PC Changed Drive Names from F: to E:

Thesdamos

SO i recently found a drive with a bunch of old photos, and decided to put it into my PC, and boot it up. I took out my normal gaming drive, and plugged this old one in. I booted up, and found i had booted to the wrong drive. Instead of booting from WindowsXP where my pictures where, i had just booted from SSD. I went back, booted correctly, and reveled in my old pictures. Then i swapped my gaming drive back in and that is when things went south. When i booted up again, Drive F: was now Drive E:. I found i couldn't open any games, or anything from that drive, despite the fact that Files showed the drive half full. I then tried my restore point, made 3 days prior hoping to fix it. no luck. I would prefer to not have to format the drive, as there is a lot besides games on there i need, like newer pictures. any help would be appreciated on how to make Drive F: or E:(take your pick on what it is now) usable again.

*Windows boot up is on separate Kingston SSD*

*Issues with 1TB WD Blue Hard Drive*

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus Z170-E

CPU:i7-6700k

GPU: Evga GTX 1070 Black Edition

RAM: GSKILL Aegis 16GB DDR4 288-pin

Power Supply: Evgasupernova 850 G2

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo

8 minutes ago, Thesdamos said:

SO i recently found a drive with a bunch of old photos, and decided to put it into my PC, and boot it up. I took out my normal gaming drive, and plugged this old one in. I booted up, and found i had booted to the wrong drive. Instead of booting from WindowsXP where my pictures where, i had just booted from SSD. I went back, booted correctly, and reveled in my old pictures. Then i swapped my gaming drive back in and that is when things went south. When i booted up again, Drive F: was now Drive E:. I found i couldn't open any games, or anything from that drive, despite the fact that Files showed the drive half full. I then tried my restore point, made 3 days prior hoping to fix it. no luck. I would prefer to not have to format the drive, as there is a lot besides games on there i need, like newer pictures. any help would be appreciated on how to make Drive F: or E:(take your pick on what it is now) usable again.

*Windows boot up is on separate Kingston SSD*

*Issues with 1TB WD Blue Hard Drive*

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus Z170-E

CPU:i7-6700k

GPU: Evga GTX 1070 Black Edition

RAM: GSKILL Aegis 16GB DDR4 288-pin

Power Supply: Evgasupernova 850 G2

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Change the drive letter back manually?

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

might help... maybe

(edit: skip to 2:32)

Edited by wii8cookies

linus sex tips

you can change the drive letter in Disk management. Also, you don't have to boot from the drive to access files from it. 

So, i found that by going into the laucher files themselves and starting the programs from there they worked, for all but Origin. Origin itself launched, but it says my games are not installed. The pathway to the games, however is correct. :/

If the drive letter you need is in use, first change that drive letter to something else that's available, then change the drive you need to the letter you need.

I myself anticipate running into a similar issue in the near future.  I've had several hard drives in & out of my PC, and at different times may have had 2 different drives with the same letter (not connected simultaneously) with programs installed on both.  Once Im done shuffling data around & pulling off old HDDs, I might end up with both (and other newer ones, currently 3x 4TB + 3x 5TB) connected simultaneously.

I might also plan to upgrade from a 256GB SATA 2.5" SSD to a 1TB M.2 SSD, then do a clean reinstall.  I'm waiting for prices to come down, or a sale on the Plextor M8Pe or Intel 600p first.  I wish the MyDigitalSSD BPX was available in 1TB.  Don't think I can RAID NVMe SSDs on my ASRock Z97 Extreme6, nor do I want to do so.