3.5mm or usb 7.1headset for gaming?

Kogumaru

Hi again and sorry for my terrible english.

I know, I know this is an old question but im new with desktop pc ( I play years with gaming laptops), so I read on a lot of forums about the 3.5mm audio headsets and the usb 5.1 or 7.1 headsets, some people say with a good audio card the 3.5mm its better and other says the USB are more powefull.

My MOBO have an good audio card ( ASUS MAXIMUS IMPACT VII https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT/ ) or so it says on the website. So can this sound card can defeat a good 7.1 headset?

First of all, you have 2 ears so you need 2 speakers. The 7.1 surround stuff is BS.

Anyway, the rest depends on your budget. You can easily get a decent pair of headphones for 150-200 bucks that can be powered by the on-board audio.

However if you want to improve your audio experience even further get a dedicated AMP/DAC. Schiit has good stuff (yes that's spelled correctly)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

those "5.1" and "7.1" are pure BS, they are either using software to give you virtual surround sound or they have a lot of crappy drivers that are WAY too close to your head to give surround sound.

I have yet to find a USB headset where the soundcard is good or even decent. Get a pair of headphones that are normal 3.5mm and add a mic if you need one.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

if i was you i would get some proper headphones, believe me when i say this, the difference is extreme, my £90 audio technica ad700x absolutely smoked every headset i ever owned, and i dropped £200 on my astro a40s.

the only headsets i would buy is the sennheiser g4me one and hyperx cloud.

Surround sound headphones are practically snake oil at best. The "proper" way to do surround sound with headphones is to use HRTF, but the only company that really pushed this this was bought out in the late 90s and the purchaser pushed their crappy environmental audio effects. I mean, this was available in the mid 90s:

Everything else now won't have the quality or butchers the sound so much it's awful. So yeah, get a pair of quality 3.5mm stereo headphones and use a lapel mic for voice input.

A good soundcard can make way more of a difference than 3.5mm vs USB surround headsets. Since you have a pretty good sound card I'd just get a decent 3.5mm one and you're good to go.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

The HyperX Stinger are a good 3.55mm headset?

12 hours ago, Kogumaru said:

The HyperX Stinger are a good 3.55mm headset?

Okay, sounds veiled and kinda reserved imo, cloud core will be a better option..

BUUUUUUUUUUT if you're willing to wait get these:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset

$120, great price for the performance provided..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.