Freezes and crashes with ryzen 5 and gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 motherboard

Yodabite

So I just built my friend a new PC using the new ryzen 5 CPU and AB350 motherboard from Gigabyte and everytime I try to do something like install software, games or update something the computer will freeze up. Sometimes if I don't do anything for a while the computer with blue screen just out of no where. I've done everything. I've updated the bios, tried updating other software but usually can't because it freezes before it finishes. Even tried reseating the CPU and RAM. Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

PC specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM

120GB SanDisk SSD

1TB WD Blue

RX 580

EVGA Supernova 650 80+ gold 

whats the blue screen error codes ?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

clock_watchdog_timeout its a CPU related issue from what I read.

Did you OC your cpu or gpu too much 

Desktop A10-7800, 12GB DDR3 1666MHz, R7 Radeon 1GB iGPU, 2TB HDD, Xonar DSX 7.1 Sound Card, Benq GL2450H 60Hz, Sony MDR-XB950

Nope. Didn't even touch anything yet. Wasn't even able to get games installed yet.

10 minutes ago, Yodabite said:

PC specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM

120GB SanDisk SSD

1TB WD Blue

RX 580

EVGA Supernova 650 80+ gold 

CPU clock speed?

RAM speed?

PSU model?

Please give us detailed info.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Check cpu and gpu stability 

Desktop A10-7800, 12GB DDR3 1666MHz, R7 Radeon 1GB iGPU, 2TB HDD, Xonar DSX 7.1 Sound Card, Benq GL2450H 60Hz, Sony MDR-XB950

RAM Frequency?

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

All clock speeds are still at stock. CPU is at 3.2GHz. Memory is at 2133 because I haven't set the XMP profile yet.

I feel like it's the memory. I think that it's not supported for ryzen but I've seen people use all different types of RAM with ryzen.

4 minutes ago, Yodabite said:

I feel like it's the memory. I think that it's not supported for ryzen but I've seen people use all different types of RAM with ryzen.

Try one stick at a time. Also, please quote us so we know you've replied. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

19 minutes ago, Yodabite said:

Did you install an older build of Windows 10 off a disc by any chance?

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have almost exactly the same issue. In my case it's a Gigabyte AB350M D3H mobo (minor differences from the Gaming 3) at BIOS rev F2, which was released on the same date than Gaming 3's F4. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600X and I have the same RAM, or very similar (Corsair Vengance LPX 2x8 GB, 3000MHz) and even the same SSD. I sometimes get the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and sometimes it just hangs. I have reseated both CPU and RAM, and also tried different RAM sockets (at first I was using 3&4 by mistake). In addition, I have tried using each stick by itself.

All to no avail. Linux also hangs.

Did you figure something out, @Yodabite?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 3:15 PM, hmnmnhm said:

I seem to have almost exactly the same issue. In my case it's a Gigabyte AB350M D3H mobo (minor differences from the Gaming 3) at BIOS rev F2, which was released on the same date than Gaming 3's F4. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600X and I have the same RAM, or very similar (Corsair Vengance LPX 2x8 GB, 3000MHz) and even the same SSD. I sometimes get the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and sometimes it just hangs. I have reseated both CPU and RAM, and also tried different RAM sockets (at first I was using 3&4 by mistake). In addition, I have tried using each stick by itself.

All to no avail. Linux also hangs.

Did you figure something out, @Yodabite?

Joined this group to see if there is a fix or have found a fix, O have almos t the same setup Gigabyte AB350M D3H mobo w Ryzen 5 1600X, and kingston ram 2666, and get the same CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. What is the problem??

• 1 month later...

I just built a Ryzen system with the following specs:

New Parts>>>

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2x4 3000MHz (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15R)

MOBO: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 (Updated BIOS to F7)

Old Parts>>>

1 Intel 520 SSD 120GB

1 AMD R3 SSD 120GB

1 WD Green 500GB HDD

1 WD Blue 1TB HDD

GPU: MSI R9 380 4G GAMING 

COOLING: Corsair H80i
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W

I have encountered the freezing problem when I foolishly installed an older build of W10. I couldn't update it and I resorted to getting a March 2017(Creators Update) updated image which worked flawlessly.

I have had my share of issues anyway. Memory is running 2133MHz. XMP is not working, but I kinda acknowledged that XMP is still flimsy.

I touched(well I don't think puting 40 is barely touching :D ) the CPU multiplier and it refused to boot. I had to clear CMOS. It seems that BIOSes are still early and flimsy so I won't touch them for the time being.

I have one issue that's getting on my nerves though.

I have the system in an NZXT H440 NE case. I have 3 140mm fans and 2 120mm fans connected to the integrated fan controller.

I have hooked the PWM cable from the controller to the SYS_FAN1 port...but I can't...for the love of god set it. It says 0RPM(which is fine, since there are multiple fans connected)...applying any fan curve from BIOS is having no effect. PWM somehow works. During the first seconds of boot the fans are at minimum...so there shouldn't be an issue.

After a while though, they go to 100%. Now..it's bearable. They're Cougar fans so even at 100% the only noise coming is the air moving. Fans themselves are very quiet.

But this Ryzen chip is so efficent...and cooling is so overkill that I want to make it dead silent.(as I was previously doing to my FX 8350).

Speedfan is not updated for the motherboard and the BIOS SmartFan is pretty poor for my setup, although I have heard that it works flawlessly when connecting multiple fans to multiple ports.

Any idea how to control those fans? Any piece of advice(and software) would be great.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

• 1 year later...

Try installing this build of windows  v.1709 build 1629 or any latest install it helps with the freezing.

p.S I know this thread is old.