Valve will hopefully put out some major update for CSGO, like Source 2 engine. I'd really like some better graphics and stuff like that. PUBG is the 4th played game atm on steam, third being H1Z1 and first and secnd obviously Valve's very own Dota 2 and CS:GO. And PUBG and H1Z1 aren't even near CS:GO, they got like 70-80 thousand players when CS:GO and Dota got hunderds of thousands of players. Negev is a horrible gun, it is now, it was back then.

21 hours ago, Fungal said:

The negev isn't that bad

It was and it is. You could buy full armor, M4 and some nades, but no, I'd rather buy a gun that is totally useless. You only get kills with it if you play in low ranks or the enemy isn't expecting a dude to rush with a light machine gun behind the corner. Even then, you'll probably die.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

It needs to die already.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

It needs to die already.

I never understand why people would want a game series to die when there are people enjoying it. I saw someone say the same thing about CoD the other day and it makes no sense to me. There are many games I don't like. So I don't play them. But I don't wish the games stop being developed/maintained

1 minute ago, Rupe said:

I never understand why people would want a game series to die when there are people enjoying it. I saw someone say the same thing about CoD the other day and it makes no sense to me. There are many games I don't like. So I don't play them. But I don't wish the games stop being developed/maintained

Because it's stale. As is CoD's MP, which is more or less the same game every iteration.

CS:GO is still widely played because of the cashcow factor. Most of my near-1k title collection was purchased thanks to Steam Market transactions for, wait for it, CS:GO skins and boxes. Trade a couple skins here, a couple skins there, get a key or two, trade that for something else and so on

I've sold over 800 EUR worth of skins on the market alone, not to mention direct trades for games.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Cheater and Kiddi infested Game. Only Fun in LAN.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

27 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Because it's stale. As is CoD's MP, which is more or less the same game every iteration.

CS:GO is still widely played because of the cashcow factor. Most of my near-1k title collection was purchased thanks to Steam Market transactions for, wait for it, CS:GO skins and boxes. Trade a couple skins here, a couple skins there, get a key or two, trade that for something else and so on

I've sold over 800 EUR worth of skins on the market alone, not to mention direct trades for games.

Thinking a game is bad or stale is not a good reason to wish it will die. Stop playing it and stop putting money into the game, if enough people stop putting money into a game it will stop being maintained and will die.

It has no detriment on your life if there is game people are playing that you think is stale. 

Yes some people enjoy the marketplace in csgo and are willing to put in lots of money to get a bunch of cosmetics. Not for me but its fine. Your argument although i'm skeptical its true you made all that money, is basically it should die because 'I made a bunch of money out of csgo' i just don't understand what your getting at. Good for you.... I guess. Now why does this have anything to do with the game being discontinued.

2 minutes ago, Rupe said:

Thinking a game is bad or stale is not a good reason to wish it will die. Stop playing it and stop putting money into the game, if enough people stop putting money into a game it will stop being maintained and will die.

It has no detriment on your life if there is game people are playing that you think is stale. 

Yes some people enjoy the marketplace in csgo and are willing to put in lots of money to get a bunch of cosmetics. Not for me but its fine. Your argument although i'm skeptical its true you made all that money, is basically it should die because 'I made a bunch of money out of csgo' i just don't understand what your getting at. Good for you.... I guess. Now why does this have anything to do with the game being discontinued.

My point went right past you. I'm not saying I want it to die because I've made my cash and moved on. I'm saying the playerbase figures are skewed by the drop farmers

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

22 hours ago, DemonicHeart said:

I've noticed for a while that counterstrike isn't as popular as before.

maybe people are finally getting bored of it..

but as it seems, PLAYERUNKNOWN BATTLEGROUNDS is running the show now.. been second top streamed game for three days in a row..

normally it will fluctuate.. but its been second consistently. maybe because its 'new' or people really like it..

personally i like the game, i bought it and i play it every day. even before i go to work.. i leave home at 7:25am..

i play it from 6am till i have to leave lol.. fun times

the deaths scare me.. all u hear is a very loud noise which will trigger you to jump.. I LOVE IT..

I want the game to be pushed further.. maybe the makers of the game joins forces with a popular company like Rockstar who makes GTA..

by doing that they will get help and resources such as more servers for better online play and help fixing bugs ex...

P.S: This is the first game i don't mind bugs .. it makes it funny.. more so when streaming.. makes me laugh like wtf lol

I wouldnt say it has declined because....well. Nothing has been released to take it down. CS and Battlegrounds are two totally different styles of games. That's like saying Mario Kart will take down Forza. 

Until Battalion 1944 or another teambased one life shooter comes out then CS will continue to thrive. CS is the only FPS game out there that provides the one life mode other than maybe COD's Search and Destroy modes. 

No reason CS and Battlegrounds can't co exist, they are two different game styles. 

Just now, revsilverspine said:

My point went right past you. I'm not saying I want it to die because I've made my cash and moved on. I'm saying the playerbase figures are skewed by the drop farmers

Yes I did not get that from your post, although you could of made that clearer.

I'm not saying you're wrong and i'm sure there are some people who only play to drop farm but with 11 million people a month I would assume it was a negligibly small amount. Do you have any kind of figures to back up your assertion that  "the playerbase figures are skewed by the drop farmers"