RX470 4GB Poor Performance

Hello!

So i managed to muster up enough spare change over the past 2 months and upgraded my video card based off some suggestions here and some research on the web. I went from a EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW card to an Asus Strix RX470 4GB. I got a really good deal on it from one of my vendors as they're trying to off load them since the release of the RX570. 

Issue i'm having now is, i'm getting lesser than expected performance and worse performance in some cases, than my 6 year old 670. Not in all cases however. 

Games i play are the following:

GTA5, Farming simulator 2017, Wow and Brawlhalla.

In GTA5 i'm seeing almost identical performance using the same settings as prior to the upgrade. (high, msaax2) Consistent 65 FPS for both cards.

In Farming simulator 2017, i'm seeing a 10-25% decrease in performance at the same settings as prior to the upgrade. 670: 60 FPS and the odd dip to 35-40. RX470: 34-55 FPS

In Wow, i'm seeing a slight improvement. 5-8FPS in highly populated area's. 670: 65-75 in orgrimmar. RX470: 70-73 in orgrimmar.

In Brawlhalla, No changes. Solid 60FPS. 

No sure why i'm seeing worsen performance in some games. On Paper the RX470 chews the aging 670.

I've tried 3 different driver versions including the 2016 version that windows 10 installs automatically. No noticeable difference between each versions. I've remove all old nvidia software that may hinder the AMD drivers. I'm kinda stumped.

Would this happen to be an optimization issue with the new RX Series cards? Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions or advice.

System spec:

AMD FX8350

970-UD3 Mobo

16GB Kingston Memory

Corsair H60 Cooler

Kingston UV400 240GB SSD.

I don't believe it's a CPU bottleneck as CPU usage never goes above 40% in any of the games. I'm also Playing at 2560x1080 resolution (ultrawide)

Just now, magnumkobra said:

It has to be your Cpu that is bottlenecking the card

That CPU is good for things like Plex, but not gaming.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix B550
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz 32GB (16x2)
  • GPU
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080TI
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD | WD Green 2TB HD | WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 850W
  • Display(s)
    Asus 1920x1080p 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Master Liquid 240
  • Keyboard
    Logitech Pro TKL
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Logitech G733
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I run my fx 8350 @ 5ghz as well as my ddr3 @ 2400mhz, and after upgrading from my Gtx 580 SLI config to my current R9 Fury, I can say that my average FPS is up pretty good but my minimums are EXACTLY the same. At the end of the day FX is slow, and bottlenecks really any remotely modern card in certain games. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Bottleneck in or drivers m8.  Did you Uninstal Nvidia drivers?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 hours ago, Damascus said:

Bottleneck in or drivers m8.  Did you Uninstal Nvidia drivers?

Yes sir.

I have another machine i'm going to try the card in this evening to see if it's a bottleneck on the CPU Side. It's technically a "server" But CPU power isn't an issue.

So, I tried the card in my "server" which has 2 X5670's (6 Core Xeons) and performance is a lot better. So, as suggested, I'm seeing a bottleneck from the 8350. Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'm upgrading cpu/ram. I have a MSI Z170 gaming 3 motherboard already. Was hoping to get a little more life out of the amd system. Anyone have a budget friendly cPU they want to recommend for the z170 platform?

5 minutes ago, Jayw1990 said:

So, I tried the card in my "server" which has 2 X5670's (6 Core Xeons) and performance is a lot better. So, as suggested, I'm seeing a bottleneck from the 8350. Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'm upgrading cpu/ram. I have a MSI Z170 gaming 3 motherboard already. Was hoping to get a little more life out of the amd system. Anyone have a budget friendly cPU they want to recommend for the z170 platform?

Well, you could get the 6600k idealy, because it is overclockable. But any i5 should be good, if your budget does not fit the 6600k.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

The 6400 is more of in my price range. I have an older X58 system with a E5540 xeon that seems to perform better than the 8350 setup.

1 hour ago, Jayw1990 said:

The 6400 is more of in my price range. I have an older X58 system with a E5540 xeon that seems to perform better than the 8350 setup.

If you can get a none k oc bios for your motherboard here

http://overclocking.guide/intel-skylake-non-k-overclocking-bios-list/

Then go for a 6400 and oc it to 4.4ghz+ but if you can't then you are better off getting a cpu with some higher clock speed, otherwise you are going to run I to the same issue as you have with the Fx8350 where the cpu is slow. Even though the Ipc is good on the 6400, the clock is very low. 

I would say check for a skylake xeon, as xeons are good value, but for skylake they use a different chipset :(

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016