does xfx have bad coolers

pixeldensity

Hi I heard that XFX have bad coolers, mainly the 78xx series of cards, or is it just a myth? What is your opinion of xfx in terms of gpus?

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

The cooler on the 7xxx cards is fine. Its not a jet engine, but its not an NF-F12. It also isn't the prettiest thing in the world. The coolers for the R9-2xxX however, look epic. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

So from what you guys are saying so far they are pretty good at cooling the pcb and disspating heat right?

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Double D cooler is notorious for being goddawful

(aside from them having locked cards, I'd avoid XFX GPU's)

Error: 410

Double D cooler is notorious for being goddawful

(aside from them having locked cards, I'd avoid XFX GPU's)

^ This, temps were pretty high compared to other coolers. Atleast when it came to the 7950.

So from what you guys are saying so far they are pretty good at cooling the pcb and disspating heat right?

Will it cool the card and keep in <75Celcius? Yes

Will it stay <40 dB? No

Will it look terrible? Yes

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I really like my XFX 7870 Double D 

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

XFX just makes crappy cards overall IMO.  Stick with Sapphire, Asus, or MSI if buying non-reference AMD cards...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

I like my XFX 7970, runs a bit hot but I liked their RMA service and are usually cheaper than many other non-reference cards.

They don't look like 'bad coolers' nor do they look great. I think they are ok coolers so to speak. Although I've never owned a XFX card and never plan on it.

Really? I find the chrome/black theme of DD cards quite sexy.....

My card never goes above 80C and with the fan on automatic it's never audiable. That said I wouldn't buy XFX again, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, they're the cards I'd go for.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

XFX seem like they have no idea what they're doing. They obviously put effort into their 7xxx series of coolers, one of the more gorgeous designs. But only looking at them from the front. From the top and sides there is still the signature AMD Horrendous Gap to See the Shitty PCB™ and in addition the cards themselves were crap with a lot of coil whine and the highest RMA rate among AMD cards (which means, highest RMA rate of ALL graphics cards manufacturers on the planet)

Then there is their new line of coolers for the Rx 2xx series, which looks like they've forgotten completely how to brain. They seem to want to be the EVGA of AMD, but while their shrouds are now acceptable, they are using slim fans??? Come on.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Ok, what I meant was the performance of the coolers. They do look nice I'll agree with you there. Although for me its about performance, that's the reason why I bought my two 7970 MSi Lightning Editions and they cool extremely well. Also, I think MSi's Twin Frozr IV looks better than most cards out there besides the new Tri-Frozr that looks sick too.

Eh, mine OC to 1070 runs at like 78 degrees under load. Not THAT bad......

XFX seem like they have no idea what they're doing. They obviously put effort into their 7xxx series of coolers, one of the more gorgeous designs. But only looking at them from the front. From the top and sides there is still the signature AMD Horrendous Gap to See the Shitty PCB™ and in addition the cards themselves were crap with a lot of coil whine and the highest RMA rate among AMD cards (which means, highest RMA rate of ALL graphics cards manufacturers on the planet)

Then there is their new line of coolers for the Rx 2xx series, which looks like they've forgotten completely how to brain. They seem to want to be the EVGA of AMD, but while their shrouds are now acceptable, they are using slim fans??? Come on.

Yeah, they make up for that by having great RMA service :D

My xfx card got an arctic accelero put on it I could not stand that loud fan and it was getting pretty hot probably not to hot to worry but with all the rma's I seen in the reviews I though try to help my self now and avoid it getting too hot the arctic accelero is really quiet and cools twice as good as xfx design did.

The 7000 series of coolers are pretty bad but the R9 series of graphics cards coolers from XFX aren't bad: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/20

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer