How to upgrade android on unlocked Note 5?

Tai Tran

So I bought this used unlocked Note 5 and I've been sitting on Android 5.1.1 for quite a while. The phone is from AT&T and I'm using T-Mobile and I've been looking for a way to check on how to upgrade it to the most current version I can possibly do. I'm kinda helpless now. Any suggestion? I'm a noob about software so go easy on me....Thanks!!!

Install a custom rom such as cyangoen mod. Worked a treat for me on my Galaxy S4, I used lineage OS and am now running android 7.1.2

Follow this video:

Hope this helps :)

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

On 5/3/2017 at 7:10 AM, Tai Tran said:

So I bought this used unlocked Note 5 and I've been sitting on Android 5.1.1 for quite a while. The phone is from AT&T and I'm using T-Mobile and I've been looking for a way to check on how to upgrade it to the most current version I can possibly do. I'm kinda helpless now. Any suggestion? I'm a noob about software so go easy on me....Thanks!!!

Once the phone is a year or two old Samsung stops supporting it. Although you have Android, you have Samsung's version of Android. Most wireless phone makers add shit to the Android installation. This means, that when Google releases an update, you are not guaranteed to get an update on your phone. You might be SOL on getting an update over the air. You might have to root your phone and install a custom rom like @Speshul_ is suggesting. 

This is actually one of the biggest issues with Android, Google has little control over the OS. The only phones that run stock Android are generally phones sold directly from Google, such as the Google Pixel phone. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/3/2017 at 4:10 AM, Tai Tran said:

Welp, you head on over to the Note 5 section on XDA-developers.com and read all about it. Enjoy!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/note5

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)