Headset or Headphone+Desktop Mic?

Takeo
Go to solution Solved by Mooshi,
5 minutes ago, Takeo said:

Thanks. The bass adjustment looks interesting. I've read though, that the headphone is a little bit weak on the mid tones. For gaming and music it might not be that bad, but what about speech/dialogue in movies? Clear or muffled, what's your take on this?

Well, I don't watch many movies with them, but they sound fine to me whenever I do. These shine more on the low-end, but Lindsey Stirling is still enjoyable.

There is a digital equalizer I have installed for that extra tweaking.

Hey guys,

I just built myself a new rig including a cherryMX Red Keyboard and had a first look at the audio scene in order to buy a decent sound system.

Main activies are:

movies, gaming (single- and multiplayer with voicechat).

Budget:

(A) ~150 €/ ~$160 for a headset OR

(B) ~200€/ ~$210 for a heaphone + desktop mic

This is how far I've come:

1. DAC: I have an Asus ROG IX Hero which has a shieled SupremeFX 8 integrated.
    This is my OnBoard DAC I assume. I don't need an external one. This one has clear soundas far as I can tell.
  2. AMP: Depending on the headset/headphone. Though I don't think I'll need one.
  3. MIC: Headsets generally have an integrated mic. However, even the best headset mics sound like the announcement on a plane (i.e. bad quality compared to the desktop microphones). Desktop microphones definitely have better audio quality.
  4. Audio: Headphones tend to have a better audio quality but lack features like surround sound for immersion and audio controls.

The "no compromises option" seems to be the following:

Headphone for good audio, Desktop mic for good input (optionally an AMP for controls in the future. e.g. sennheiser gsx s1000)

What are your thoughts on this? A or B? Or something entirely different? What products would you recommend?

7 minutes ago, Takeo said:

Hey guys,

I just built myself a new rig including a cherryMX Red Keyboard and had a first look at the audio scene in order to buy a decent sound system.

Main activies are:

movies, gaming (single- and multiplayer with voicechat).

Budget:

(A) ~150 €/ ~$160 for a headset OR

(B) ~200€/ ~$210 for a heaphone + desktop mic

This is how far I've come:

1. DAC: I have an Asus ROG IX Hero which has a shieled SupremeFX 8 integrated.
    This is my OnBoard DAC I assume. I don't need an external one. This one has clear soundas far as I can tell.
  2. AMP: Depending on the headset/headphone. Though I don't think I'll need one.
  3. MIC: Headsets generally have an integrated mic. However, even the best headset mics sound like the announcement on a plane (i.e. bad quality compared to the desktop microphones). Desktop microphones definitely have better audio quality.
  4. Audio: Headphones tend to have a better audio quality but lack features like surround sound for immersion and audio controls.

The "no compromises option" seems to be the following:

Headphone for good audio, Desktop mic for good input (optionally an AMP for controls in the future. e.g. sennheiser gsx s1000)

What are your thoughts on this? A or B? Or something entirely different? What products would you recommend?

Have you considered something like these for a mic https://antlionaudio.com/collections/modmic. I have one and it works like a dream and pretty good sound for the price.

This would give you the ability to get any headphones and not have some ugly mic on your desk 24/7 or spending more on a arm mount

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Modmic is dank. Neat concept, but the extra wiremess isn't worth it. Grab a vmoda boom mic and headphones with a detachable cable that isn't proprietary.

41 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

Have you considered something like these for a mic https://antlionaudio.com/collections/modmic. I have one and it works like a dream and pretty good sound for the price.

This would give you the ability to get any headphones and not have some ugly mic on your desk 24/7 or spending more on a arm mount

Yes, I saw that one. However, the additional cable (even with the sleeve) is a no go for me. I am a fan of wired head gear. But it should be minimal in size ;)

25 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Modmic is dank. Neat concept, but the extra wiremess isn't worth it. Grab a vmoda boom mic and headphones with a detachable cable that isn't proprietary.

I didn't kow the vmoda boom mic existed and after looking at a few reviews including sound tests I must say I'm impressed. Any suggestions on the headphones themselves?

6 minutes ago, Takeo said:

I didn't kow the vmoda boom mic existed and after looking at a few reviews including sound tests I must say I'm impressed. Any suggestions on the headphones themselves?

I use Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's myself

13 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I use Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's myself

Thanks. The bass adjustment looks interesting. I've read though, that the headphone is a little bit weak on the mid tones. For gaming and music it might not be that bad, but what about speech/dialogue in movies? Clear or muffled, what's your take on this?

5 minutes ago, Takeo said:

Well, I don't watch many movies with them, but they sound fine to me whenever I do. These shine more on the low-end, but Lindsey Stirling is still enjoyable.

There is a digital equalizer I have installed for that extra tweaking.

I just prefer desk mic over mod mic any day of the week. It just sounds better in the first place

1 hour ago, xtroria said:

I just prefer desk mic over mod mic any day of the week. It just sounds better in the first place

And costs about $150 more. I guess it depends on your budget and/or how much flexbility you have.

18 minutes ago, Takeo said:

And costs about $150 more. I guess it depends on your budget and/or how much flexbility you have.

Blue snowball ice is cheap