Yi technology (xiaomi) released it's 3rd gen action cam 2 weeks ago

HarmFull

I didn't see any post of this here in the LTT forum nor could I find anything by search so I'm posting this.

Last year LMG posted a video of the 2nd gen camera of Xiaomi. The YI 4K was basically at that point beating the hero 4 black left and right.

LTT review:

Spoiler

Main points for this camera were:

• Half the price of a GoPro
  • Same mounting system as GoPro
  • Longer batterylife
  • Capacitive touchscreen

After Linus' review though, GoPro unleashed their hero 5 black on the market, which basically in terms of specs is very similar to the YI 4K camera linus reviewed but with two features that set it above last year's competitor.

• Waterproof without a case up to 10 meters
  • Voice control

Two weeks ago however, YI technology (Xiaomi's camera department) put the YI 4K+ on the market. It's the first action cam with 4K 60fps and 4K 30fps with EIS (electronic image stabilization). Also the price is 299USD

Here's a comparison that was made between the cameras:

Spoiler

R9tv2vn.png

* Price on the 4k+ was a pre-release speculation it's retailing for 299

So in short it has 4k 60fps, a larger battery, longer filming time and it costs less.

What about image quality you might ask, here's a comparison I found:

According to the creator of the video:

From the video we can see the daytime performance of YI 4K+ and GoPro Hero5 is almost the same, but on the YI 4K+ the color is much clearer. The YI 4K+ has a much better nighttime performance, it’s less grainy with a clearer image.

Highlights for YI 4K+:

• The worlds’ first 4K/60 action camera
  • Based on the latest Amba H2 SOC technology
  • Based on award winning YI 4K Action Camera
  •  Feature upgrade from YI 4K Action Camera

Time for a 2017 action cam comparison? @LinusTech?

I would like to see this, especially with an off-brand camera. it's interesting that it can run a flawless 4K picture at 60 FPS, and the fact that gopro has no intention to release a new camera, this thing could be the top of the pack. and if gopro does release a camera, they're going to price it way higher because, well, the thing is most likely going to be better. All I completely know is that consumers are going to win the war with lower prices and competition!

37 minutes ago, openthatchest said:

I would like to see this, especially with an off-brand camera. it's interesting that it can run a flawless 4K picture at 60 FPS, and the fact that gopro has no intention to release a new camera, this thing could be the top of the pack. and if gopro does release a camera, they're going to price it way higher because, well, the thing is most likely going to be better. All I completely know is that consumers are going to win the war with lower prices and competition!

Truthfully, Linus said that there was almost no visual difference. The thing is, most Chinese knockoffs are really at 480p. This one, as confirmed by Linus can actually record at 4K. And anyways, GoPro's version will be a lot more expensive than this one.

i like trains 🙂

I'm not big into cameras but this looks legit.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

Truthfully, Linus said that there was almost no visual difference. The thing is, most Chinese knockoffs are really at 480p. This one, as confirmed by Linus can actually record at 4K. And anyways, GoPro's version will be a lot more expensive than this one.

Yep. so, with that in mind, us consumers will have a similar cam but maybe 50-100 bucks cheaper, unless gopro  takes the L

3 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

It should be noted, that YI isn't like most other chinese knock-offs, as they actually make genuine products, which output the correct resolutions not just interpolated trash, and are regularly reviewed against, gopros, and other chinese cameras, and have always been on par with gopros, like all of YIs cameras are bloody excellent in their own right and them being cheaper than comparable action cameras is just a huge plus. 

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

59 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

It should be noted, that YI isn't like most other chinese knock-offs, as they actually make genuine products, which output the correct resolutions not just interpolated trash, and are regularly reviewed against, gopros, and other chinese cameras, and have always been on par with gopros, like all of YIs cameras are bloody excellent in their own right and them being cheaper than comparable action cameras is just a huge plus. 

I know it is genuine. Just like dji or honor

i like trains 🙂