what GPU for a EGPU

Jastin Ng
Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,
Just now, Jastin Ng said:

no dude, that card is too power hungry.. my exist power supply cannot handle that

ya.. but i dont understand about raw compute power on gpu .. hahaha

the rx 480 has a raw compute power of 5.8 and the gtx 1070 has a raw compute power of 6.5. now vega is supposed to have a raw compute power of 12 teraflops. this mean that amd is much better for bitcoin mining when it cones to how much raw compute power you get per dollar. 

Currently i using nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Oc, should i change my VGA to rx 580 with 8GB VRAM.. i using EXP GDC V8.4 Beast.. i use my gpu to mine bitcoin when i idling..
does it worth?
sorry for my bad english..
my system
i7-4710HQ 2.5 GHZ
RAM 12GB
SSD 128GB + HDD 1TB

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Jastin Ng said:

Currently i using nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Oc, should i change my VGA to rx 580 with 8GB VRAM.. i using EXP GDC V8.4 Beast.. i use my gpu to mine bitcoin when i idling..
does it worth?
sorry for my bad english..
my system
i7-4710HQ 2.5 GHZ
RAM 12GB
SSD 128GB + HDD 1TB

Not a big enough upgrade to warrant spending the money on a 580 tbh. Save up and get a 1070 or something. Or look up what cards are best for bitcoin mining, cause I have no clue. Or you could get an ASIC device

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

tbh bitcoin mining isn't worth the electricity spent. that being said the rx 580 would be much better because it has a lot more teraflops meaning it has more raw power which is good for bitcoin mining. that's why the r9 290 and such were used for mining. they have really good raw compute power. 

Bitcoin mining is only worth if electricity is free or you use ASIC miners. Other than that, the upgrade is not worth it.

40 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Not a big enough upgrade to warrant spending the money on a 580 tbh. Save up and get a 1070 or something. Or look up what cards are best for bitcoin mining, cause I have no clue. Or you could get an ASIC device

i c.. so it is not worth it.. i mining equihash so its gpu oriented..

22 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

tbh bitcoin mining isn't worth the electricity spent. that being said the rx 580 would be much better because it has a lot more teraflops meaning it has more raw power which is good for bitcoin mining. that's why the r9 290 and such were used for mining. they have really good raw compute power. 

i mining equihash so it have profitability than SHA-256.. i want to choose r9 290 but it is too power hungry.. lol

19 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

The question I have is how you have that CPU in a desktop

i using EXP GDC V8.4 Beast.. it convert pcie 3.0 x16 to mPCIe.. so i can use Desktop GPU

21 minutes ago, killer5247 said:

save for a 1070 and if you wanna still upgrade get a 1060 6gb strix

yeah.. i think i  going to upgrade to 1070 if i want to upgrade.. btw strix edition card price is too expensive if compare too other card..

16 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Bitcoin mining is only worth if electricity is free or you use ASIC miners. Other than that, the upgrade is not worth it.

i mine equihash algorithm so it still have profitability than sha-256.. thats why i want to consider upgrading my card..

1 minute ago, Jastin Ng said:

yeah.. i think i  going to upgrade to 1070 if i want to upgrade.. btw strix edition card price is too expensive if compare too other card..

but its better than other cards you can squeeze the performance out of it

My personal Build as i am a cool tech enthusiast B|

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheSneakyRM/saved/

i mining equihash so it have profitability than SHA-256.. i want to choose r9 290 but it is too power hungry.. lol

i using EXP GDC V8.4 Beast.. it convert pcie 3.0 x16 to mPCIe.. so i can use Desktop GPU

i mine equihash algorithm so it still have profitability than sha-256.. thats why i want to consider upgrading my card..

generally speaking amd is better for bitcoin mining than nvidia. i would probably wait for vega if you are looking at upgrading to a gtx 1070 as vega should be much better for bitcoin mining. 

2 minutes ago, Jastin Ng said:

I'd still consider getting an ASIC miner. The cheapest is about ~$500 and that's about the price of a 1080

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, Jastin Ng said:

The 580 is probably better for mining than the 1070

it is probably best to get a used 290 on eBay for like 80$ and call it a day

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

I'd still consider getting an ASIC miner. The cheapest is about ~$500 and that's about the price of a 1080

well yeah, that would be best for mining but if you are choosing between nvidia and amd there really is no contest. amd gives you more raw compute power for your dollar which is why you should be able to get better results with a amd equivalent. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

well yeah, that would be best for mining but if you are choosing between nvidia and amd there really is no contest. amd gives you more raw compute power for your dollar which is why you should be able to get better results with a amd equivalent. 

but nvidea is having better OC capabillities 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

True

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, killer5247 said:

but nvidea is having better OC capabillities 

an overclocked amd card is till way more powerful in terms of raw compute power. i would even argue that overclocking on amd gives more raw power increase than nvidia because the way amd architecture is setup. they have the equivalent of more slower cores compared to nvidias less cores at higher frequencies. this means that if you overclock the same amount on each card you will get the more with the amd card. 

6 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

The 580 is probably better for mining than the 1070

it is probably best to get a used 290 on eBay for like 80$ and call it a day

no dude, that card is too power hungry.. my exist power supply cannot handle that

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Essentially the card with the higher raw computer power is better for mining. You can measure this with tflops/gflops

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

an overclocked amd card is till way more powerful in terms of raw compute power. i would even argue that overclocking on amd gives more raw power increase than nvidia because the way amd architecture is setup. they have the equivalent of more slower cores compared to nvidias less cores at higher frequencies. this means that if you overclock the same amount on each card you will get the more with the amd card. 

but what abt temps we dont want the pc case to melt

the rx 480 has a raw compute power of 5.8 and the gtx 1070 has a raw compute power of 6.5. now vega is supposed to have a raw compute power of 12 teraflops. this mean that amd is much better for bitcoin mining when it cones to how much raw compute power you get per dollar. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

but its not yet realeased 

but what abt temps we dont want the pc case to melt

nice meme lol. you are probably think about older amd cards. their newer cards aren't that bad. you seem like you are pushing for them to get a nvidia card pretty hard without any real justification. 

but its not yet realeased 

yes but it was announced it is releasing this quarter so it would be worth the wait.