The Acer Predator X27 has almost every feature you might ever want in a monitor

EunSoo
1 minute ago, Notional said:

But how is any of this relevant to the discussion of a monitor? Even IF you buy a 144hz monitor, and your GPU (either brand) cannot max it out in most games, the monitor will at least never be the limiting factor, as well as you can utilize it on the desktop (dat smooth scrolling). NVidia having a better card on the market is irrelevant to one being available for AMD users (freesync). However, I still think you ignore the fact that people buy monitors long term. Do you honestly think AMD won't have a GPU capable of 4k >60hz in the next couple of years? Not even Navi, that comes in 2018?

As for Volta, it seems like a panic reaction by NVidia. Whatever happened to HBM2 and 12nm node? Volta will have neither.

Panic from what? If anything Nvidia accelerates cause they now they can probably jack up the prices and that's their motivation: Why not take advantage of the holiday season with an 800 bucks brand new 2080 that will be 15 or 20% ahead of the 1080ti? 

You are arguing for Freesync on a market that AMD is trailing on by not an insignificant margin at this point. I just explained why it makes no sense as a company to even bother to come up with a Freesync variant. You disagree yet sales numbers and market share do not disagree with my points.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Panic from what? If anything Nvidia accelerates cause they now they can probably jack up the prices and that's their motivation: Why not take advantage of the holiday season with an 800 bucks brand new 2080 that will be 15 or 20% ahead of the 1080ti? 

You are arguing for Freesync on a market that AMD is trailing on by not an insignificant margin at this point. I just explained why it makes no sense as a company to even bother to come up with a Freesync variant. You disagree yet sales numbers and market share do not disagree with my points.

We can definitely agree that NVidia are masters at price gouging the hell out of the high end market. Then again, people seem to like paying extreme pricing, so whatever. Point is that they won't be able to sell an 800$ card, if it's 10-20% faster than say a 400-500$ Vega. Do remember that there is a huge high end bias on tech forums. For us, a 1080ti or a titan is not unusual, and 1070 sometimes even looks like the norm. However, all these cards are high end cards, and bare very little influence in the gaming market as a whole. Just look how much market share AMD recouped with the 480.

Fury X is almost 2 years old now and had an inefficient architecture. If people can afford a 2000$ monitor, they can probably afford a new GPU as well. If AMD can recoup that much market chare with a 480, what do you think they can with a card easily beating the 1070 and (depending on the model) compete with a 1080 to 1080ti? Especially if the price is right. Obviously, we are now just speculating.

However, you might want to think about the fact, that not all vendors out there wants to pay the gsync tax, NVidia puts on them. LG in particular, makes monitors that either doesn't have any variable refresh, or just add freesync for the heck of it. Many people with NVidia cards, use those monitors too you know.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

or just add freesync for the heck of it

And that is the real key to it, Freesync right now using current generation components is basically a zero cost extra to implement. To add to that every gsync monitor could also have Freesync support if they were allowed to, just have two DP inputs one of which goes to the gsync chip.

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And that is the real key to it, Freesync right now using current generation components is basically a zero cost extra to implement. To add to that every gsync monitor could also have Freesync support if they were allowed to, just have two DP inputs one of which goes to the gsync chip.

The problem with that is twofold though:

1. Older gsync monitors only have Displayport 1.2, which does not support freesync (adaptive sync). This includes all NVidia GPU's sans Pascal.
  2. That would require an additional monitor controller (scaler). With the massive price increase of the gsync module alone, that simply makes no sense.

That being said, I doubt it would require a whole lot to make the gsync module support Adaptive Sync as part of DP 1.2a or above. Or for Nvidia to outright support adaptive sync altogether. But alas, NVidia is hell bent on proprietary vendor locked in price gouged technology. And sadly the less wise consumer is more than happy to support this expensive and anti-consumerist behaviour.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, Notional said:

The problem with that is twofold though:

1. Older gsync monitors only have Displayport 1.2, which does not support freesync (adaptive sync). This includes all NVidia GPU's sans Pascal.
  2. That would require an additional monitor controller (scaler). With the massive price increase of the gsync module alone, that simply makes no sense.

That being said, I doubt it would require a whole lot to make the gsync module support Adaptive Sync as part of DP 1.2a or above. Or for Nvidia to outright support adaptive sync altogether. But alas, NVidia is hell bent on proprietary vendor locked in price gouged technology. And sadly the less wise consumer is more than happy to support this expensive and anti-consumerist behaviour.

Nvidia won't update gsync hardware to support that, not while they still support their own standard. Point one doesn't really count, we are talking about new monitors not older ones Pre Adaptive Sync becoming a standard.

I also highly doubt there would be much of a cost increase to do both over just gsync alone, when your selling monitors around the $2k mark supporting both is absolutely an option if there isn't licensing conditions preventing it (don't know if there is but I'd bet there are, from Nvidia).

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Nvidia won't update gsync hardware to support that, not while they still support their own standard. Point one doesn't really count, we are talking about new monitors not older ones Pre Adaptive Sync becoming a standard.

I also highly doubt there would be much of a cost increase to do both over just gsync alone, when your selling monitors around the $2k mark supporting both is absolutely an option if there isn't licensing conditions preventing it (don't know if there is but I'd bet there are, from Nvidia).

Agreed. NVidia has outright spoken, they refuse to support adaptive sync in any way. Sadly the consumer supports this decision.

A monitor controller is quite expensive though. At least if it has to be able to handle 4K, hdr/10bit and 144hz. I think the insane price is reflected by the new panel itself (no real competition for it), as well as a completely newly developed gsync module. When more panel vendors release a similar panel, as well as it being adaptive sync, the price should be half to 1500$. That is still a bit rich, when you compare to a god damn HDR tv (rant).

On Thu Apr 27 2017 at 7:05 PM, SCGazelle said:

...it might be easier to list what it doesn't have instead of what specs it does have...

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3192843/displays/acers-predator-x27-g-sync-hdr-monitor-is-infused-with-every-feature-you-could-ask-for.html

IMG_4253.JPG.19215e13d6d5b690362953ba9d4debe6.JPG

Acer has just officially announced the Predator x27 after teasing it last CES. Lets go straight into what its specs:

• 4k (3840x2160p)
  • 144hz
  • 27"
  • 1000 nit
  • HDR
  • 99% Adobe RGB
  • G-Sync
  • Nvidia's ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur)
  • Quantom Dot
  • Tobii eye-tracking

While all of those features together stand out and make this an extrordinary monitor, what really stands out is that 1000 nit brightness. While the highest nit for monitors has been 400, this monitor is able to achieve 1000 nit with its 384 backlights. 

This monitor is literally insane. The only thing I can think that would make it better would to be an ultrawide and be an OLED, but its still the first of its kind in many aspects. But I can only imagine how much this baby will cost.

It doesnt have FreeSync lol

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

Do we know how much this badboy will cost?

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Just now, Valermos said:

Do we know how much this badboy will cost?

There was a recent on-stage interview with an Asus rep, and he said their version of this LCD (same panel, etc) will be US$2000.  So you can imagine the Acer will be similarly priced.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |