Replace Wifi Card with SSD?

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and computers so I don't know how things work around here... However, I still wanted to ask a question here: I have a relatively new skylake laptop by acer which has a 256 GB SATA m.2 SSD installed. It also has a wifi module that connects using an mPCIE slot as far as I know. Would it be possibile to replace the wifi card with an SSD (PCIE or SATA, don't mind which), if necessary using an adapter or similar? I am planning to upgrade my storage capacity to around 500 GB. If I can't replace my wifi card I will resort to just replacing my current SSD with a larger SATA SSD.

Thanks a lot for anything that you can contribute!

J

8 minutes ago, GermanSausage said:

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and computers so I don't know how things work around here... However, I still wanted to ask a question here: I have a relatively new skylake laptop by acer which has a 256 GB SATA m.2 SSD installed. It also has a wifi module that connects using an mPCIE slot as far as I know. Would it be possibile to replace the wifi card with an SSD (PCIE or SATA, don't mind which), if necessary using an adapter or similar? I am planning to upgrade my storage capacity to around 500 GB. If I can't replace my wifi card I will resort to just replacing my current SSD with a larger SATA SSD.

J

why would you want to get rid of your wifi chip? what if you go to a place you need internet, and they dont have ethernet? also, i dont think that it would work. i would just get a new m.2 for your laptop since ive heard nothing of the sorts of wifi ship changes. not sure m.2 is made that small since the nic's are usually pretty small nowdays on laptops

4 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

why would you want to get rid of your wifi chip? what if you go to a place you need internet, and they dont have ethernet? also, i dont think that it would work. i would just get a new m.2 for your laptop since ive heard nothing of the sorts of wifi ship changes. not sure m.2 is made that small since the nic's are usually pretty small nowdays on laptops

I was just going to use a USB dongle to replace my wifi card. So you think that any SSD that I would connect wouldn't be recognized?

Thanks for your reply :)

If the Wi-Fi adapter is using M.2, then it's likely not keyed for SSD use (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying, it likely has an E key, which is not compatible with any M.2 SSD).

If it uses mini-PCIe, then your only option is probably https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9Y13N49614&cm_re=mini_pcie_ssd-_-9SIA9Y13N49614-_-Product since most mini-PCIe Wi-Fi cards are of that size and SSDs of that size are incredibly rare.

2 minutes ago, GermanSausage said:

I was just going to use a USB dongle to replace my wifi card. So you think that any SSD that I would connect wouldn't be recognized?

Thanks for your reply :)

Just get a USB SSD like this one from Samsung

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147512&cm_re=samsung_ssd_usb-_-20-147-512-_-Product

It'll be a lot simpler than replacing a Wi-Fi card, which I'm not sure that you can do.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If the Wi-Fi adapter is using M.2, then it's likely not keyed for SSD use (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying, it likely has an E key, which is not compatible with any M.2 SSD).

If it uses mini-PCIe, then your only option is probably https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9Y13N49614&cm_re=mini_pcie_ssd-_-9SIA9Y13N49614-_-Product since most mini-PCIe Wi-Fi cards are of that size and SSDs of that size are incredibly rare.

https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-M5E250BW-interne-250GB-mSATA/dp/B00TGIVTP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493411107&sr=8-1&keywords=msata

Would this SSD work with an mPCIE slot as well (this one is available in germany)

Thanks for all the replies!

Your help is much appreciated

2 minutes ago, GermanSausage said:

That uses mSATA and is likely not going to physically fit even if it was mini-PCIe.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

That uses mSATA and is likely not going to physically fit even if it was mini-PCIe.

I was half expecting that. :(

Thanks for your help though.

I guess the best solution is to just buy a new, bigger SSD.

Have a great day everyone!

J

13 hours ago, GermanSausage said:

Hello Everyone!

J

It wont work. Its the wrong connector and pin-out. Ive tried it, it wont work with M.2 cards... Heck, my M.2 SSD didnt even show up in device manager