How Would I Spray Paint a Case?

AutonomousRedux

I'm intending to recolor my mastercase from black to white. I'm thinking spray painting is the way to go. However, I've not done something like this before. Would those of you with more experience give me a few recommendations on paint brands, caps, and general tips?

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

I'm intending to recolor my mastercase from black to white. I'm thinking spray painting is the way to go. However, I've not done something like this before. Would those of you with more experience give me a few recommendations on paint brands, caps, and general tips?

Thank you.

I have a guide here which goes over the details of general painting, but for white paints I would recommend to look at an automotive brand such as Duplicolor as they tend to have more vibrant and brighter white or colors.

Hold about 30cm away and move back and forwards. Each spray should cover 1/2 unpainted and 1/2 of the previous spray, otherwise you get streaks. Too much paint and you get dribbles. Practice on a sheet of metal or glass not wood so you can see your mistakes.

Finish any paint job with a few layers of clear cloat to stop the paint colour from rubbing off.

Not many people know this but you can buy nozzles that have different shapes and spray volume.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I should have also mentioned I want to paint the inside of the case as well. Any particular tricks for that? I'm looking at "low pressure" spray paint (Montana brand) to avoid dripping. Or are there nozzles for this?

3 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

I should have also mentioned I want to paint the inside of the case as well. Any particular tricks for that? I'm looking at "low pressure" spray paint (Montana brand) to avoid dripping. Or are there nozzles for this?

Your going to want to take apart the case, this will ensure you can evenly paint all the panels and prevent over spray which can occur on interior case surfaces if being painted as a whole. Paint drips and runs are all due to end user application and layer thickness really as long as you have a good nozzle that applies a very even coat each time it won't cause any issue. 

By taking apart, do you mean literally deriveting and pulling the panels apart, or just taking the components out (as per common sense)?

If there are preferred nozzles for this activity, where would I acquire them?

48 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

By taking apart, do you mean literally deriveting and pulling the panels apart, or just taking the components out (as per common sense)?

If there are preferred nozzles for this activity, where would I acquire them?

Yes you will want to unbolt or de-rivet the panels for painting. The nozzles provided with the cans from reputable brands should be of good quality so there isn't a need to actively seek out or change them. 

On 5/3/2017 at 0:52 AM, AutonomousRedux said:

Thank you.

For bigger items I would invest in some kind of paint hangers or a way to hang the items.

- It goes without saying, But make sure you do it outside or a very well vent area. The fumes can add up very quickly.

- Just in case you don't read the can. Always spray a thin layer. It's better to have a few thin layers then one heavy layer. It also prevents paint from running.

- Have the can atlease 25mm away from the object you are spraying. I use quick spray method with my paint (Press & release). This way I can make sure nothing is running & paint layer I'm applying is not heavy.

- I always use a Primer before I start applying any kind of paint (MTN sells some with their MTN 94 line).

- I use MTN94 has a middle coat when I do paint modding. I use Cardinal Paint for the top coat (Since I like how it's textured).

- You can also use a finishing coat for the case to protect it from scratches & such.

Here is what it looks like when I get finished:

sz3yAaNl.jpg

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

I found this, and I think he does a great job for what I want for the case I have. Just swapping the air brush for rattle cans.

7 hours ago, AutonomousRedux said:

I found this, and I think he does a great job for what I want for the case I have. Just swapping the air brush for rattle cans.

DNA makes the best candy colors too. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)