Here's a unique one. Custom case building

Doing this from my iPad so bear with me. 

Ive currently got a full "open air" build. (Read: no case. Sitting on the mobo box.)

only because I'm not content buying a case everyone else has. I want to build my own case. I don't have my sketch readily available but it is going to be a 15"x15"x15" cube. I have a trademark logo and it's going to be built to resemble the logo. 

Im trying to source materials as well as get advice for what material to use. 

Id love input as to what companies to get in touch with as well as opinions for metals,paint vs wraps, types of clear window materials. There's no budget in mind yet, but I'm looking st the cost to quality ratio for sure. 

Thanks for your inputs everyone! Also, 1st post

Custom case building isn't really that unique. Go to the "Modding" section in this forum and you will find SO many people doing it.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Notes on my rig

Gigabyte fm3+ mono

8gb HyperX ddr3 1600mhz ram

amd a6 cpu

i forget which graphics card ATM lol it's an asus 2gb gddr5 oc model

win10 home

5 minutes ago, JDE said:

Custom case building isn't really that unique. Go to the "Modding" section in this forum and you will find SO many people doing it.

I suppose I should look more before posting lol. Got excited, my bad

If you want good value, I'd honestly just buy a case. Economies of scale do wonders for efficiency. I'm not trying to discourage you from building your own case, but its no gonna be cost effective unless you highly value modding/personalization. I've done some mods with 3 and 4 mm thick aluminium and tempered glass. I ended up paying 40 bucks for a custom made side panel, not to mention the time and energy I put into it.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

Just now, dany_boy said:

If you want good value, I'd honestly just buy a case. Economies of scale do wonders for efficiency. I'm not trying to discourage you from building your own case, but its no gonna be cost effective unless you highly value modding/personalization. I've done some mods with 3 and 4 mm thick aluminium and tempered glass. I ended up paying 40 bucks for a custom made side panel, not to mention the time and energy I put into it.

I have grown up customizing everything I can, and I'd feel it's a waste of money to go buy a case. I'm not looking for "cheap" but good value

23 minutes ago, PlatinumStorm said:

Doing this from my iPad so bear with me. 

Ive currently got a full "open air" build. (Read: no case. Sitting on the mobo box.)

only because I'm not content buying a case everyone else has. I want to build my own case. I don't have my sketch readily available but it is going to be a 15"x15"x15" cube. I have a trademark logo and it's going to be built to resemble the logo. 

Im trying to source materials as well as get advice for what material to use. 

Id love input as to what companies to get in touch with as well as opinions for metals,paint vs wraps, types of clear window materials. There's no budget in mind yet, but I'm looking st the cost to quality ratio for sure. 

Thanks for your inputs everyone! Also, 1st post

Depends really what you have in mind cause you can design and build it anyway you like. I would suggest to get either a motherboard tray with IO panel or to cannibalize it from an old case as it is much easier than making that yourself.

-Moved to Modding Section- 

16 minutes ago, PlatinumStorm said:

I have grown up customizing everything I can, and I'd feel it's a waste of money to go buy a case. I'm not looking for "cheap" but good value

Again, if you want to do it, go ahead, I personally love it, but the value proposition is just better if you buy it.

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Oh and BTW you might want to take a look at protocase: http://www.protocase.com

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Depends really what you have in mind cause you can design and build it anyway you like. I would suggest to get either a motherboard tray with IO panel or to cannibalize it from an old case as it is much easier than making that yourself.

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Well, it's definitely going to be primarily some kind of metal (aluminum for the light-weightness) but not sure about thermals. I plan on cannibalizing a few spare cases i have for some random parts, motherboard tray included. I'm mostly seeking advices from other modders about sites to buy from that they've used, aluminum vs steels, thicknesses, etc.

Sketch i've made, with dimensions, and a cardboard visual build, so i could get an idea of the size of the project (with pikachu for reference, of course lol)

20170430_172737.jpg

20170430_172808.jpg

7 minutes ago, PlatinumStorm said:

Well, it's definitely going to be primarily some kind of metal (aluminum for the light-weightness) but not sure about thermals. I plan on cannibalizing a few spare cases i have for some random parts, motherboard tray included. I'm mostly seeking advices from other modders about sites to buy from that they've used, aluminum vs steels, thicknesses, etc.

It depends on what tools you have available aluminum would be easier to work with for cutting and shaping/bending. It really depends on the design on how your going to have to assemble and piece everything together.

7 minutes ago, PlatinumStorm said:

I prefer to work with aluminium, its lighter, looks better (IMO), is softer (easier to machine/bend/drill/etc) and doesn't oxidise. However it can be more expensive and thicker

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Good luck with your build, @PlatinumStorm - sounds like you have a pretty solid vision in mind! Not sure if you're familiar with what we offer, but feel free to check out our website. This profile of one of our customers, Lukas Dyjakon, and the custom PC case he built, gives a nice picture of what we do. Happy designing!

12 hours ago, Protocase said:

Good luck with your build, @PlatinumStorm - sounds like you have a pretty solid vision in mind! Not sure if you're familiar with what we offer, but feel free to check out our website. This profile of one of our customers, Lukas Dyjakon, and the custom PC case he built, gives a nice picture of what we do. Happy designing!

Yup I'm working with one of the ladies there now. We're getting my case designed by the team and looking forward to seeing this thing come to life. I doubt anyone's designed something like what I'm doing. Lol

12 hours ago, PlatinumStorm said:

Yup I'm working with one of the ladies there now. We're getting my case designed by the team and looking forward to seeing this thing come to life. I doubt anyone's designed something like what I'm doing. Lol

Awesome - very excited to see your build once it's complete! Keep us posted :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 8:50 AM, PlatinumStorm said:

Curious, what is the ballpark for using their Design Service? <$1000 USD? I'm also considering a custom case and whether or not to hire out for design and drafting.

Also excited to see how your case turns out!